Dye-ing lycra

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

San Marco

by San Marco

My white Giordana Tenax bibshorts have come out the wash a dirty light grey colour.

Can I dye them all black?

And if so what with and how? Products available in the Uk would be a big help.

Thanks in advance.

Taniwha

by Taniwha

Sorry, I shouldn't laugh, but your post made me. A mate of mine had exactly the same issue with the same shorts after his wife was less than diligent in sorting the washing and gave them a warm wash with some black clothing.
He was furious, and at a loss as what to do, especially as they were only a week old and the warm wash seemed to have fixed the colour.
He rode around in a pair of marblesque looking shorts for ages after that.

If it's any help, have you tried soaking in Nappisan? I have some white Campy bibs and I find a regular soak overnight in Nappisan brings them back to white pretty easily.
Last edited by Taniwha on Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
In what furnace was thy brain?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MaaseyRacer

by MaaseyRacer

I would experiment with some older white lycra jersey swatches. See how it holds before you go overboard with an expensive pair of shorts.

swinter

by swinter

Lesson is: Don't let your wife do your bike clothes. (You're lucky she didn't stick them in the drier!)

On mine, the black from the seat ran a little in the surrounding area. That really shouldn't have happened -- Giordana is usually more of a quality product than that -- but it's not noticeable really.
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928