LOOK 695, Ride Report.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

shadwell

by shadwell

LOOK 695 ride report.

Okay so I've now had it for 2 weeks.
I was going to post the day it turned up but thought your get more out of the info following some saddle time.

1./ Mass:-
As per the recent RIDE magazine review:
Frame 1036gms (Large)
Forks 318gms (uncut)
Headset 92gms
E-post 248gms
Zed Crank 560gms (Red Rings fitted, TA lightweights on order)
Stem 184gms (110-120mm)

Its running with:-
Force 2010 Shifters (white hudz)
Force 2010 Callipers
Force 2010 FR Mech
Force 2010 Rr Mech
3T Ergo Sum 44ctr to ctr bars (10mm off each end)
LOOK white bar tape
SLR XP White saddle
Speedplay Zero SS pedals
HED Ardennes flamme rouge custom (black x-rays)
Conti Supersonic inners
Conti GP4000s 23mm clinchers
Token Ti skewers (black)

So nothing exotic, but all solid dependable kit.
Total mass is unknown right now as the scales shat themselves right after the frame strip down !!!
But I'll get it sorted in the near future.

2./ Ride:-
Previously on LOOK 595 (exact same build up)
Scott CR-1 (practically same build up)
Ribbelle Scandium DA & Ultegra mish mash, Kysiriums, Deda Black fin fork etc.

The best way to summarise is that is is familiar to the 595, but more lithe and agile, feeling lighter around its centre, and hence more responsive. However this has never translated into skittish / nervousness. It descends as well as the 595, i.e. like a missile, dead stable and calm, carving corners predictably, responding to increased body English as required, but requiring little effort to change course. It’s a fantastic balance for a road race frame.
The characteristic smooth ride of the 595 is not lost, but the direct feel between front wheel head tube stem and BB is certainly greater than the 595. Thanks to running identical builds I can confidently say this is the frame character and not a sum of components.
Climbing and sprinting (what I can muster) reveals this connection and front end assuredly leaving you to focus on nailing yourself and ever requiring undue attention to maintain you course.
Flat, again the frame sees to translate power more directly to the rear wheel, making 40-50kmh tempo pacing very rewarding. (aside from pain).
Descending:- up to 86kmh so far (haven't gone up in to the proper hills on the Gold Coast yet…) its very predictable, stable planted and communicative, the front end rigidity never forcing you to second guess the line its going to take through less than perfect surfaces (PS the roads on the GC in the hinterland are largely rough grade asphalt which gives you that drifting sensation).

So all in it’s a very classy act.

So are there any BUT's? Well yes.
1./ Paint quality is as per 595, i.e. very good graphics application and alignment, but suffering numerous inclusions i.e. specks, grains, either under paint or clear coat. A minor issue but something most manufacturers have under control with quality air filtration and between coat inspection etc. And certainly below par for a frame of this calibre
2./ Internal cable runs:- The Rear mech down tube guide had been crossed over the Fr mech guide cable inside the frame. This caused the Fr Mech tension to pull on the Rr mech cable totally buggering up the shifting front and rear. This took a long time to pin down after going through all the usual suspects, cable outer / inner / mech settings, cable lube, kinks, shifter, reach mech etc etc etc. Be aware if your shifting is problematic.
3./ Rr Mech hanger alignment. This was poor requiring realignment (park tool). There was no rear stay bridge in the packaging either. Easily cured but shouldn't be necessary. Also contributed to poor shifting before correction.
4./ Chain ring bolts supplied sheared their heads off at the prescribed torque with thread anti gaul applied. Steel replacements were enlisted at zero notice, but again this shouldn’t happen.
5./ Missing Bidon bolts on the frame. Looks like the process step was missed at the factory.

Not a concern as such but something to be aware of s that the Zed cranks needed the bearing preload increasing after a few hundred kms following the BB bedding in. No issues with this, just something to look out for (not required on Shimano for instance).

Well there you go. Hopefully some useful info for anyone considering buying this module.

Cheers Shadwell. :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Couldn't you paint the 5 to a 6 on the 595? Bad stella, bad stella, :lol: now go to your room.

