Cervelo R5ca crankset options & Build Specs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I just purchased a Cervélo r5ca and was wondering what crankset and bottom bracket options I have. My favorite crankset is the campagnolo ultra-torque but not sure there is a good bottom bracket solution. I want to avoid any bottom bracket creaking so I was probably going to go with a THM product but I am concerned about the spacers needed and the possibility of the bearings running on the carbon part of the THM crank. Any help from you guys would be much appreciated.
Last edited by mnmasotto on Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Andres

by Andres

This is a direct fit BBright frame, so the choices are more limited. I believe Cervelo at one point had options they sold directly, but aside from using reducers, the choices were somewhat limited to 30mm cranks with a spindle long enough (any 386 or Rotor 30mm crank)

jones1991

by jones1991

my preference would be a hambini bottom bracket

grover

by grover

mnmasotto - both cbear and kogel have good reputation and offer bbright to ultra torque options. I'd suggest one that screws together rather than a press fit one if possible as they tend to be more immune to creaking.

jones1991 do you have any affiliation with hambini? Perhaps add some reason to why you recommend hambini. 25% of your post count name drops Hambini which sparks an advertising flag with me.
Capture.PNG

RyanH

by RyanH

R5ca is BBright *direct fit* which is different than all other cervelo models as the bearings are pressed directly into the frame.

uraqt

by uraqt

As Ryan posted R5ca is *direct fit* Are you sure you didn't get a RCA, one of the newer versions? Cervelo changed the name after the "model" run to the RCAs has and they use BBright.

C

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I am 100% sure I have the Cervelo R5CA with the Direct Fit bottom bracket. This is a photo of the actual bottom bracket. Definetly not a RCA! Thanks for all the help. All comments much appreciated.
Last edited by mnmasotto on Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Hambini does not make anything for my bottom bracket configuration. The Direct Fit configuration is 79mm wide and 42mm diameter. I have searched far and wide and it appears there is no viable way to use the Capagnolo UT crankset with this frame. Therefore, I have no way to instal the new campagnolo 12 speed goupset as nobody makes an aftermarket 12 speed compatible chainring for a non-campy crankset (i.e THM or Sram).

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Basically it uses the same bearings and fitment method as a standard BB30 setup, correct? So, 30mm spindle cranks with appropriate spacing each side to “center” things in the frame. And Loctite Primer 7649 and Retaining compound 609 to hold those bearings in place within the shell. Be sure to use a good press when installing. It’s all about the install going forward with these things.
Can’t really see much of the inside of the shell as it just looks like a black hole in the photo but what kind of “circlips” or “ridges” are in there as stops for the bearings?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Not that it helps you, but all Shimano cranks work. Eastons crank, Red 22 BB386 and all Rotor.
Ah, FSA K-Force light works very well to, i have two of these.
I have no idea of THM works, perhaps you could email THM and ask?
No problem with bearings though.
To be completely honest, i would avoid ceramic bearings. I have tried 3 different brands, all of them began to crunch pretty early.
I prefer high quality steel bearings, dual seal for least hassle (most trouble free).
Looking for a tool, I use Enduro BRT-002.
Works great!

https://www.endurobearings.com/wp-conte ... atalog.pdf
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

RyanH

by RyanH

What size is that frame?

Francois_Viviers

by Francois_Viviers

FSA 386 EVO require a specific spacer set for BBright that can be hard to find, but not impossible. the normal spacer set will just make the whole set up slightly too wide and turning crank will have some resistance. As a side note, Hambini BBright BB also does not work with 386evo cranks

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Cal: There are no retaining clipsin the bottom bracket. The bearing simply press in.

RyanH: The frame is size XS or 48.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

THM makes a bottom bracket specific to the "Direct Fit" setup. It includes two 6806 bearings and two spacers. I believe it includes a 9mm spacer for the drive side and a 1 or 2 mm spacer for the non-drive side. Can I assume that all BB386 cranks would also require the same spacers??

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

mnmasotto wrote:Cal: There are no retaining clipsin the bottom bracket. The bearing simply press in.

RyanH: The frame is size XS or 48.
There must be some sort of “shoulder” that the bearings stop up against when you press them in, no? For BB30, there would be a circlips that fit into a groove in each side of the shell. When the bearings are pressed in, it is these circlips that provide the “stop”.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