New York Times on the "perils" of carbon fiber frames

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

kac

by kac

Not sure of the data behind this article, perhaps it's a bit alarmist, but in any event, here it is for comments:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/27/sport ... arder.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Tabloid stuff.

kbbpll

by kbbpll

The bikes, they completely explode
He must be thinking of magnesium.

dj97223

by dj97223

"they completely explode . . . whole family die."
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

Franklin

by Franklin

Lovely subscript at the picture:

Crashes in the Tour de France often send riders hurling to the road because carbon-fiber frames and wheels tend to break

1. Cause and effect?
2. Tend to break?

Amusing they ask Millar who never raced on a modern CF frame what he thinks about CF frames :mrgreen:
Even more amusing is that there's a new omerta bout CF. Because if retired cyclists talk about it they are somehow affected (I assume the Specialized ninja's will get them in their sleep?) :mrgreen:

Oddly enough is that in my racing days I have seen more steel frames die than Aluminium or CF. I also have seen Alu handlebars and cranks snap with truely nasty results. I never saw a similar thing with CF, granted I don't think I have seen many people race with CF handlebars at my level, but CF cranks are staple.

I'm also "not convinced" that an Alu component break is less catastrophal than a CF break. If ALU goes, it goes, no bending, it just rips. Remember Hincapie and his alu steerer?

Oh and the suggestion that the Alu/CF frames from the Alan/Vitus/TVT make were stonger because of their bonds is another nugget. Those things were not only very unstable to ride, they tended to come loose at those magnificent joints.

All in all one of the better articles I read lately, it sure hits the jackpot at the comedy level.

G60

by G60

It's funny until you realize this is how clueless they are about whatever subject they're penning an article about.

“Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray's case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the "wet streets cause rain" stories. Paper's full of them.
In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.”
- Michael Crichton

kac

by kac

G60 wrote:It's funny until you realize this is how clueless they are about whatever subject they're penning an article about.

“Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray's case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the "wet streets cause rain" stories. Paper's full of them.
In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.”
- Michael Crichton

That's a really fine quote by Crichton. Where did you source it?

As for the NYT article, I agree: it's probably total nonsense based on anecdotes by an overwrought journalist with limited or no knowledge of the topic.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Hold on, carbon fibre frames explode? Given how anti-terror the USA are and how many carbon fibre frames exist in the country, surely this is an immediate code orange?

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

I have 7 carbon frames in my home at this very moment.....*drops iPad, grabs wife and dogs, runs out front door, jumps in bushes and covers ears.......awaiting massive, inevitable explosion*

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Exclusive footage of such an event...
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

NealH

by NealH

Doesn't really say a lot. "Alarmist" is a good descriptor. Trying to make something out of mostly nothing.

bombertodd

by bombertodd

They should have watched this video before writing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xreZdUBqpJs

supermidget

by supermidget

It's sad to see NYT go and publish something like this without getting the facts straight but I guess we can't expect editors to know anything about the current state of road bikes. Still, you'd think there'd be someone employed at NYT who would be able to shed some light on the subject before publication.

kbbpll

by kbbpll

^^ Dudes might want to consider safety glasses. :)

eric

by eric

The Crichton quote is so true. I see this all the time on articles in my professional field (computer security and cryptography). I've had some experience as an interview subject for journalists. Their knowledge has ranged widely from nearly zero to fairly extensive. I also played journalist for a while in a small way, for an on line motorcycle magazine. So I have some sympathy for deadline pressure and being asked to write about stuff you're not an expert on. However I'd expect better than this from the NYT.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com