I'm sure it's a fine ride.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Those deficiencies are almost unforgivable for for a frame at this level. The issue with the internal cable routing is quite disturbing. I bet yours is not the only frame that will have this problem. Still a very nice frame but.....
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

elviento

by elviento

Seems too many buts for a frame of this level.

Mr.Gib wrote:Those deficiencies are almost unforgivable for for a frame at this level. The issue with the internal cable routing is quite disturbing. I bet yours is not the only frame that will have this problem. Still a very nice frame but.....

shadwell

by shadwell

Funny but now the minor issues have been resolved, it rides so well its all forgotten...

I get the feeling the LOOK factory is flat chat getting market fill out and in the rush have let slip a few minor issues.

Re the cable guide, its such a prick to control the guide as yo uin sert it that i could well imagine them getting crossed over even if you were being careful...
That said it shouldn;t reach the customer.

Anyhow I am a happy camper Andreas at Bellati sport was a legend, the product truly delivers where it matters and the minor issues become irrelevent once the product has received some use / stone chips etc etc.

hockinsk

by hockinsk

Didn't know there was a Park Alignment tool for carbon dropouts and aluminium hanger? How does this work then?

shadwell

by shadwell

You bend the alu drop out bloody carefully supprting the attachment point to the carbon drop out....

Luckily (or by design) the alu hanger is relatively soft so forms easily.

RIDE mag sample bike had this issue also... just for note.....

hockinsk

by hockinsk

Cool. I always assumed hanger would just snap. Luckily my 595 seems pretty bang on anyway.

OrPe

by OrPe

The paint imperfections seems (to me) like an issue that should not be there for a frame at that caliber.
my guess is that you are entitled to a replacement frame from LOOK.

LOOK have always been for the immaculate finish. 695 should not be any different.

Great to hear it is a better ride than the 595. the 595 ride quality the best I've experienced.

enjoy it (-:

Oren.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

OrPe wrote:The paint imperfections seems (to me) like an issue that should not be there for a frame at that caliber.
my guess is that you are entitled to a replacement frame from LOOK.
By building it up the op has accepted the finish. If he'd rejected it out of the box that's another matter.

Tracerboy

by Tracerboy

Mine 695 SR size M, Red colour should be in my hands somewhere round February 2011 hope so :(
Really hope that there is no issues like that :x
695 is really high end pricing frameset and quality must be 100% perfect.

Can you please send close up pictures about that painting and the rear end problem.
Also picture of complete bike is welcome.

Thanks advance.

shadwell

by shadwell

Cheers guys,

For me its a bike to be used not a piece of jewellery, so paint inclusions wouldn't warrant returning it and waiting another 3 months to get a replacment....
For some its a deal breaker, and thats why i mentioned it and posted it, so people can keep an eye out.

My 595 Rr hanger was also perfect out of the box, and yes its rides so well too.

I am currently working in Perth riding the dribble, and after that scandium frame with jeavy kysiriums both Looks feel like heaven...

Re the pics I'll get some posted when i get back to the GC. The paint specs will be hard to capture on camera, but I'll give it a go.

:thumbup:

CSKeller

by CSKeller

Shadwell,

Do you have the regular version or the SR version?

shadwell

by shadwell

I have the regular or both 595 and 695.

I am 78kgs 185cm tall and no sprinter, more roleur if anything.

I have personally never found either to lack in stiffness.
So for me I can;t see the benefit of the greater stiffness in either case.
I actually covet the compliance on the poor road surfaces you get in OZ.....

What I do notice with the 695 is a more connected feel of the front end as a whole and between front end and BB relative to the 595.
Both frames still ride remarkably smooth however.

Hope this is in anyway helpful

eigner

by eigner

Pictures ? :noidea:
Current: Colnago CX Zero Di2 Disc, Cannondale F29 carbon3
Previous: Scott Plasma 3 premium, Parlee Z3SL, Parlee Z4, Argon18 E112, TREK TTX7.0, S-Works Transition, Pinarello F4:13

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com