New Shamal Mille!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TK421

by TK421

Lig wrote:Hang on TK421 - so you have been using the same set of pads for 'standard' alloy rims (Zeros) and for your carbon XLRs with no problems :-o ??!! Surely that has got to be asking for some trouble??

How is the braking with the Zeros on the red pads??

Also for info i have just seen the RRP for the Mille is £865 so they should be available for around the £700 mark with discounts which seems very reasonable....

Lig.

Yes, I've used the red pads that came with the carbon XLRs on the Zeros. Absolutely nothing to worry about, even downhill with 70+ km/h. Actually after using my winter bike for a while last winter I finally jumped on the carbon bike early spring (with the Zeros + red pads) and as I was used to the not-so-good braking on the winter bike, first time I had to apply the brakes (Campag Dual Pivot) it almost threw me off the bike lol

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MC2000

by MC2000

I've seen the new Fulcrum Racing Zero Carbon! Bikebug is selling it. It's a beauty. I'm running a Campy Eurus configuration is almost same as the Shamal but slightly heavier. I love the stiffness and response of the wheel. I'm quite consider on the heavier side because of my height (about6ft3') 80kg + bike around 8.5kg, I would like to try a Campy Bora One 35 but not sure if it can take my weight (according to what I know it's advantage only for lighter rider). Option will be Mavic R-SYS SLR, or Shamal Mile or Fulcrum Zero Carbon, any suggestion? For heavy riders? Think these wheels are good for hilly rides and I know Starbike have good price on these wheels.

fogman

by fogman

Not sure what the Campy equivalent to the Fulcrum Racing Zero Carbon will be (if any). I believe the Fulcrum equivalent to the Shamal Mille is the Fulcrum Racing Zero Nite.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

rosuch

by rosuch

Sexy!

tomyboy123

by tomyboy123

Campagnolo Shamal Mille wheelset
1,019.90 €

Campagnolo Bora One 35 and 50 clincher wheelset
1,613.90 €

Campagnolo Bora Ultra 35 and 50 clincher wheelset
2,359.90 €
Last edited by tomyboy123 on Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishyskawa

by fishyskawa

You definitely shouldn't be trying to clean your pads with SANDpaper, gotta use a clean file. Campy requires you use the red carbon pads on the Mille because the rims will eat through the rubber pads quick. If you are going to swap to a Bora/carbon wheel just clean your pads. There is going to be a decal on the brake surface that you will have to peel off before you can use them telling you to be diligent about cleaning the pads so you don't damage the aesthetic of the rim. The front hub flange for all of the 2015 wheels going forward will be a smaller diameter so you wont be able to rebuild into 2014 Shamal/Eurus.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

Campy released a safety bulletin about the red carbon pads on the Mille. They said you should not use them on the Mille because in certain situation it can cause lock ups of the wheel. Like when brake track is slightly wet and catching dry patches as you brake hard. They have now released a new blue pad made specifically for the Mille and is the only pad approved.

They have updated the info on the website about what brake pad to use. http://www.campagnolo.com/WW/en/Support/what_type_of_brake_blocks_should_i_use_for_my_shamal_mille_wheel

Don't know if these new blue pads are approved for carbon wheels. I will ask Campy NA.
██

BernieV

by BernieV

ferrarista wrote:Don't know if these new blue pads are approved for carbon wheels. I will ask Campy NA.

The blue ones, are these the Campagnolo Reynolds brake pads?

ferrarista

by ferrarista

BernieV wrote:
ferrarista wrote:Don't know if these new blue pads are approved for carbon wheels. I will ask Campy NA.

The blue ones, are these the Campagnolo Reynolds brake pads?

No they are nothing like Reynolds. So it looks like they are not approved for carbon rims. Only for P.E.O coated rims.
Attachments
PEO500.jpg
██

Racing2

by Racing2

ferrarista wrote:Campy released a safety bulletin about the red carbon pads on the Mille. They said you should not use them on the Mille because in certain situation it can cause lock ups of the wheel

Thanks for sharing, and what a shame, that makes the Mille/Nite alu wheels way less interesting for dual use with Hyperons/Bora's because you would still have to swap the blocks.

BernieV

by BernieV

This is bad news and a big shame to Campa. First Campa said it is compatible with the red ones. So my plan was to replace my Neutron Ultra and Eurus wheels with the Shamal Mille wheels. On my bike with red brake pads where I use my Bora Ultra and Hyperon wheelset on, it would then be possible to use my 3 wheelsets without changing red brake pads, just cleaning them.

With the news about the blue brake pads it's a total desadvantage to buy a Mille wheelset. Example: if I have to get a spare alloy wheel during driving with my cycling team It wouldn't even be possible to use a classical alloy wheel after a puncture when you ride with the blue pads.

So: unfortunately no Shamal Mille wheels for me.... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
I'm glad I didn't pre-order the wheelset.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

Even though it is not recommended, i'm sure you can still use the red brake pads. You just have to be careful in those dry/wet conditions, especially those who ride in mountain regions where you put high pressure on the brake lever. On flatter grounds it should not pose a problem I think. The new blue pads are just more efficient in braking with the P.E.O coated rims. The red pads will/should not damage anything since Campy have been testing with them from the beginning.
██

spartan

by spartan

has anyone ridden campy/fulcrum wheels with the new black coating. any reviews out. concerned about squealing.

btw what is the for sale eta for these wheels in NA
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

BernieV

by BernieV

Just had contact with ICC (distributor of the BENELUX). They confirmed that red brake pads can be used :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com