Helmet Wind Noise?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lucynibali

by Lucynibali

Oswald wrote:
Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:23 am
A lot of noise comes from the straps. You can test this by grabbing the straps under your chin and pulling them tight when riding, you 'll notice the noise level drop instantly.
Oswald - this suggestion gave me back my life :) the wind had been driving me nuts...and your suggestion was the answer. I rode no hands, pulled the straps tight and I was riding in complete silence. Thank you Oswald !!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

EtoDemerzel

by EtoDemerzel

em3 wrote:
Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:22 am
In nearly 35 years of cycling I have never experienced helmet wind noise...from hairnet, to skid lid, to bell biker, to giro foam, etc.....are u sure that what u r experiencing isn't simply wind noise running by ur ears? Isn't that the sound (noise?) that symbolizes the very essence of freedom one feels when riding a bike? If u set out to eliminate basic wind noise then what's next? ...the beautiful sound of rubber from ur tires rolling across the Tarmac, or the whirr of ur chain running through ur gears, or the light humm of ur spokes cutting through the wind??? Sounds like u may need to stop and smell the flowers and take in the beauty (noise and all) of what cycling is all about. EM3
Surprisingly, there is quite a bit of wind noise from biking. Unfortunate but it's good to be aware of
https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/roa ... ring-loss/

HBike

by HBike

EtoDemerzel wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:56 pm
em3 wrote:
In nearly 35 years of cycling I have never experienced helmet wind noise...from hairnet, to skid lid, to bell biker, to giro foam, etc.....are u sure that what u r experiencing isn't simply wind noise running by ur ears? Isn't that the sound (noise?) that symbolizes the very essence of freedom one feels when riding a bike? If u set out to eliminate basic wind noise then what's next? ...the beautiful sound of rubber from ur tires rolling across the Tarmac, or the whirr of ur chain running through ur gears, or the light humm of ur spokes cutting through the wind??? Sounds like u may need to stop and smell the flowers and take in the beauty (noise and all) of what cycling is all about. EM3
Surprisingly, there is quite a bit of wind noise from biking. Unfortunate but it's good to be aware of
There is. I have an aeroacoustic wind tunnel at my institute and we had students do measurements of various helmets. 100dB at 50 km/h were not unusual.

Magnetize6932

by Magnetize6932

HBike wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:53 pm
EtoDemerzel wrote:
em3 wrote:
There is. I have an aeroacoustic wind tunnel at my institute and we had students do measurements of various helmets. 100dB at 50 km/h were not unusual.
This sound fascinating! Are there any public results you can share? Either about specific models or effective noise mitigation methods.

EtoDemerzel

by EtoDemerzel

Magnetize6932 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:24 am
HBike wrote:
EtoDemerzel wrote:
em3 wrote:
This sound fascinating! Are there any public results you can share? Either about specific models or effective noise mitigation methods.
I use noise reduction earplugs. They work well without blocking hearing. earpeace is one but there are many brands. 20+db reduction

stanvr

by stanvr

Look into "cat ears". There might be multiple brands making these, I haven't tried them but I know a few who don't leave the house without them. They drastically reduce wind noise, so you can ride in peace, hear others or traffic, or listen to your podcast. I'm still tempted to try them (and look ridicilous) but I find myself more on the forum than on the bike....

HBike

by HBike

Magnetize6932 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:24 am
HBike wrote:
EtoDemerzel wrote:
em3 wrote:
We will put this on a more scientific basis by offering bachelor and master thesis projects right now, to systematically test that.
Initially we put people in the wind tunnel sitting on a bike, but most students are untrained and not able to hold a position for some time.
So we now use a special head+shoulder-model-body, which includes special microphones within the head to directly measure the sound arriving at your ear (this is used in industry for headphones and other equipment tests, too). We then can test different inclinations, yaw angles, speeds systematically.
I have helmets from Trek (new Ballista), Scott, Giro (the one Visma uses right now), Lazer (previous Visma helmet) and stuff people buy for MTB. Quite a difference.
As soon as a thesis is finished, I can share results. But that will take a while. We have one thesis currently running using the new Trek Madone Aero bike, which is simulated to check the effect of the IsoFlow. Had a whole bike scanned to generate an accurate wireframe-model for the simulations, vs. one without it. Wanted to see what happens. In a second step students will built upon it by including a person on it with leg movement.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Wind noise is very apparent when you bomb down a descent.
This is the low profile version www.cat-ears.com/product-page/airstream ... nr-product
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Oswald wrote:
Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:23 am
A lot of noise comes from the straps. You can test this by grabbing the straps under your chin and pulling them tight when riding, you 'll notice the noise level drop instantly.
This was a big issue for me when I started riding 30 years ago. Always hav3e worn a helmet and discovered it was the straps right away. Tried making my own blockers like the cat ears but eventually gave up and lived with it. At 58yo I'm convinced it's contributed to my hearing loss. I now use earplugs like motorcyclist use. One thing that always seemed odd to me is why weven still manufacturers still use wide nylon straps instead of a thinner kevlar/dyneema strap by the ears. I'm sure that would mitigate a lot of the noise.

rajMAN

by rajMAN

The straps on my kask seem to generate an awfull lot of wind noise, as an experiment I am going to try some Microporous tape to tape down the strap to see if this improves the noise.