Latex tube, what's the correct size?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dj97223

by dj97223

If you inflate it out of the tire you risk stretching only portions of the tube -- it can look a little bit like a balloon animal, if you know what I mean.

Here's my method: 1) put talc powder in a bag; 2) insert tube and shake to get entire tube covered with talc: 3) insert valve stem into rim; 4) put a few inches of the tube in on either side of the valve; 5) go to the side opposite the valve and put a few inches of tube in there; 6) alternate between valve side and other side -- this will distribute the tube rather evenly; 7) once fully within the tire and tire installed, inflate enough to see the tire start to take shape; 8) check under both tire beads to make sure there is no tube trapped under the bead; 9) inflate more, check to make sure nothing is pinched; 10) inflate to desired pressure and enjoy.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

WasFab

by WasFab

dj97223 wrote:If you inflate it out of the tire you risk stretching only portions of the tube -- it can look a little bit like a balloon animal, if you know what I mean.

Here's my method: 1) put talc powder in a bag; 2) insert tube and shake to get entire tube covered with talc: 3) insert valve stem into rim; 4) put a few inches of the tube in on either side of the valve; 5) go to the side opposite the valve and put a few inches of tube in there; 6) alternate between valve side and other side -- this will distribute the tube rather evenly; 7) once fully within the tire and tire installed, inflate enough to see the tire start to take shape; 8) check under both tire beads to make sure there is no tube trapped under the bead; 9) inflate more, check to make sure nothing is pinched; 10) inflate to desired pressure and enjoy.

thanks just did it all went smooth. Beside the latex came new so they already powderd!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Another aspect of using latex inner tubes that you have to keep in mind is that you also have to make sure not to stretch the tyre bead when mounting it.

Doing so may lead to inexplicable sudden explosions of the inner tube because it has found a pathway to leave its container...

And yes, 18-20 inner tubes only belong in a tyre of the corresponding size, i.e. from 18 to 20mm wide.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but when you do patch a latex inner tube, just degrease the punctured area with rubbing alcohol and use round latex patches you cut out from an old inner tube. No butyl and no squared edges please.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

em3

by em3

dj97223 wrote:If you inflate it out of the tire you risk stretching only portions of the tube -- it can look a little bit like a balloon animal, if you know what I mean.

+1
This is the trick...same technique you should use for mounting ANY type of tube.
EM3

Lex

by Lex

Not to threadjack, related matter here: I have a GP Force/Attack combo and the Force is 24mm. Can I use 22-23 Michelin latex in them? Even butyl are not made specifically for 24mm, it's an odd size indeed.