cyclingtechnology.com wheel build

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Aerofooz

by Aerofooz

Anyone have a wheel set built by cyclingtechnology.com? I am thinking of purchasing wheels from them and I want to make sure the build quality is good. Other options are wheelbuilder.com and fairwheelbikes.com. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rebizap

by rebizap

All three of those people/company's are here on weight weenies along with people that have their wheel sets im sure some of them will chime in.

I have no personal experience with their wheels.

From what i have read all three have a great rep. and contribute regularly to the site.

ryfry07

by ryfry07

I haven't bought wheels from them yet, but I have been talking to them about it and had the same questions as you. Nico seems like a great guy, and their wheel builder sounds very experienced. I'm waiting to hear back regarding customer testimonials. Maybe we'll get some here... Either way, he knows their website needs to be updated with respect to their wheel building expertise.

robnfl

by robnfl

I just had a set of wheels built by Nico and Co. You're right, Nico is a good guy...he seems to have a lot of knowledge about wheels and definitely stands by his products. The wheels he built for me were the aero PT SL+ he had on his site for a while. I had him use the 18 hole Extralight SX front hub, with CXray spokes on the front and 24 hole PT (black) hub with CXrays on the back, with KinLin 300 rims...oh and red alloy nipples. The whole set came in at 1607 grams, verified on my scale. Not bad for a semi-aero alloy rim PT wheelset! The build quality seems to be top notch. They arrived straight and true. Unfortunately due to a quad injury I have not been able to put more than about 200 miles on them. Oh, and the PT SL+ works flawlessly with the garmin edge 705.

Now, the reason I know Nico stands by his products is because the my Extralight front hub bearings loosen up a tiny bit after each ride. Nico contacted Extralight immediately and has a fix on the way. He paid to have the front wheel sent back to him so he could fix the problem and even offered to send me a replacement "loaner" in the mean time. I don't know if there is a design flaw in the Extralight SX hubs or if I just got a bad one. I did my research prior to ordering the Extralight SX hub, and I don't recall any problems of this nature, but maybe I should have gone with the Elf hub instead. Either way I'm confident that Nico will make it right.

Bottom line is that I would definitely recommend Cycling technology to build a quality set of wheels.

Rob
"Speed kills...oh well, we've all gotta go sometime!"

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

I have met Niko a few times...
He is very nice and professional.
I have never seen one of his builds but i know that he loves what he does and he is a very easy to do business.

coloclimber

by coloclimber

I have seen but never ridden some sweet 45s from Cyclingtechnology / Nico. Nico does a great job of sourcing the parts to make a great pair of wheels and has them built by a guy with tons of experience.
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

minemine

by minemine

Nothing against Nic but I wouldn't buy from them. Look at Ligero for the reason. These people aren't shops and don't have stores. When you have a problem in a year they won't be around to help. Everyone couldn't say enough nice things about Ligero last year. Now they can't say anything nice, it's all complaints. I don't know how long fairwheel has been around, but they do seem to be a real store with a history. Wheelbuilder has been doing it for a while, and is considered by many to be the best. They may be the most expensive but the best usually is.
Eeeeee-radicator

QuattroAssini

by QuattroAssini

MineMine, people have to get started somehow....... :roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com