Wheel Building questions

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

vxracer

by vxracer

I have two older bikes and not enough budget to get pre-built wheelsets for both. So here goes my questions-

I examined a shop-built carbon/kevlar spoked wheel at my LBS. WOW! Ksyrium- WOW! Since I can get a set of spokes much cheaper than a set of wheels to upgrade my perfectly fine overweight wheels here goes...

Ok- I have set of D/A hubs 32 hole on my current wheels. Dont know current spokes, but the have a G? imprinted on the end. Anybody know who made them? I want to re-use the hub, get some lightweight, modern spokes, maybe replace wheel/ maybe not. Thinking Ti spokes? carbon Kevlar? Could I even do this? Hubs aren't that old, and in great shape. Spoke kits are less than $100- I could do this and save some good weight. One of my spokes is busted from a recent move :cry: Maybe I should leave them alone, and replace the nipple?

Also, I have a MTB set with hubs needing replacement, thick gauge spokes, and decent old Mavic 238 wheels. Fairly light for old MTB wheels. On this set I want to keep the wheels, get either narrower spokes or go Ti or carbon/kevlar, and use a no-disk budget minded hub. What think?

Is this even do-able or a waste of time?

Thanks!

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

vxracer wrote:
Is this even do-able or a waste of time?

Thanks!

What rims are you using? If they're light, just rebuild them with DT Revs or Sapim CX-Rays.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vxracer

by vxracer

On the roadie they are UB control? No other information. I think they were stock, and I had the dua ace put on them.

The MTB has some Mavic 238 that seem fairly light for their age. They do seem pretty light, If I break the wheel down, Ill compare some weights. Dont want to break them down if its a useless idea. Especially if I would be better off money-wise to just replace all. Anybody out there rebuilt older wheels before? Was it worth it?