Powermeter, for SiSL2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

refthimos

by refthimos

Anyone know the weight of the SRM SISL spider by itself?
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

refthimos wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:11 pm
Anyone know the weight of the SRM SISL spider by itself?
My old one (PM6) was 176g, I have a newer PM7, but didn't get a chance to weigh it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

oldturd

by oldturd

I had originally thought I bought a 110 BCD but instead received a 130 BCD SRM Si Spider which weighs 191 +/- 3 grams (i dont remember which one of my scales at home is off by 3..), which is going back.

It was going to replace my single arm 4iiii (latest gen). My current set up is 170mm SISL2 arms , 109mm spindle with washers, 52/36 spiderings and 4iii weighing 524g (+/- 3 grams)

For what it's worth, the 4iiii reads pretty consistent with my Quarq Dzero.

RyanH

by RyanH

Standard SRM spiders weigh more due to having two batteries (or a larger battery can't remember which). Most compact SRM spiders weigh in the 120g range. My Cannondale SRM spider weighed 121g which was the same as the THM spider.

ms6073

by ms6073

RyanH wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:50 pm
Standard SRM spiders weigh more due to having two batteries (or a larger battery can't remember which).
The two compact 2015 Hollowgram SRM that we own, each have two Li-ion batteries and I think last time I put it on the scale, it weighed in at ~125 grams. Sort of a shameless plug, but currently these powermeters are at SRM USA for new batteries and calibration, and will be available for sale and once they are returned.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

refthimos

by refthimos

Power2Max claims a 157g weight for the NG, which is their lightest option (165g for the NG ECO and 182g for the Type S), so ~120g is pretty darn impressive!
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Just be aware with the SRM stuff when the battery dies (and they do) you need to send it to SRM for a new battery and calibration... My last gen Shimano battery lasted about 2.5 years.. it finally died the other day, so will need to go in over winter... SRM Colorado seems to do a good job, they are helpful for sure.... bad thing with SRM is the prices are still super high.. just got a P2Max NG Campagnolo for literally $1200 less than the SRM... its the exact same arms on there as Campy supplies P2Max and SRM...and in reality the units themselves almost look identical, and are both accurate to the same percentage! P2Max is in Canada as well, so saved me a whole load of hassle dealing with the customs monkeys wanting their fair share of the $

refthimos

by refthimos

ms6073 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:20 pm
The two compact 2015 Hollowgram SRM that we own, each have two Li-ion batteries and I think last time I put it on the scale, it weighed in at ~125 grams. Sort of a shameless plug, but currently these powermeters are at SRM USA for new batteries and calibration, and will be available for sale and once they are returned.
PM6 or PM7? I have no idea when SRM made the switch.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

Guibarhu

by Guibarhu

Hi, I found myself with the same dilema. I have got a SISL2 crankset and actually I have to decide between Power2max NG or SRM. The price is similar (990€ vs 1180€) how much is the weight difference? I will use a Garmin head-unit, any problems with the SRM(offset, calibration, etc) Off course there is another option the NG eco. Thanks

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

RyanH

by RyanH

Weight difference is listed above.

The only annoyance with the Garmin and SRM combo is that it seems to need to send some data to the headunit before it can calibrate. If you have the Garmin set to prompt to calibrate when turning on, it will return an offset of zero which means it didn't really set the zero. If you pedal a few revolutions and try again, you'll get the offset and it worked that time.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Power2max is my recommendation. User friendly accurate and perfect for sisl

petromyzon

by petromyzon

My understanding is that SRM still do not have active temperature compensation. However, I would still favour a spider based solution over single-sided options based upon data quality.

ms6073

by ms6073

RyanH wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:00 pm
The only annoyance with the Garmin and SRM combo is that it seems to need to send some data to the headunit before it can calibrate.
Actually that is a function of the SRM going into a low power/sleep state to conserve battery life and by spinning the crank, the magnet 'wakes' the sensor in the torque ring. For newer Garmin Edge devices, you can turn-on autocalibrate in the Garmins settings for the powermeter and then pedal a couple revolutions, then cost and the Garmin will automatically update the zero offset. The problem then becomes coasting on a descent, it is possible for the autocalibrate to kick off right as you start the next climb resulting in setting the zero-offset under-load.

Sorry for the shameless plug, but I have two 2015 vintage SRM Hoolowgram powermeter spiders, that have not been used since getting them back from SRM at the beginning of the year.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

RyanH

by RyanH

I don't know if that's right. I know it goes to sleep but in the morning I usually spin the crank, turn the Garmin on, it sees the PM and asks if I want to calibrate. I push yes and it results on a zero value for the offset. When I had a pc8, I never had that problem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

RyanH wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:52 pm
Garmin on, it sees the PM and asks if I want to calibrate. I push yes and it results on a zero value for the offset.
I am unsure of the exact time it takes for an SRM to go to sleep, but when calibrating our SRM's, I usually had to wake it up after as little as 20-seconds of inactivity. When we were riding SRM's (now have Shimano PMs), I turned on the Garmin Edge 520 first (now have Edge 1030s), and once the Garmin had finished loading, I would then select the activity profile, then spin the SRM afterwhich the Garmin would prompt to calibrate within a few seconds. The only times I saw zero-offsets that did not match previous numbers was when the batteries in the SRM stared to go flat, but even then it was more of an up/down fluctuation, not a 0 value.
- Michael