good deal / bad deal - $999 for 2008 Cosmic Carbone SL Premi

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Good Deal, Good Wheels?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:26 pm

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 22

jmg3

by jmg3

New mavic wheels sale.
Full warranty for a mavic Dealer.
2008 Cosmic Carbone SL Premium
MSRP $1499.90
Sale $999.90
no tax

thoughts???

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kinky_cowboy

by kinky_cowboy

That's probably what the 2009 model will cost, so not a good deal at all

"Cosmic Carbone SL 2009

The Cosmic Carbone SL is now more than 10 years old and Mavic is focusing on more competitive pricing for its oldest wheelset: they are about 30% cheaper than the 2008 version. "

http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-20635150.html

TheFatGuy

by TheFatGuy

It's a good deal.

Remember, just because the 09's are cheaper doesn't mean the 08's cost the dealer any less- this can't really be used for bargaining power.

$999 is good.
This board would be MUCH nicer if everybody would just chill out.

kinky_cowboy

by kinky_cowboy

TheFatGuy wrote:It's a good deal.

Remember, just because the 09's are cheaper doesn't mean the 08's cost the dealer any less- this can't really be used for bargaining power.

$999 is good.

:doh:

The fact that you'll be able to get a better wheel in two months for the same money isn't a lever for bargaining? What universe are you living in?

Sucks to be a dealer with stock of the '08 model, but I wouldn't touch them until local pricing of the '09 is confirmed and then I'd want 20% off that.

TheFatGuy

by TheFatGuy

kinky_cowboy wrote:

$999 is good.

The fact that you'll be able to get a better wheel in two months for the same money isn't a lever for bargaining? What universe are you living in?

Sucks to be a dealer with stock of the '08 model, but I wouldn't touch them until local pricing of the '09 is confirmed and then I'd want 20% off that.

Let me know how that works out for you...

kinky_cowboy

by kinky_cowboy

TheFatGuy wrote:
kinky_cowboy wrote:

$999 is good.

Let me know how that works out for you...

I got 30% off an '05 bike when the only difference in the '06 was a colour change. That's how it works.

TheFatGuy

by TheFatGuy

Maybe my calculator is broken, but those wheels are 33% off.

I'd say that's a pretty fair price, even by your standards.

kinky_cowboy

by kinky_cowboy

TheFatGuy wrote:Maybe my calculator is broken, but those wheels are 33% off.

I'd say that's a pretty fair price, even by your standards.

No, they're 0% off the price of the better 09 model. That's what's at issue here; the 09 model is not just better than the 08, but will be offered at a 30% reduction. The goalposts have been moved by Mavic.

Are you a dealer trying to shift some 08 Cosmic Carbone SLs? That would be the only possible explanation for your trying to persuade anybody that $1000 is a good deal on these wheels.

jmg3

by jmg3

Im not, I was just checking for a buddy and now the daggers are flying
| adiStar Comp 4 |

TheFatGuy

by TheFatGuy

I AM a Mavic Dealer and am not in a position to move the Sl's- we are still selling them at current retail, not next years retail and we have no problem doing so. We sold 2 sets last week.

We are not misleading or dishonest- the wheels sell themselves by their proven 10 year track record.

I would say that matching 09 pricing is noble enough.

I understand that you do not agree, and I am OK with that.

I guess I won't be selling you any wheels... but that's OK, too.

BTW- read my sig.

kinky_cowboy

by kinky_cowboy

TheFatGuy wrote:I AM a Mavic Dealer and am not in a position to move the Sl's- we are still selling them at current retail, not next years retail and we have no problem doing so. We sold 2 sets last week.

We are not misleading or dishonest- the wheels sell themselves by their proven 10 year track record.

Hmmm...

Well, at least you now admit your pecuniary interest in maintaining the price of these wheels. I don't doubt that, 6 months ago, they were worth $1500 a pair on their own merits; they were certainly on my short list for my next set of wheels at about GBP800. However, if a shop sold me a set now, knowing that the 09 would soon be out at a lower weight and much lower price, I'd be a very unhappy customer quite soon and unlikely to go back to the shop for more.

Of course, you might say 'caveat emptor' and point to the fact that lots of things get cheaper shortly after you've bought them, but this is a rather special case. If you're an authorised Mavic dealer, you'll have had the same briefings about the 2009 product line as all the cycling news outlets, and will therefore have the certain knowledge that product you are selling now will soon be superseded by a better and much cheaper replacement. To deliberately withhold this information from your customers looks like terrible customer service, even if you don't find it "misleading or dishonest".

If you briefed the customers who bought last week and they still bought the 08 wheels at full retail because they couldn't wait, that's their business, but if you failed to tell them then I'm very glad you're not my LBS. You could claim, with some justification, that Mavic have placed their dealers in an invidious position by announcing a huge price drop while dealer were still holding 08 product, but that would not provide justification for treating your customers shabbily. That, however, is your business; if you don't expect to see these customers again, you're better off taking your cut of $1500 now than of $1000 later. There's one born every minute, after all.

Perhaps it would have been best, given your material interest in the matter, for you to have kept your own counsel. Perhaps you wouldn't have been so tempted to have stuck your oar in if I'd given a more precise first response; $1000 is a good deal if you have to have the wheels tomorrow, but a terrible deal if you're buying them for next spring.

TheFatGuy

by TheFatGuy

I'll let this be my last post on this matter.

Both sets were sold to long time, very loyal customers whose trust I would never abuse. We fully disclosed the price drop. We treat our customers with all of the respect we can possibly give and we are easily the most accommodating shop I've ever been a part of (either as a customer or as an employee).

Our customers buy products from us because of who we are and how we treat them. We would not still be here if I was as shady as you imply.

Quite frankly, I am disgusted with the leaps and implications you made based on my posts.

jmg3 asked our collective opinions on whether it was a good deal or not and I responded. You and I may not have agreed on the price, but that was OK.

In a larger sense, I think this thread embodies the hostilities that have taken hold of WW more than answered a simple question.

jmg3, I am sorry your thread was hijacked.

To be quite frank, I think this will be my last post to WW at all.

If this forum ever returns to the good-ol'-days of WW I hope somebody will drop me a line.

Until then, adios.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com