Does no one else find this misrepresentation offensive?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

The CT article about the severe crash in Nevada:

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/12/five-cy ... in-nevada/

I find it offensive that the lead photo is of a narrow twisty road with no shoulder, inferring that the killed cyclists were on such a narrow road, and thereby further implying that they had some comparative fault. That is what this photo presents.

This is more about the media than this particular slaughter, as the point is the overt misrepresentation that media can present,
whether knowingly or not.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

even "our" own media is FOS.. I stopped visiting CT awhile ago and for good reason.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AnkitS

by AnkitS

TBH this just looks like lazy journalism. The other articles I read about this were a lot more impactful.

Rishie

by Rishie

That's terrible for the cyclists. RIP.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

You're looking at this more than it is. It's a road. It's a site that only cyclist go to. They are too broke to go to the site to get real pictures.

It's ok because lately, most people are making mountains out of mole hills.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

So what you do is contact the person who wrote the article. That's what I do.
In this case:

https://twitter.com/danecash
https://www.linkedin.com/in/dane-cash-98b0b3a/

Complain to him directly.
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

scapie

by scapie

UpFromOne wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:27 pm
The CT article about the severe crash in Nevada:

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/12/five-cy ... in-nevada/

I find it offensive that the lead photo is of a narrow twisty road with no shoulder, inferring that the killed cyclists were on such a narrow road, and thereby further implying that they had some comparative fault. That is what this photo presents.

This is more about the media than this particular slaughter, as the point is the overt misrepresentation that media can present,
whether knowingly or not.
This is just your opinion. If you want to have a whinge and do nothing do what everyone else does and post a comment on facebook or twitter. If you have some value to add put a comment on the article with some better info or a picture or anything.

everyone so offended these days just need to relax a little
spdntrxi wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:34 pm
even "our" own media is FOS.. I stopped visiting CT awhile ago and for good reason.
what was the reason?

synchronicity

by synchronicity

I agree that people are too easily offended.
This is what offends me today. And how little mainstream news covered it. Of course, people are more offended these days at others merely sharing articles like this, to the point that you'll get banned from all social media if you do it often enough. :roll:
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

jlok

by jlok

I'm not judging OP's post, but it is almost like a news report, so yea I think a link to the news like below would provide a better picture of what's happening.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/loc ... k-2212306/
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Karvalo

by Karvalo

UpFromOne wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:27 pm
It is absolutely not implying that. You may think it would be a cyclist's own fault if they were killed on a road like that, I don't and I'm sure the author of the article doesn't either.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

It's just that this one was more tragic than the usual slaughter.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

scapie wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:35 am

This is just your opinion. If you want to have a whinge and do nothing do what everyone else does and post a comment on facebook or twitter. If you have some value to add put a comment on the article with some better info or a picture or anything.

everyone so offended these days just need to relax a little
Sorry, but multiple people were killed. I'm not relaxed about that. Nor about the usual sloppy reporting on such preventable deaths.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I'm certain we are all shocked by the deaths. Tragic indeed.

Sloppy reporting seems to be your opinion but a small minority. Fortunately you live in a country that you can share that opinion. Sorry if we cannot jump on your bandwagon and support a different opinion. Thinking that the majority of the people think the reporting is sound, does not mean we think the deaths are warranted.

The deaths are a tragidy as with all deaths, but it's part of life. We should enjoy what we got while were here. We should procecute those in the wrong, but we all must live on the same roads. I accept the fact that when I wake up, it may be the last time I do that.

xkcd

by xkcd

I don't understand how many people are okay with that, even accepting that cycling might be a high risk for your own life (!).
and as a newspaper which focusses on cyclist it's even less empathetic. From what I read in those articles, five cyclists have been killed by a driver who used its vehicle as a weapon, so imho its five murders and multiple attempted murders.
If those incidents are continously treated as accidents or simply called "crash" no wonder cyclists dont feel safe on the road.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I do not understand how people think that everyone is responsible and do not make mistakes. If you feel unsafe on the road, you are either on the wrong road or you worry too much. Rarely is there only one choice. If this was a pedestrians site we would all be complaining about cyclists and ask why they do not give them space.

How many people got into an accident? Probably most of us. How many people made a mistake? Probably all of us. When I go on the road, I hope its not my turn and I will do everything to to avoid it [lights, staying out of a 2 ton moving object, etc]. I cannot change anyone, I can only hope that the people around me are responsible and are aware of where I am.

When I flew hang gliders [for 20 years], I understood and accepted the risks of flying with others. When I ride my bike, I do the same. The day I do not want to accept the risks, is the day I will stay home. Which is why I hung up my wings a few years ago.

I'm not condoning bad drivers, but when you boil it down, there is really nothing that will guarantee that you will make it thru the day.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com