Oakley Warranty

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Skunk

by Skunk

Has anyone warrantied anything through Oakley lately? They're trying to charge me $29 to have an "technician" inspect my frame to see where the paint flaking came from. Is this a standard charge?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr_Carlos

by Mr_Carlos

I'm in the UK. I had paint flaking on my White Chrome Radars. I sent them back (well within warranty period) for replacement. It's already happened again. I will be sending these back too (still within warranty period). Normally Oakley are good with returns. Changing lenses really doesn't work on the chrome versions, really disappointing

Skunk

by Skunk

Did you have to pay $29?

Mr_Carlos

by Mr_Carlos

No, nothing

Skunk

by Skunk

Lame! Thanks for the reply.

Oakley needs to fix their paint flaking problem.

stephenkchang

by stephenkchang

I've broken frames that they don't even make any more. They were willing to give me a discount on similar models. I'm talking about frames I've had for 7+ years. I don't know about current models with paint flakes, but if they find that it is a defect perhaps they will refund the inspection fee.

garysol1
Shop Owner

by garysol1

you are less than 2 hours away from there headquarters. Checking out Oakley's home from the inside is well worth the drive. It is an amazing facility. It may be worth your time to make the drive.
Emonda SLR
Kona JTS
Specialized AWOL
Trek Stache 9.7
Specialized Fatboy

the Repeater

by the Repeater

BS.

Nail polish/model paint....?
Serious delirium.

aarw

by aarw

my chrome m-frame's have just started flaking...

upside

by upside

I have never been charged for anything sent back to Oakley..have sent cracked lens back a few times and never a charge...

Camelfred

by Camelfred

upside wrote:..have sent cracked lens back a few times...
Hmm , how do you treat you sunglasses ?! :shock: :shock: :wink:
Camelfred

hurricanejosh

by hurricanejosh

my racing jackets snapped across the bridge when in my bag. i'm sending them to be inspected, no cost. if they find the manuafacturing was at fault, they'll replace them for nothing. if they think i broke them, frame replacement is $40. not too shabby for a $250 pair of sunglasses.

Stats

by Stats

I had a pair of Oakley Flak Jackets in polished black that started flaking... I think it may have started during the warranty period but I didn't do anything about it until years later...

even still, nothing was charged for them to have a look at the glasses, however I did have to pay for the replacement frame (at a good discount though)... except I learnt from my mistake and bought the black inc colour - which has the colour of the frame injected into the plastic of the frame itself (so it is very lightly transparent) - however there is no more 'layering' or 'coating' of paint to flake off...

I have also heard from Oakley that the Matt coloured options are the biggest culprits when it comes to flaking (fwiw).

mattr

by mattr

If its in warranty, and you have a receipt, it tends to be free.
If its older glasses, out of warranty, of you've lost the receipt, you tend to be charged a nominal fee. Used to be a flat rate of £12/€15 then it went up about 10 years ago to something like £18/€25. It's probably gone up again since then.

Frames are easy to warranty, lenses can be a pain. As it's *usually* scratches that do for them, and that's not covered.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Getter

by Getter

I had some paint coming off the ear stems on my Jawbones. Went through the shop I bought them from...got another pair at no charge.