Hongfu FM-066/Chinese open mould frame thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chalkie

by chalkie

That's a Syntace one. Not quite sure if I like it or not. Looks a bit too much like a suspension stem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

That the first one I've seen in a gloss finish. Amazing weight, but the wheels probably shave a pound or two, and are likely worth more than my entire build... :D
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

sanrensho

by sanrensho

For those that have ordered from Hongfu, which contact person did you deal with? (Email address would also be appreciated.)

Thanks.

trilocus

by trilocus

I contacted with nancy

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Thanks.

seanblurr

by seanblurr

Ordering one of their "new" FM-069's. Seems to be a Canyon look alike.
Instagram @seanblurr

Rick

by Rick

Excuse my ignorance of the subject, but what as an "open mould" and what is a non-open mould ?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Open-mould refers to a frame/set that is available through several vendors. Think of it like "open source" software.
Non-open-mould refers to a frame/set that is either proprietary to a specific brand, or a frame design that is specifically sourced to brands from design firms.

Examples of the latter can be Edge Design, Axman, and a whole lot of other frames that you may or may not hear about since you aren't a manufacturer or brand.
These design firms rarely, if ever, sell their frames to consumers. The only chance to get those is through a purchase of a sample frame through a brand that ordered one. Very, very rarely one may show up on a marketplace such as eBay or CL, or wherever, and these are usually a sample that was passed down the line from a brand after they finished their evaluation.

If a brand (particularly those that are starting off) is unable to hire their own designers and engineers, they will source this skill from a design firm.
Sometimes an upcoming brand can't afford a design firm, so they will source from an open-mould vendor instead and give it a paint job.
Examples of this: Ritte's Bosberg, PedalForce frames, and as we saw at the most recent Eurobike even some slightly-more established brands are sourcing open-mould TT frames.

Examples of the 'open-mould' frames can be found through common vendors, such as Hong-Fu, Deng-Fu, Flyxii, etc:.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

micky

by micky

I heard guys from velorooms forum having broken fm066; how about the owners in here?
Honestly curious as I was considering one.

eric

by eric

Mine's not broken yet.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

4k on mine so far and not a hiccup.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Rick wrote:Excuse my ignorance of the subject, but what as an "open mould" and what is a non-open mould ?

It's just this silly American construct that means nothing. A 'generic frame' has, I think, a bit more meaning.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Burn.

LouisN

by LouisN

Explain SLCBrandon ?

Louis :)

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Haha, sorry, shouldn't have even commented.

It was a sarcastic reply insinuating "he really got us silly Americans" with that comment. When in reality "open mold" very adequately describes the situation. The mold isn't "proprietary" and is "open" to anyone that would like to purchase from it.

Seems like I'm reading more and more comments like "silly Americans". Odd.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com