So I bought a garmin varia...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

synchronicity

by synchronicity

And... I like it.

I mainly got it because I've had two accidents with cars (or rather they had accidents with me) and it turns out that I'm a bit anxious about riding onroad since then.
So I thought this may help overcome my inital fear of riding in Australia again.

I only tested it out up and down my local street. But it seems to just work.
What I found helpful was eliminating my own doubts about cars (that weren't) approaching.
What I mean to say is that before I kept hearing cars behind me but now the varia tells me that they aren't even approaching me, thus they are/were all from the local highway nearby (perpendicular).

I think it's good info to have.

I expect it will come in handy for making right runs (left turns in the US/Europe).
It gave me some peace of mind. Looking forward to going on a proper ride.
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

MaxPower

by MaxPower

never... ever... use it to make turns without looking over your shoulder.

it works pretty good, never had a case were something came rom behind without it registrering, but it will not always catch scooters, or other cyclists. Cars, lorry´s, motorbikes are okay.

love mine. its just some peace of mind

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

I also bought one today as the LBS was running a Black Friday sale on them. Absolutely everyone who who uses these seems to be a believer, but personally I still have my doubts. Will probably give it as a gift to my father who will probably find it more useful as when we ride together he seem to be much less aware of what traffic is behind him.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

It’s amazing for riding in rural areas. I can safely just ride in the middle of the lane away from all the hazards on the side of the road. It has nearly a 150m range, and I’ve never had it fail to pick up an approaching car. If it beeps, I move over.