Has anybody tried already a Castelli Gabba jersey??

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

uraqt

by uraqt

@Nefarious86

http://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/pro-t ... duct/PWJ01

Sounds like at twice the price the Gabba is still the best option : )

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

I've taken delivery of the Perfetto jersey so I'll report back (if anyone is interested) once we have some foul weather in Melbourne to test it out. Keep in mind if anyone buys it, it's definitely a tighter fit than the Gabba especially through the shoulders. I got a M and it's as tight as I would want it, where as the Gabba has a touch more room. I think it's partly because the Perfetto material seems to have less give in it.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

otoman

by otoman

I used a LS and SS version of a Steen Wear rain jersey all fall and winter. I picked them up at a pop-up shop in Richmond at the World Championships.

http://steenwear.com/product/rg-rain-jersey/

the photo of the model does not do the jersey justice. Fit is very athletic and trim, probably one size larger than Castelli (if you wear large Castelli, get a medium). It is very water proof, I have worn in torrential rain and stayed dry. It breathes very well. I give them 5 stars. I have used the SS version a little more and pair it with Nanoflex arm warmers.

FYI, the owner is a Texan living in Belgium since retiring from racing making kit. 8)
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

jsprbcn

by jsprbcn

uraqt wrote:@Nefarious86

http://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/pro-t ... duct/PWJ01

Sounds like at twice the price the Gabba is still the best option : )

Nice example of overpricing.... my god.

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Nefarious86 wrote: Think its time to pull the trigger on one of these, I'm 187cm and weigh between 80 and 90kg. Thinking XL and a couple of pairs of L arm warmers.

@Nefarious86 8)

You're probably a good person to ask given Newcastle is a similar climate, but others feel free to chime in... Does anyone have experience using the S/S Gabba (or Satani Reef & Rain) in warmer climates?.. Living in Brisbane, QLD it doesn't get particularly cold, however its begging to seem like it's going to be a pretty damp winter and spring.

I am after something to keep me at least partially dry in temp ranges from say 6c to 20c deg - I tend not to run hot while riding, but usually have a mesh base layer under my jerseys.

AlphaDogCycling

by AlphaDogCycling

If you consider San Francisco a warmer climate, the yes. I have 2 Gabba jerseys, and just got a Perfetto. The Gabbas get used when it's going to stay below 60F, or when it's raining. So they got a workout this winter. I swear by my Gabbas when it's cold and wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

CulBaire wrote:I am after something to keep me at least partially dry in temp ranges from say 6c to 20c deg - I tend not to run hot while riding, but usually have a mesh base layer under my jerseys.

Obviously these things can be personal, but if I'm training I find the Gabba to be way too warm when it's pushing 20C. And because it's wind-proof, if you partially unzip it you blow up like a balloon. 6-15C it's fine.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

nickl

by nickl

Is there a Gabba style jersey with decent amount of one of the modern reflective treatments which don't look like crap? I ride a lot at night, and it is often cold (5-10 C) and sometimes wet.

The review and pic of the Stolen Goat Orkaan looks promising, but I've never seen one in real life: http://road.cc/content/review/144507-st ... ech-jersey

Wiggle has a new option (http://www.wiggle.com.au/dhb-aeron-rain ... ve-jersey/), but it is the same price as the Sportful Fiandre Light No-Rain and only A$20 less than the Gabba2.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Have only used mine twice and I can say it gets rather warm when you start to chop off. It fits wonderfully and is great with the colder evenings I've worn it
Using Tapatalk

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

nickl wrote:The review and pic of the Stolen Goat Orkaan looks promising, but I've never seen one in real life: http://road.cc/content/review/144507-st ... ech-jersey.

Yeah. The thing I don't like is that the collar is very low cut - like a lightweight aero jersey. For foul weather, I prefer being able to keep my neck warm.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Im debating selling my Pro team jacket to fund a SS Gabba or just lopping the arms of the Pro team just past jersy length. Thing is the Gabba is a more snug fit which is nice.
Using Tapatalk

CulBaire

by CulBaire

MattSoutherden wrote:
CulBaire wrote:I am after something to keep me at least partially dry in temp ranges from say 6c to 20c deg - I tend not to run hot while riding, but usually have a mesh base layer under my jerseys.

Obviously these things can be personal, but if I'm training I find the Gabba to be way too warm when it's pushing 20C. And because it's wind-proof, if you partially unzip it you blow up like a balloon. 6-15C it's fine.

That's the thing I was worried about; a 3hr ride here can see the temp go from 5-6deg to over 20deg pretty well every day of winter, and even if it's damp its not far off that. It seems like it's probably worth a try, say the SS version with arm warmers... All else fails I can sell it to my southern state compatriots. :noidea:

tk2306

by tk2306

Adding my $0.02 worth, I'm in melbourne and recently got a Gabba 2 SS jersey. I definitely run colder than a lot of other people but I have been wearing it up to 15 degrees fairly comfortably. It really is a great bit of kit, haven't tested it in proper rain yet but the great think about it is it is so versatile. I have worn it when it was 7C with a very chilly wind with a rapha proteam undershirt, standard summer jersey and nanoflex arm warmers with a thin neck warmer on an easy ride and I was sufficiently warm. I've also worn it without the neckwarmer and summer jersey underneath at 15 degrees with no overheating. The one thing I have found though is it can initially be a little bit cold at lower temperatures but once you start warming up after 10 mins or so of riding it keeps you warm. Have found myself wearing it regardless of if it looks like it will rain just because it is a great bit of kit.

Happy to answer any questions

RE sizing, I am 187cm and ~65kg-68kg with a thin cyclist build and a Small fits me perfectly. It is a race cut but thats what I was looking for. I was tossing up between a S/M but glad I went with the Small.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Damnit now I really want to add a SS to my LS... need to get rid of my ProTeam.
Using Tapatalk

tk2306

by tk2306

Funnily enough I also have a proteam jacket... its been getting left in the kit drawer since the gabba arrived

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com