And in the future we will have,.....

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

JackLawrenceXXX

by JackLawrenceXXX

What are your guesses and desires for future parts on bikes?

I see.... solar charging for bike computers.... when they can make the panel small enough... (kind of an issue for battery hogs like the Garmin 705 that I charge every night)

When batteries are better and wireless transmission, I see cable-less shifting... press a button on the bar and it sends a signal to the derailleurs.... again maybe they are solar charged with a tiny panel.... but no more ugly cables....

Bike computers screens inbedded into the handlebars and or the stem...

More weird ideas coming soon... just woke up from a nap and had this on my mind....
-Jack Lawrence
Follow me, hate me or just laugh at me.... it's all good... just never say I am not excited and thinking outside the box! The true spirt of Weight Weenism!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1NadYdEW3Y
Jack@JackLawrenceXXX.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Drive shafts on bikes.

ras11

by ras11

I would be happy with a light weight internal geared hub with low loss.

I see more hubs like the Son20R... and dropping from 350g to 100g.

Cheap power meters

More folding bikes

Metal/carbon epoxy layups

Lightweight Gen 6 will include flux capacitor built into rim layup.
:-) Toys-R-Us

SL58

by SL58

First of all we are going to have inegrated
bar/stem/headset cap/steerer tube
that fork will "clamp on" via brake pivot bolt.

Also forks/seatstays with integrated brakes.

pbb99

by pbb99

They've already had solar powered bike computers. I had the Cateye Solar back in the late 80s. I guess between batteries on non-Garmin computers lasting more than a year and programmable odometers, they decided it wasn't worth putting solar panels in subsequent models.

Scottybee

by Scottybee

practical hydrolic rim brakes
17 and stupid, bear with me

JackLawrenceXXX

by JackLawrenceXXX

Scott... are you okay with those fires near you?

(hey, I love my red hoods... they compliment my Captain America outfit)

I mentioned integrated brakes in forks a few months ago... there were some cool responces to that....

How about a 1 piece fork-stem-bar... and have the front of the head tube bolt on over it?

How about a drive shaft that acts as a chain stay.. and or has a teloscoping transmission built into it.... I bet we'd see that in bikes used to run parts from one area of a factory and back, but do you know what I mean?
-Jack Lawrence
Follow me, hate me or just laugh at me.... it's all good... just never say I am not excited and thinking outside the box! The true spirt of Weight Weenism!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1NadYdEW3Y
Jack@JackLawrenceXXX.com

Phill P

by Phill P

Juanmoretime wrote:Your cycling computer built into your sunglasses. There will be lcd's in the lens so the information can be displayed and you can also see at the same time. It will detect certain eye motion and turn on the display for you to see all your information across your lens including power meter information.

OOoo I like it, very figther pilot! It could also have communications back to the team car or race info on break aways etc!

JackLawrenceXXX wrote:How about a 1 piece fork-stem-bar... and have the front of the head tube bolt on over it?

I like how you are thinking Jack, but how do you get the bearings in there as well?
The idea above about the fork clamping onto the steer which is fixed to the stem won't work, the current way make more sense. The loads of the fork to lower head set are pretty high, you wouldn't want to bolt that just so you didn't have to bolt up the low load area of the stem.

Since weight is now not as big an issue as it used to be, I tihnk aero will become more of a design factor.
I like the idea of brakes integrated inside the fork legs (mini Vs?) or behind the forks.

Most likely electric shifting will improve and become common place on high end bikes. We will get more gears and loose the twin/triple front rings for some bikes/riders. I like the idea of wiring built into the frame so you just plug into the chain stays etc.

Most obivously marketing departments will find ways to make bikes "better" each year to justify them getting more expensive.

mattr

by mattr

Phill P wrote:The idea above about the fork clamping onto the steer which is fixed to the stem won't work, the current way make more sense. The loads of the fork to lower head set are pretty high, you wouldn't want to bolt that just so you didn't have to bolt up the low load area of the stem.

It won't :S
Wow, you'll have to tell pace, or anyone else who makes a fork with a bolted crown....... (Suspension or otherwise.)

(From Retrobike.com)

Sergio

by Sergio

Ultegra Di2, 105 Di2....

Disc brakes....

beatnik

by beatnik

MMM, i don´t vote for electronic groupsets, and also i don´t vote for disc brakes. Perhaps integrated forks and headtubes.
Biomechanical spreadsheet. Sizing&Fitting.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 8e319d185b

Sergio

by Sergio

beatnik wrote:MMM, i don´t vote for electronic groupsets, and also i don´t vote for disc brakes. Perhaps integrated forks and headtubes.

Not sure about disc brakes even myself, but I think electronic groups have future.

jjmstang

by jjmstang

Handlebar mounted Phazers, so you can blast cars after they buzz you :D :D :P
Friends don't let friends ride clinchers

hockinsk

by hockinsk

All I want in the future is for Garmin to release something like the 705, but with a built in smart phone, bigger screen. Carrying a 705 & a phone is just not WW!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drjones96

by drjones96

Juanmoretime wrote:Your cycling computer built into your sunglasses. There will be lcd's in the lens so the information can be displayed and you can also see at the same time.

It's not so far fetched.