How to sell to Japan?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Simon BP

by Simon BP

To explain in short: I have some very exclusive items for sale, which I know will be very popular in Japan, and I would therefore like to try and market them there. However I have no idea where to market them, because ebay is not an option. Does anyone know of good websites or facebook groups made for buying/selling high-end bicycle items in Japan?

joejack951

by joejack951

Why is Ebay not an option? I sold a vintage Campy groupset a few years ago to a Japanese customer and used Ebay. The listing wasn't targeted at Japan but that's where my highest bidder lived.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I used to buy hot golf items in the US to sell to Japan and vice -versa. Yahoo Japan auctions was the preferred method over ebay at the time. Yes you will get people on ebay, but in my past experience yahoo japan was much larger audience. I've been out of that area for a long time, so not sure how much has changed. Yahoo japan was also very restrictive (and not free account) and you need to know some basic Japanese to setup a seller account.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

I wonder if it's worth taking this question to folks at https://tokyocycle.com as well

Spaetzle

by Spaetzle

Maybe https://buyee.jp/?lang=de
Edit: that seems to be only for buying.

Mercari, Yahoo, Rakuten seem to be the platforms to auction your stuff

micky

by micky

Yahoo auction and other websites mentioned above are the most popular ones.

Ebay is your best bet, because trust me the ones who really are looking for stuff will use eBay websites as well.
Just remember to use eBay.com or eBay uk.

arcadia

by arcadia

You can sell on Ebay, and try to target japanese market.
In old times it was possible to access Yahoo auctions, but now it's forbidden unless you live on japanese soil.
I would suggest you to find some deputy service, who would be interested in selling on Yahoo, and if you can fin agreement, you take pictures, descriptions and he can put on sale locally, but the problem may be the fact the stuff would be abroad, and trust would be hard to build, Japan has a very good trust between its people, and the best postal service in the world, sadly I can't say the same for many countries, includng my own...
For shipping depending on your place, you will probably have issues with carrier, I used to buy from Japan for a long time (japanese art paintings and swords) but after covid time, only EMS is available and the locale company is one of the worst in my country, maybe you will face same issues as a seller.
My rule for shipping, as a buyer, is "the cheapest the safest the best" most of times, cheapest shipment is managed by national companies, and handled by national company in my country, which is the best (no tax no stolen-lost broken item, no crazy time to wait)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com