TREK Domane disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

shlammed

by shlammed

fletch62 wrote:@bombertodd: I havent used Shimano since about 2006 and zero experience with disc's. The bike came from Trek head office and then the local dealer with the air in the lines. With the new levers it is apparently harder to get pressure into the line as it relies on gravity feed.
Its not the reach adjustment that concerns me, more the lack of a stroke adjustment which is supposed to be present. My levers are the newer ST-RS685 which has no adjustment that i can see. The first model had both adjustments via screws in the lever body. You should be able to see in the photos there is nothing to adjust.

I have been on Campag with KCNC & Planet X calipers, so not the best brakes, but always ran them with as little play/lever pull travel as possible.

Being that I like being able to modulate the brakes, having a nice amount of throw like you posted is great. if you have it fully engage right off the bat you loose any chance at having extra pressure modulation.

Check your car. Im sure the brake pedal moves about an inch from being slow down normally to panic stop. Your just not used to a long throw, IMO.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JensW

by JensW

trek domane disc and that looks like 140 mm discs so the question is why the two bikes in this thread has 160 mm discs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdWsSB9QGkY

Curious George

by Curious George

fletch62 wrote:@bombertodd: I havent used Shimano since about 2006 and zero experience with disc's. The bike came from Trek head office and then the local dealer with the air in the lines. With the new levers it is apparently harder to get pressure into the line as it relies on gravity feed.
Its not the reach adjustment that concerns me, more the lack of a stroke adjustment which is supposed to be present. My levers are the newer ST-RS685 which has no adjustment that i can see. The first model had both adjustments via screws in the lever body. You should be able to see in the photos there is nothing to adjust.
ImageImage
The other photos show how close to the bar the lever pulls back for full pressure. If you are descending in the drops with fingers on the bar and brakes, you can get your fingers caught between the lever and the bar leaving you with no braking at all.
ImageImage
I have been on Campag with KCNC & Planet X calipers, so not the best brakes, but always ran them with as little play/lever pull travel as possible.

Try pressurizing the system from the bottom up. Open the bleed nipple on the caliper and force fluid into the system with a syringe. Worked for me on the front, throw went from 2/3 to the bar to 1/3 to the bar. However I appear to have a more serious issue with a leak in the lever as the rear cannot be bleed properly, and pulls to the bar. Removing the bartape today and noticed mineral oil on the lever body :(

Trkorb

by Trkorb

Jens, they are using 160mm disc in that video it seems?

Trkorb

by Trkorb

Spacer kit came in for the swappable dropouts at the end of last week.

They basically push the forks out about 2-3mm either side - haven't got the new forks yet as they have to come from the USA. I'm sure this will alleviate the issue, but doesn't seem ideal.

fletch62

by fletch62

Went to the LBS and seems the fork will be a 4-6 week wait, to come from the US.
@OliverRB: 2-3mm seems like a lot of load to be placing on the fork either side. I'm not really convinced of this being a solution to the problem, more, creating further problems. Surely the fork is molded to a set structure/design and to then move it outwards 6mm will place even greater stresses on the fork in a way its not designed for?

jeffy

by jeffy

shlammed wrote:having a nice amount of throw like you posted is great. if you have it fully engage right off the bat you loose any chance at having extra pressure modulation.

Check your car. Im sure the brake pedal moves about an inch from being slow down normally to panic stop. Your just not used to a long throw, IMO.

i will +1 this.

on initially using the RS685 i thought "i dont like this" (the freestroke/throw). but after some use it is great. it allows you to 'grab' the lever and get a good firm grasp - in anticipation of braking. and oh the breaking of the shimano hydraulic is just bliss.

Trkorb

by Trkorb

We just got the new forks in yesterday, maybe it is not as much as 2-3mm each side now I have had a proper look...

I'll be putting in the new forks tomorrow so ill report back! (I'm off work today! :D )

grover

by grover

I've just built up a Domane 6 series with SRAM Force 22 hydro. Rear shifting is horrible. Everything is new. Hanger is straight. I've built a lot of bikes and am usually the guy people come to to solve their problem but this has me stumped.

Can someone photograph/describe the rear derailleur cable run please?

I currently have cable outer from shifter to downtube, then cable runs bare through down tube, runs bare over guide at bottom bracket, remains bare through chainstay before popping out of chainstay into cable outer to the derailleur. There is a little aluminium insert that sits in the frame at the dropout end of the chainstay that the cable outer sits in. I am a bit perplexed about the path the bare cable takes through the chainstay though. The chainstay has a bend 3/4 of the way toward the dropout which the bare inner cable needs to negate which seems strange. If it's hitting the inside of the frame that'll be the source of my problems. Am I meant have cable outer running through the chainstay somehow all the way to the bottom bracket?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

My wife has a Domane 6 (standard). You've described the routing perfectly. I run her bike without a liner in the frame but have had no issues at all. Are you sure you haven't twisted the cables in the downtube? Can you post some photos of your current setup? I'll try to snap some photos tomorrow or Friday.

Trkorb

by Trkorb

So, new forks are in and fitted. The inserts have not changed, the fork now has an indent where the rotor originally fouled the fork blade.

So its a redesigned fork!

fletch62

by fletch62

Is there any word as to whether Trek are going to issue a recall, or is it a case of only replacing the fork if the owner brings up the issue?

netromsa

by netromsa

OliverRB wrote:So, new forks are in and fitted. The inserts have not changed, the fork now has an indent where the rotor originally fouled the fork blade.

So its a redesigned fork!

Could you please upload a picture?

Trkorb

by Trkorb

First time posting an image so sorry if this goes horribly wrong...

http://imgur.com/BefCRc6

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffy

by jeffy

that looks like a rushed job, like they have put a dent in the mold