Power meter options for Campagnolo bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

duz10s

by duz10s

Hi Guys,

Just after some help

What are my options for a campy fitted Colnago C59 to add a powermeter

Only options I see are

SRM - great product but very $$$$$

CycleOps - well priced but not a great option for me
2015 RCA with Di2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dalai

by Dalai

Of those currently available, there is also Quarq and P2M...

PCH

by PCH

Hi there,

Although you say the PowerTap is not an option, why? Is it because you have the Bora's and would need a new wheelset rather than have the Bora built with the PT hub?

Another new option is to look at the Garmin Vector power meter (only new to the market) and replace both pedals with Look Keo compatible cleats. These are ANT+ compatible. Not sure when released in Oz or if they are very good.

I have a PT hub on my wet weather bike and if I really wanted power measurement on my C59 I would swap the rear wheel but that would be a hassle and make my C59 heavier - not that desirable. So I set a PB on my wet weather bike and then uses the stats to try for a new PB on my C59 (without power). Since I spent heaps of $'s on the C59 I need to do a better time otherwise I will be feeling a bit unhappy about the expense on the C59 :roll:

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

I have been using the rotor 3d version of the quarq with rotor rings and I could not be happier. If you do choose to get the rotor rings as well make sure you have a good shop install them, I had to shave my front derailer cage to get clearance for the 53 tooth ring.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

As pointed out already.

The Quarg's are probably your best options for both price as well as compatibility. :thumbup:

They are especially good value if you have ANT+ compatible receiver such as those Sony Ericsson phones or even a Garmin. Since you won't need to spend on a separate readings receiver unit.

duz10s

by duz10s

mvacolnago wrote:I have been using the rotor 3d version of the quarq with rotor rings and I could not be happier. If you do choose to get the rotor rings as well make sure you have a good shop install them, I had to shave my front derailer cage to get clearance for the 53 tooth ring.

nice thanks, what exact model is that and if u don't use the Rotor rings what other options are there?
2015 RCA with Di2

NS

by NS

What about the garmin system?

audiojan

by audiojan

Another vote for the Quarq... I have a Rotor 3D with Rotor Q-Rings on my Campy Record equipped Look 595. You can use standard rings as well of course. The Quarq system is really nice, never drops a signal, I can use any wheel I want (have several depending on the ride, terrain, etc.). I even swapped in between my TT bike and my road bike for a short while (until I upgraded my TT bike to the Look 596, which is using it's proprietary crank).
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

goodboyr

by goodboyr

duz10s wrote:
mvacolnago wrote:I have been using the rotor 3d version of the quarq with rotor rings and I could not be happier. If you do choose to get the rotor rings as well make sure you have a good shop install them, I had to shave my front derailer cage to get clearance for the 53 tooth ring.

nice thanks, what exact model is that and if u don't use the Rotor rings what other options are there?

The 130 bcd rotors will take any rings with the standard 130 bcd pattern, the compact 110 bcd will take standard rings but not the shimano 6700 or 7900 rings. It's all on the quarq.com website.

http://quarq.com/cinqo_rotor

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

You have to use campy 11 speed rings, there are several options Rotor makes standard round rings, quarq only approved a few brands of rings as stiff enough to give accurate readings, contact them for a current list. I use a garmin 800 as the head unit.

I highlly recommend the rotor rings, it took about 3 weeks to get used to them but there is no going back for me.

duz10s

by duz10s

Thanks gents nearly pressing the go button on a Quarq Rotor 3D crankset

Just saw SRM do a Rotor 3D model, does this not work with campy as its much cheaper than the campy SRM just released?
2015 RCA with Di2

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

It'd work just fine.

One reason it's cheaper than the Campagnolo SRM is that this crank has seperate crank arms and spider from the begining, so it's easier for SRM to make them.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

apLe

by apLe

I use Rotor 3D crank with power2max and stronglight ct2 chainrings (10/11 version) with my super record - works great. I've paired it with edge 500.
18' R5 coming soon...

Geoff

by Geoff

With your Colnago, you have lots and lots of SRM options. Given the conventional bottom bracket, you could use any of the non-proprietary-spindle SRM's. Personally, I would still recommend the old stalwart: the SRM Professional. Other than the Si PowerMeter, the old Pro is still the most accurate version of the SRM.

If you are really budget-conscious, you can probably pick-up a very serviceable, used, wired SRM for under 1K today. That will be a good foray into the world of training with power and will last you many years. With a little work, you can probably run the cables internal and, with rear-wheel speed, it will look almost like a wireless set-up.

Te Campagnolo system is really a piece of art. Even more than the DA 7900 and 7950 series of PowerMeters, it looks completely 'factory'. If you can swing it, that is the prefect SRM for a Campagnolo Group.

BrianAllan

by BrianAllan

I've been using my Dura-Ace 7800 crankset with 10 speed for a few years without issue. I suspect 11 speed would work on it just fine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com