2023 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

MisterNoChain wrote:
Curious George wrote:I've seen a tweet suggesting she was riding and holding onto the vehicle, and hence the charge is not murder.
How can she be both riding and holding onto the vehicle?
Holding onto a open window whilst pedaling usually. Just so sad whatevers happened Image

Basso Diamante rim Campagnolo EPS 12 Bora WTO 60's

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

covfefe

by covfefe

maquisard wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:39 pm
Whatever the case the charges are such that it suggests a tragic incident rather than any sort of malicious action by Dennis.
As far as I can tell from the media, RD was released from custody. If that is true, they probably didn't charge him with first-degree murder. They wouldn't have released him, if that was the case. Sounds like a tragic accident. Very sad.

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:45 pm
MisterNoChain wrote:
Curious George wrote:I've seen a tweet suggesting she was riding and holding onto the vehicle, and hence the charge is not murder.
How can she be both riding and holding onto the vehicle?
Holding onto a open window whilst pedaling usually. Just so sad whatevers happened Image
Ok, she riding on her bike. That wasnt very clear from George his post.

magnusss

by magnusss

guyc wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:49 pm
If you throw piss at anyone don't be surprised if you get a smack in the mouth.
Where can I find more information about this piss throwing? I watched the race and didn’t see anything … :noidea:

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

magnusss wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:02 pm
Where can I find more information about this piss throwing? I watched the race and didn’t see anything … :noidea:
There are some things that you simply take the rider's word for it.
Smelling what has soaked into your kit can be really nasty.
It's the realization of what it is that grosses you out.
No rider would make up such a thing.

Those sorts of "fans" should go back to the football stands where they belong.

maquisard

by maquisard

MvdP said fans booed him, he did not explicitly mention urine being thrown at him. Some fans mentioned on twitter they were standing next to people who were throwing urine. When asked for evidence of this they were unable to provide any. I also believe MvdP retweeted this.

https://cyclinguptodate.com/cyclocross/ ... rsial-spit

If you have additional proof please share.

The only proof we have of anyone assaulting another with their bodily fluids is MvdP spitting at spectators.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Don't care either way, but if it was urine, his interview would have explicitly led with that. He would have said it over and over. He only mentions the intolerable booing.
This tells me as far as HE is concerned there was no urine.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

wheelbuilder wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:45 am
Don't care either way, but if it was urine, his interview would have explicitly led with that. He would have said it over and over. He only mentions the intolerable booing.
I hear you.. he would have said it from the start, not just re-X what some other spectator said.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

covfefe

by covfefe

spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:08 am
wheelbuilder wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:45 am
I hear you.. he would have said it from the start, not just re-X what some other spectator said.
Exactly this. There is no proof of urine, only rumors so far. And MVDP certainly didn't think so during the race or during the interview. And that puts the spitting incident in a disadvantageous situation for MVDP.

Honestly we don't know, why he re-X the urine tweet. Whas it because he actually knew it was urine? Or was it just because someone else thought it was urine, and he just wanted to bring it to everyones attention?

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Article in The Sun
It is alleged Melissa Dennis, who is also a retired professional cyclist and Olympian, jumped onto the car bonnet and grabbed at a door handle before she died, according to local reports.
It is alleged she may have been dragged along the road for some distance, reports Adelaide Now
The links in the article are to an Adelaide Now article as source for this information. i don't have access to that site, nor any idea of the veracity of the claims there, or in the article below, which perhaps is based on the same source.

Daily mail article: World champion cyclist Rohan Dennis' Olympian wife Melissa Hoskins died after allegedly jumping onto the bonnet of his ute and being dragged along by the vehicle, police will claim.
Police will allege Ms Hoskins jumped onto the car bonnet and grabbed at a door handle before the vehicle was driven and she fell to the ground.
It is also alleged she may have been dragged along by the $70,000 dark grey 2022 Volkswagen Amarok Highline V6, with the incident captured on neighbour's security cameras.
For Americans: bonnet = hood, ute = pickup truck.
Last edited by HammerTime2 on Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Jesus Christ.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

yikes, gotta feel for the kids only at this point
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

kbbpll

by kbbpll

Horrible news. There doesn't seem to be much to go on and nowhere does anyone say that a bicycle was involved. In fact, "When asked whether the victim had been on a bike at the time she was hit, Acting Assistant Commissioner Papworth responded: "Not that I'm aware of." " https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-01/ ... /103276828
I just assumed he was pacing her in the vehicle but so far that doesn't seem to be the case. We'll have to wait for the investigation and not speculate.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

kbbpll wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:04 pm
Horrible news. There doesn't seem to be much to go on and nowhere does anyone say that a bicycle was involved. In fact, "When asked whether the victim had been on a bike at the time she was hit, Acting Assistant Commissioner Papworth responded: "Not that I'm aware of." " https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-01/ ... /103276828
I just assumed he was pacing her in the vehicle but so far that doesn't seem to be the case. We'll have to wait for the investigation and not speculate.

Read the other articles.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Is this a good topic to continue? It is so sad and tangental to cycling as distinguished from cycling personalities. If it is (moderators decide), and anyone is interested, new reported details are inside the linked article, in the third paragraph. If accurate, there are some (by no means all) faint resemblances to Tiger Woods' situation.

https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling/new ... former-pro
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com