Wheels Manufacturing Accelerator 11 cassette

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

JackDaniels wrote:I was hoping to run some of my shimano 10 speed race wheels with a 11 speed super record bike so I picked up one of these. But I could not get it to work.

With no spacer the hub contacts the spokes, with the smallest spacer there is not enough hub to fully engage the 11t sprocket.

Maybe it could work with other wheels.

Can you elaborate? when you say the hub contacted the spokes, you mean the cassette contacted the spokes right? Is it the case that the largest sprocket is indeed offset towards the spokes? Any chance of a few close up pics of the cassette?
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mackers

by Mackers

The extra cog is essentially bolted onto the largest cog of the original (105?) cassette.
(basically like the Shimano 12/14 speed patent)

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

That makes sense.

So... if you have a spoke clearance issue you might be able to space the freehub over a little... maybe a mm or so... by putting spacers on the axle. This will depend on the hub also. You might also want to get a Campy axle and spacers for your hub if available, which would allow you to space closer to the dropout. I wouldn't advise any of this unless you understand what you are doing.

If you can obtain a Campy freehub kit for your wheel, that will be your best bet... and of course you'd need to use Campy cassettes in that case. A redish will be needed for most wheels.
formerly rruff...

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

WMW wrote:That makes sense.

So... if you have a spoke clearance issue you might be able to space the freehub over a little... maybe a mm or so... by putting spacers on the axle. This will depend on the hub also. You might also want to get a Campy axle and spacers for your hub if available, which would allow you to space closer to the dropout. I wouldn't advise any of this unless you understand what you are doing.

If you can obtain a Campy freehub kit for your wheel, that will be your best bet... and of course you'd need to use Campy cassettes in that case. A redish will be needed for most wheels.

There's so much wrong with this, it's hard to know where to start.

There's this

You might also want to get a Campy axle and spacers for your hub if available

which is completely meaningless.

and this

A redish will be needed for most wheels.

which is just completely wrong.

I'd suggest to all reading this to read my earlier posts, and ask if there is something that I have not explained clearly.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

JackDaniels

by JackDaniels

BeeBee30 wrote:
Can you elaborate? when you say the hub contacted the spokes, you mean the cassette contacted the spokes right? Is it the case that the largest sprocket is indeed offset towards the spokes? Any chance of a few close up pics of the cassette?

Yeah sorry I meant the back of the cassette contacted the spokes (Real Design wheels). I'm not going to reinstall the cassette, but I don't get the point as I understand it campy and shimano 11 speed drive trains are compatible, so shouldn't a shimano 11 speed cassette work on an 11 speed campy bike without any special conversion parts?

petal666

by petal666

kode54 wrote:what wheels did you try them with? i have a 10spd Lightweight Gen III. was hoping that i can get something to work for 11spd Shimano set up.
Just buy the 11 speed DT240 freehub, swap out the 10 speed freehub, bang on an 11 speed cassette and you are done.

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

JackDaniels wrote:
BeeBee30 wrote:

Yeah sorry I meant the back of the cassette contacted the spokes (Real Design wheels). I'm not going to reinstall the cassette, but I don't get the point as I understand it campy and shimano 11 speed drive trains are compatible, so shouldn't a shimano 11 speed cassette work on an 11 speed campy bike without any special conversion parts?

Thanks for that. Well looking at the picture the carrier seems to be machined so the it sits further inboard when you slide it on the free hub, so I guess they just add another sprocket amongst the singular ones and change the spacers? Not sure exactley what they are doing to make this work, how are they changing the spacers in the carrier? Removing the rivets, changing the spacers then re-riveting? Are they machining the sprockets thinner at all? So many questions! But I guess you are just governed by how much space you have between the last sprocket and the spokes on your desired wheel? Wouldn't it be a good idea if we knew the space required? Like the minimum distance required from your current outer sprocket to the spokes, say 5mm for arguments sake, to allow you to run the Accelerator cassette? Yeah Campag and Shimano 11 should be nigh on the same.
Ti or dye!

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

JackDaniels wrote:I don't get the point as I understand it campy and shimano 11 speed drive trains are compatible, so shouldn't a shimano 11 speed cassette work on an 11 speed campy bike without any special conversion parts?

You have a 10spd S rear wheel. You are trying to put 11spd gears on it, and 11spd S cassettes are not compatible with 10spd S freehubs. The gear cluster is 2.85mm wider so you can have clearance issues.
formerly rruff...

JackDaniels

by JackDaniels

Ok, I spoke too soon on this. I gave it another try, and using two of the super thin washers included with the cassette I was able to get it to work.

So now I am running a 10 speed shimano wheel on an 11 speed campy bike. I may want to hold off on calling this a complete success until I get a longer test ride, but the cassette is not rubbing, the small cog has plenty of bite on the freehub and it seems to shift well.

I should have read the instructions more thoroughly but I was trying to throw this on an hour before a race.

edit: of course ymmv

MichaelB

by MichaelB

JackDaniels wrote:Ok, I spoke too soon on this. I gave it another try, and using two of the super thin washers included with the cassette I was able to get it to work.

So now I am running a 10 speed shimano wheel on an 11 speed campy bike. I may want to hold off on calling this a complete success until I get a longer test ride, but the cassette is not rubbing, the small cog has plenty of bite on the freehub and it seems to shift well.

I should have read the instructions more thoroughly but I was trying to throw this on an hour before a race.

edit: of course ymmv

So this MIGHT work as I envisaged (hoped) ?

So to sum it up - Shimano 10sp hub and 11sp WM 11 sp Acc cassette = WORKS ? (tbc) :unbelievable:

Whether it is Campy or Shimano 11sp system is irrelevant

JackDaniels

by JackDaniels

I raced with this today and it worked fine. It might be worth asking wheels if they will do a return if it doesn't work on your wheel.

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

I'm thinking wait for Shimano to launch 105 11 speed, those cassettes will have alloy carriers and get your local machine shop to remove material from the lowest cluster like the Accelerator, as long as you have enough clearence at the spokes, BANG the cassette will be Shimano and Campagnolo compatible 8)
Ti or dye!

MichaelB

by MichaelB

@ BeeBee30

The most likely scenario. I'll do my best to just be happy with what I have .... :?

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

BeeBee30 wrote:I'm thinking wait for Shimano to launch 105 11 speed, those cassettes will have alloy carriers and get your local machine shop to remove material from the lowest cluster like the Accelerator, as long as you have enough clearence at the spokes, BANG the cassette will be Shimano and Campagnolo compatible 8)

Why not use the Ultegra cassettes that are already available?
formerly rruff...

ewwhite

by ewwhite

So what is the takeaway? Will this cassette work in a situation with a Shimano 10s freehub/wheel and 11-speed Shimano drivetrain? I'm trying to salvage the use of Shimano WH-7850 wheels, Easton EA70x wheels and a set with White Industries H3 hubs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com