New Garmin Edge 1000

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

milroy

by milroy

You’d think that with the explosion of smart phones, sourcing an economical, high(ish)-res touch screen wouldn’t be that difficult.

Way to squander your market share Garmin.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RimClencher

by RimClencher

Sorry about that, 240x400 not 240x240

Bike radar story link for screen specs.

Correct numbers from here:

Edge 810: 160x240 = 107 pixels per inch
Edge 1000: 240x400 = 155 pixels per inch

Edge 1000 screen size is 7.6 mm (0.3 in) bigger on the diagonal compared to the 810.

TimW

by TimW

Pass...waiting for someone to come up with something smaller and better. Hope my 800 keeps going... A 510 sized unit with the 800/810 capabilities would be fine.

boysa

by boysa

All I want is a customizable menu on my 500! Save me a lot of unnecessary button pushing to get to the screens I need.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Franklin

by Franklin

milroy wrote:You’d think that with the explosion of smart phones, sourcing an economical, high(ish)-res touch screen wouldn’t be that difficult.

There are many hi-res capacitive touchscreens, but I'm not sure there are many hi-res resistive touchscreens. In this case you want the "older" resistive technology (gloves, dirt, water all make capacitive less than functional)

Besides, I'm not convinced this is needed.. or even desireable.

Why I doubt it's needed:
1. The reading distance is pretty big. As with tv's, pixel density is only important as long as you are close enough to see it.
2. You are not looking at it intensively (like reading a webpage). In general you'd be looking at the road and your environment).
3. The amount of data displayed is well controled and limited. As I can look at any webpage I want with my mobile phone, my screen needs to be capable to display that variety of layouts etc. Garmin on the other hand knows exactly how much data there will be shown, so can determine how far they go.

Why I'm not sure it's desireable:
A higher density displays ask more of the integrated CPU, GPU and ultimately the battery.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

At least it does seem that they have done something to address the issue of water making it in to the USB port.

milroy

by milroy

The point I was trying to make ( perhaps poorly) is that surely they could find a screen that covered more of the top of the device. It's idiotic to put this massive thing on your bars for a screen hardly bigger than the 800.

No need to go all out on high res retina whatever, I agree. A little better for mapping would be nice but for numbers it's no big deal.

BTW I'm assuming that the 1000 is more of a recreational device than a race computer. In which case mapping is important.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kode54

by kode54

TimW wrote:Pass...waiting for someone to come up with something smaller and better. Hope my 800 keeps going... A 510 sized unit with the 800/810 capabilities would be fine.

i'm on my 2nd 800. was hoping that the 810 was worth moving up to...but not really. i'm out of warranty and who knows how long the 800 will last. its seen better days.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I'm concerned about battery life. In all honesty, claimed battery life never lives up to the promise. When I travel with my bike, I will routinely ride for 8 or 9 hours, and sometimes I forget to charge my Garmin (or worse, I'm staying somewhere where I can't charge - like camping). 12 hours is cutting it close, especially as the device ages, and the battery starts losing charge, as naturally happens.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Bigger device=bigger battery

Stats

by Stats

Too big I reckon, my Garmin 500 is a good size, I didn't bother going for the 510 because of the increase in size (and not many extra features that I would use) let alone this beast! :)

Franklin

by Franklin

I actually would say that volume didn't grow as they made it thinner. I'm not convinced that's very important for a gps, it's not a smartphone. A few extra MM thickness and a smaller bezle would have been my choice. That said, it could be a GPS antenna/reception design choice?

I wonder how it will look on a 10-11 cm stem. :?

ave

by ave

Hm, no direct Strava segment support, only Garmin Connect? What will happen? Everybody will create mirror segments on Garmin Connect? Or buy the future Strava gadget instead? ;)

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

I can see it now ave; garmin 1010 announced! now with strava integration! $(garmin 1000 price+50)

commendatore

by commendatore

I can see how navigation appeals to some people, but this thing is just not for me.

I'll upgrade from my 500 when there is a smaller/lighter version. The only extra feature I would like to have is uploading activities via phone, but not at the expense of the larger (and more expensive) 510.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com