slipping stem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bobalou

by bobalou

Not sure if it would be practical for a stem but for a slipping seatpost (carbon post in a carbon frame) hairspray worked great for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

In Germany Dynamic sells an assembly paste for this purpose.

Just for info, Tacx is distributing the Dynamic products for the Benelux.

Tour Magazin has found that up to 50% less torque is required to retain components assembled with the paste.

Tacx states a mere 30% but that's a lot as it is already.

Does anyone have any hands on experience with this?
It may just the ticket to keep carbon handlebars in place without damaging the fibers.....

Ciao, :wink:
Last edited by fdegrove on Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

popawheelie

by popawheelie

I re-assembled it and here's what i did. I ruffed up the sleeve on the inside where it contacts the steerer. I sprayed a contact adhesive on the inside and put some granules on it from some emery paper. I cleaned the steerer. When i clamp it on the steerer the granules should bite into the carbon and keep it from slipping.
Time will tell if it works.

divve

by divve

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

In Germany Dynamic sells an assembly paste for this purpose.

Just for info, Tacx is distributing the Dynamic products for the Benelux.

Tour Magazin has found that up to 50% less torque is required to retain components assembled with the paste.

Tacx states a mere 30% but that's a lot as it is already.

Does anyone have any hands on experience with this?
It may just the ticket to keep carbon handlebars in place without damaging the fibers.....

I'll let you know in a while. I got the stuph but haven't used it yet. I'm also looking forward to solve the corrosion problem I had with my CAAD7 frame and carbon posts.

popawheelie

by popawheelie

divve, if you rub the paste between your fingers how does it feel? Can you feel the granules? Are they real small? or are they larger?

divve

by divve

It's feels a bit like gel with very fine granulates but not rough or abrasive. However, I read from other users that is does dull the finish on the points of contact.

mises

by mises

divve wrote:It's feels a bit like gel with very fine granulates but not rough or abrasive. However, I read from other users that is does dull the finish on the points of contact.

Sounds just like toothpaste to me, which works well with seatposts and saddle rails to keep them from slipping. I haven't tried it on bars and stems yet. It takes very little to make a difference so I haven't noticed any foaming action in the rain. :wink:

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Sounds just like toothpaste to me, which works well with seatposts and saddle rails to keep them from slipping.

You mean the ones containing baking powder, right?

Hmmm....I'm gonna need a dedicated toothbrush holder to sit next to my Polar for those extra long trips.......... :hmm:

Being a snob is an expensive hobby.