Pioneer Powermeter, real use case

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Infin1ty

by Infin1ty

Darceking wrote:Out of interest, do you think a SRM Chain Catcher with Magnet attached would work with the pioneer ?

Even if it will seem like it's working, I wouldn't count on it.
Every magnet is is different, I assume Pioneer produces a specific Magnet to match their sensors, It will probably work but if you own their head unit you will probably see some weird data when looking at the Vectors.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

topflightpro

by topflightpro

You should be fine with the SRM chain catcher magnet. Pioneer isn't developing new magnet technology. They all use "Rare Earth Magnets." You could even go online and buy generic magnets if you want.

fezi

by fezi

topflightpro wrote:You should be fine with the SRM chain catcher magnet. Pioneer isn't developing new magnet technology. They all use "Rare Earth Magnets." You could even go online and buy generic magnets if you want.

^^^^ This. I've used quarq magnets, some generic rare earth magnets and stuff I've had lying around from speed sensors all just glued to the frame and they work just fine with not just pioneer but any power meter with reed switches in them.

Darceking

by Darceking

I seen how you glue magnets to your frame Fezi :) I am just trying to find out how to spend money :)

reknop

by reknop

Infin1ty wrote:
benhama wrote:Yes you do need to use the Pioneer head unit to upgrade to the latest firmware. I recently purchased both the Dura-ace and Ultegra versions. The Dura-ace version had the latest firmware and wake up / cadence worked out of the box. The Ultegra had the older firmware and initially required the magnet to wake / up cadence. Once the firmware had been upgraded on the Ultegra the magnet was dis guarded and now it works the same as the Dura-ace version. Perhaps your LBS will allow you to borrow a head unit to update your firmware?

Pioneer has a small software to update the Firmware using a standard ANT+ USB stick for those who don't own their Head unit, you just need to ask them for that.

I wonder if it is other software than Pioneer Cycle Cloud Connect. http://pioneer-cyclesports.com/us-en/su ... anual.html

I must say that firmware upgrading over Wi-Fi of both the Pioneer SGX-CA500 (head unit) and Pioneer SGY-PM910L (left only power meter) was a very robust and reliable process.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

Infin1ty

by Infin1ty

reknop wrote:
Infin1ty wrote:
benhama wrote:Yes you do need to use the Pioneer head unit to upgrade to the latest firmware. I recently purchased both the Dura-ace and Ultegra versions. The Dura-ace version had the latest firmware and wake up / cadence worked out of the box. The Ultegra had the older firmware and initially required the magnet to wake / up cadence. Once the firmware had been upgraded on the Ultegra the magnet was dis guarded and now it works the same as the Dura-ace version. Perhaps your LBS will allow you to borrow a head unit to update your firmware?

Pioneer has a small software to update the Firmware using a standard ANT+ USB stick for those who don't own their Head unit, you just need to ask them for that.

I wonder if it is other software than Pioneer Cycle Cloud Connect. http://pioneer-cyclesports.com/us-en/su ... anual.html

I must say that firmware upgrading over Wi-Fi of both the Pioneer SGX-CA500 (head unit) and Pioneer SGY-PM910L (left only power meter) was a very robust and reliable process.

Yes, it is a different software, it's a small application they developed internally (I assume) to make the process quicker, probably for their Sponsored teams that needs to upgrade quite a few of those Sensors.

ameenr

by ameenr

tomee wrote:sorry to bring this back up but i'm having issues with my ca500 headunit.

the speed keeps bouncing up and down 5km/h when i view the GPX file. I have disabled GPS speed on the unit and using the new version of the Garmin speed sensor. I tried to use GPS speed and the same issue happens.

Also the GPS tracking is always off 5 to 10 metres for me when i view the ride on strava.

anyone else having similar issues?

I'm having the EXACT same problem! Last week I installed the Dura Ace dual sided crank and use the CA500 head unit. The speed graphs on Strava look like crap! The speed bounces literally anywhere from 3-5 MPH the entire ride. This is with the firmware fully updated. A support ticket has been opened with Strava, but im not going to hold my breath. Makes me want to go back to running my garmin.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

ameenr wrote:
tomee wrote:sorry to bring this back up but i'm having issues with my ca500 headunit.

the speed keeps bouncing up and down 5km/h when i view the GPX file. I have disabled GPS speed on the unit and using the new version of the Garmin speed sensor. I tried to use GPS speed and the same issue happens.

Also the GPS tracking is always off 5 to 10 metres for me when i view the ride on strava.

anyone else having similar issues?

I'm having the EXACT same problem! Last week I installed the Dura Ace dual sided crank and use the CA500 head unit. The speed graphs on Strava look like crap! The speed bounces literally anywhere from 3-5 MPH the entire ride. This is with the firmware fully updated. A support ticket has been opened with Strava, but im not going to hold my breath. Makes me want to go back to running my garmin.

And why are you so psyched about it? I know that the speed graph looks ugly on strava, but why is it a problem? The average seems to be ok and it's probably because of the higher data resolution of the CA500.

tomee

by tomee

yeah, ive given up worrying about the speed. I'm just more pissed at the bad GPS tracking

Curious George

by Curious George

Does anyone know the claimed accuracy of the right side only version?

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Curious George wrote:Does anyone know the claimed accuracy of the right side only version?

The sensor is the same, so it should be ±2%. Of course it's just for your right leg.

reknop

by reknop

Curious George wrote:Does anyone know the claimed accuracy of the right side only version?

Why a question about the right side only version ? It's more obvious to start with a left side only version. :)
Just curious to learn about your specific needs.

refthimos

by refthimos

Sbenzie wrote:My pioneer is totally hungry off batteries, the left unit starts switching itself on and off this losing data, after about 2-3 weeks use, and I have to change batteries too resolve... The pioneer head unit say 2.8 volts is still being output..

Have you seen this at all ?

There is a good chance that what is happening is that your connection to the left side battery is going on and off because the pins inside the crank and/or battery cover have become bent and the battery is not being gripped firmly so that the connection with the battery and the sensor is maintained 100%. Try gently bending the pins so that the battery is more secure and pressed firmly into the sensor's connection and see if that helps.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

beeker

by beeker

reknop wrote:

Why a question about the right side only version ? It's more obvious to start with a left side only version. :)
Just curious to learn about your specific needs.

Reviving an old thread.....

If he's like me and rides the previous version of the Madone with the undermount brake, it becomes a good solution with keeping the existing DA 9000 brake and it interferes with the left side.

And for those seeing the spikes on Strava, I see that as well. I emailed both Pioneer and Strava and got nowhere - Strava didn't seem to have interest in resolving the issue as they said there was a relatively limited number of these head units compared to something like Garmin.

reknop

by reknop

beeker wrote:Reviving an old thread.....

If he's like me and rides the previous version of the Madone with the undermount brake, it becomes a good solution with keeping the existing DA 9000 brake and it interferes with the left side.

And for those seeing the spikes on Strava, I see that as well. I emailed both Pioneer and Strava and got nowhere - Strava didn't seem to have interest in resolving the issue as they said there was a relatively limited number of these head units compared to something like Garmin.

"ACCURACY AND RELIABILITY
The accuracy of a newcomer on the powermeter market is a valid concern and Pioneer states +-2% accuracy (same as Stages, less than Powertap (1.5%), Quarq (1.5%), and SRM (1%)) but the method to determine accuracy of a powermeter is debated. A direct comparison of powermeter accuracy isn’t as simple as you might think."

https://cyclingtips.com/2014/09/pioneer ... -2-review/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com