Mavic Ksyrium causes a ticking sound ??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cornix

by Cornix

I am going to leave mine as is, as well.
I only notice it when I am going slow on a steep climb. When I am up and going the free ranging nipple doesn't have an opportunity to move back and forth between the 2 fixed nipples.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

veloflyte
in the industry

by veloflyte

G6612 wrote:I recently purchased a new set of custom wheels so have been riding them and my bike makes absolutely no sounds. I put my Mavic Ksyrium SL's back on for a ride and when ever I am out of the saddle pedaling with effort the front wheel will make a pretty loud ticking noise. I will not be using the Mavics on a regular basis they have become my spare wheels but I would like to find out what's making the noise. I am using the same force on the skewers maybe even less on the new wheels. (Chris King R45 hubs) Any Thoughts?

I trued hundreds of mavics while working at the old Wheelsmith Inc. The ticking is due to low spoke tension in most cases. You see...because the mavic ksyrium spokes have such a large head on them, there is a great deal of surface area which equates to greater force needed to reach full spoke tension. I recommend you lube the spoke heads with oil before your next truing/tensioning. And try to use a spoke tensionemeter... It's hard to tell spoke tension by hand on a Ksyrium.

jallen1227

by jallen1227

Hi guys, I have a similar problem in that my front wheel of 2011 Ksyrium Elite's detension during a ride. I have a truing stand and a Park tensometer but may just simply be undertensioning the wheels.

What is the proper tension range for these wheels front and back ?

Thanks,
Jeff

stylish72

by stylish72

Got a similar noise on my Kysirium SL"s, an annoying "tick" it's constant, doesn't matter if you're pedalling or coasting, tried oil on the spoke heads, new bearings and free hub body, bearing preload feels ok but I just can't cure it.

Can't see any cracks around the spoke nipples, and the valve is a good fit in the hole....

Anything else I can do?

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Put your ear to the frame and spin the wheel. If you have a gritty bearing then you should be able to hear it.

It's not too hard with the wheel off the bike either. The trick is to push on the axle inward towards the hub when turning it so you can put pressure on that side only. Any grittyness should be apparent.

If you got a loose bearing it should be apparent in a side play test. Just try to move the rim sideways and see if anything clicks or moves. It should be solid (at proper skewer tension).

Check the valve. Shake the wheel to see if something's rattling inside. Check for loose spokes.

tofumann

by tofumann

G6612 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:39 pm
I recently purchased a new set of custom wheels so have been riding them and my bike makes absolutely no sounds. I put my Mavic Ksyrium SL's back on for a ride and when ever I am out of the saddle pedaling with effort the front wheel will make a pretty loud ticking noise. I will not be using the Mavics on a regular basis they have become my spare wheels but I would like to find out what's making the noise. I am using the same force on the skewers maybe even less on the new wheels. (Chris King R45 hubs) Any Thoughts?
Just a tiny bit of grease on the dropouts (outside and inside) may do the trick. It did for me !!!