Astute Skycarb Saddle anyone?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

coloclimber

by coloclimber

Anyone seen one or ridden it? Dimensions look very close but is it anything like an SLR?

http://fairwheelbikes.com/astute-skycar ... -6045.html
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

russianbear

by russianbear

Pretty heavy for the $$$$.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vlastrada

by vlastrada

I am pretty intrigued too, particularly as to whether they are effective/comfortable for real world riding/racing...

@ russianbear: true, they may well be overpriced, there are plenty of much cheaper and much lighter carbon saddles out there, but don't know hoow many of those I would like to have under my butt on a 2hr trainer session...or hard 4hr+ ride...

...the question for me is whether the skycarb strikes a good balance between weight and comfort

the guys who created it apparently are designers :?: , which slightly worries me, as you'd hope for a decent knowledge of anatomy/kinesiology/biomechanics/ cycling, but I am hoping some technical people were involved too...or maybe i am just too much of a geek... :)

3delis

by 3delis

Picked up one last month from Jason - had an slr superflow before that - great comfort and design - flatter back end for good support - doesn't slope dramatically on sides :thumbup:

vlastrada

by vlastrada

3delis: can you give us your ride impressions?

is it still comfortable on long/hard interval/power sessions on the trainer?

how does it compare to other padded saddles on long hard rides?

thinking on replacing my arione 00

cheers!

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

So, I mounted an Astute Skylite to a 3T Palladio post with the oval DiffLock installed and was shocked at how much flex there is in the saddle from front to back. The saddle rails are locked down tight, but I can flex the nose down and the tail down so much that it is honestly a bit of a concern. The saddle's top shell/section also seems to swim fore-aft quite a bit. I have not ridden it yet, but as a heavier rider at 88 kg now, I am hesitant. Anyone know if this fore-aft flexibility is part of the Astute design?

EDIT: It seems that the design has some rubber bumpers between the saddle rails and the shell, which may be the cause of this free float. I will give it a shot. If it does not work for me or I get impaled, you'll hear back. If it works, you won't hear from me. Typical... Haha
Last edited by Stolichnaya on Mon May 05, 2014 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

vlastrada wrote:@ russianbear: true, they may well be overpriced, there are plenty of much cheaper and much lighter carbon saddles out there, but don't know hoow many of those I would like to have under my butt on a 2hr trainer session...or hard 4hr+ ride.

It's all about finding the right shape for your body, it has no correlation to price or weight.

That said, I use my SMUD saddle on ultras and doubles as well as interval training. So that's, at most, 14hrs down to 1hr sessions.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

moshinho

by moshinho

Stolichnaya, can you give feedback about the saddle?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com