2017 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Wookski

by Wookski

Rondje wrote:
euan wrote:
Rondje wrote:Manchester United with over 500 million in debt while both still spending loads of money ain't really financial fairplay either.

I think using Manchester United's debt against it is a bit naive given how that debt came about. The Glazers borrowed the money to buy the club then passed the debt onto the club. The club itself still has the highest turnover in football and made a small loss last year. Though if the Glazer's didn't take that huge dividend...

Last football post of me. It's not naive, I doubt they where in financial wealth before they got bought. And borrowing money is part of the game. Arsenal did the same for Emirates stadium but isn't in big amount of debts snd they don't spend 100 million on 1 player while being in debt. I know the turnover for Manchester is huge so the debt is relatively small but I'd say pay a big part of the debt first to get it on a normal level and spend loads after. The current football transfer game is 1 big bubble waiting to pop.

MU made a FY16 NPAT of £36m on £515m of Revenue. Yes Debt is circa £500m however this has been used to purchase income generating assets- highlighted by cash flows from operating activities of £186m. MU's 2016 annual report states the team is supported by 659m followers and the favourite football team of 277m of those followers. Contrast this to cycling where no teams make money and the supporter base is significantly smaller! UCI is a joke

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

maquisard wrote:Ha this is great!

Vaughters :doh:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

the TdF prize money list makes me weep. I sure as hell don't want pro cyclists to become spoiled rich-ass primadonnas (like football players) but this is both sad and laughable. take the 5th team for instance - QS. with 115k euro, have they earned at least for their lowest contract?

Sunweb, with two jerseys and a handful of stages got just 177k...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-sky-top-tour-de-france-prize-money-table/

Rondje

by Rondje

All these competitions of daily wins, combative, polka dot, young rider and sprint jersey, while actually it's all about yellow. Sky winning only 1 stage and winning yellow wins so much more money then all the others.
The same with UCI points, some points for polka dot and sprint jersey would add a lot more value then just the exposure they get from it now.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

I can agree with yellow getting like 3rd of the whole sum, but the numbers alone are so low. given it's the biggest cycling event, most important, most prestigous, broadcasted all around the world, etc, etc.

how much of a bonus a masseur from Cofidis will get? 100 euro?

ooo

by ooo

Thats what Tinko was talking about...
'

mattr

by mattr

maquisard wrote:Maybe they want more variable combinations? Red is machined as a single piece of material so custom combinations of cogs are not possible.
Teams also do it with shimano and campag cassettes, adds a little "free" weight and can improve durability (slightly).

ooo

by ooo

So, UCI reversing #Watergate penalties to avoid +20 sec for Bardet directly affected podium
'

Skylark

by Skylark

I could still win the TdF.

ave

by ave

tymon_tm wrote:the TdF prize money list makes me weep. I sure as hell don't want pro cyclists to become spoiled rich-ass primadonnas (like football players) but this is both sad and laughable. take the 5th team for instance - QS. with 115k euro, have they earned at least for their lowest contract?

Sunweb, with two jerseys and a handful of stages got just 177k...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-sky-top-tour-de-france-prize-money-table/

Well, the everything barring the yellow jersey is just there to make it more interesting to watch everyday. So I do not think it's bad. The riders' involved will get a new, better contract for next year, that's the real prize money.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

TonyM wrote:(I personally don't think so as the team Sky UK doesn't really like M. Landa it seems)

What specifically makes you think Landa is not liked?
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

Skylark

by Skylark

Dan Martin rode the tour like a mad man. It was entertaining.

jooo

by jooo

Yeah a great ride, he had some bad luck and looked to be in serious difficulty at times but kept smashing it!

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

a lot of what if's in this tdf. if it didn't rain first stage, we would have a more interesting race, as times would have been a lot closer. if folks worked together when the race was on and froome had an issue with his bike; if Ritchie porte didn't crash; if landa went on his own and went for the overall.

ichobi

by ichobi

Interesting but not much meaning to it. You can what if every single race on the calendar. It is what it is. Survival is part of stage races.

My biggest what if is 2014 tdf - if only contador and froome didnt crash out. Ni bali was great though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com