Sunglass options for small faces and cloudy days.

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
Mocs123

by Mocs123

Currently I have two pairs of cycling glasses, the Tifosi Sledge with a blue lens I use for cloudy days, or evenings where I'll be out near dusk, and the Koo Demo's that have a mirror lense I use on bright sunny days. The Tifosi's are a little too big for my head and tend to slide down my nose/face. The Demo's don't seem to do that, but their lens is way too dark for cloudy days, so I'm looking for a similar style pair of glasses, that work well with slightly smaller faces with lenses good for cloudy or partly cloudy days and dusk. White frames are prefered but not required.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Get different lenses for the Koo?
Never cheer before you know who is winning

Mocs123

by Mocs123

wheelbuilder wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:10 am
I've thought about getting another pair of Koo Demo's. I'm not sure I'd want to swap lenses back and forth, but I could just get another pair. I've also thought about trying a pair of Oakley Sutro S models made for smaller faces. I'm not sure what lens though, I wonder if the Road Prizm lens would be too dark?

de lars cuevas

by de lars cuevas

Hiya,

If you like Oakley, you might like Radar EV XS https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product/W0OJ9001
It says youth fit, but they fit my 55 cm male head just fine. Personally I do not like Sutro... but that's just my taste.
For cloudy weather prizm Road with it's 20% light transmission is too dark indeed. When riding in cloudy conditions or in the forest I really like the old skool Trail (not trail Torch) with 35% VLT. It really makes the greens pop and give the impression of better weather than it actually is. :-) Or I grab my Prizm Golfs with 30% VLT.

Cheers, Lars

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

Mocs123 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:50 am
wheelbuilder wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:10 am
I've thought about getting another pair of Koo Demo's. I'm not sure I'd want to swap lenses back and forth, but I could just get another pair. I've also thought about trying a pair of Oakley Sutro S models made for smaller faces. I'm not sure what lens though, I wonder if the Road Prizm lens would be too dark?
I would recommend against the Oakley Sutro S for smaller heads, I sold mine after just 6-8 weeks. The Sutro's do not have any rubber gripper on the inside so just seemed to keep sliding off my head.

The Sutro Lite does have the inside gripper if you want to try the full style but I'm still much happier with the Radar EV's like mentioned above

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Interesting, I didn't know the Sutro S didn't have the gripper, that could be a deal breaker for sure.

I'm sure the Radar's would work well, I'm just not a fan of the look of the Radars.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Has anyone used the 100% Speedcraft XS? That frame looks like it might be OK, smaller and with grippy ear and nose pieces. They have pretty affordable photocramatic and low light lenses.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

garbageman

by garbageman

I've been wearing Sutro S since 2020 and never had any issues with them sliding off my face despite lacking grippy arms, but they have fallen out of my helmet while stowed in the vents a couple times. The nose bridge is secure enough on my face. For me the Prizm Road lens is good for cloudy days (I'd say it actually excels in partly cloudy/partly sunny conditions), but it's definitely too dark to be ideal for riding near dusk (or dawn), especially in shaded areas. I'm in Northern California, so YMMV based on your lattitude and sensitivity of your eyes.

I recently got the Sutro Lite with photochromic lens for rides where I'll be out in/near dark or rain and I've been pleased with them. They're decent in full sun, but I'd opt for Prizm Road or Road Jade for those conditions if I won't need the versatility. The drawback of the Sutro Lite compared to the S is they sit further away from my face on the sides so they let more wind and light hit my eyes. They don't wrap around my face as much, so even though the lens is wider, they effectively cover less of my field of vision. The photochromic lens also doesn't look as cool as a mirrored lens imo. I considered some other 30%+ VLT lenses like Prizm Trail Torch, golf, low light, etc but went with the photochromic for the versatility of having a clear lens for riding in the dark while still being adequate in bright sunlight and not having to worry about the durability of a mirror coating in the rain. A plus for the Sutro Lite is it's really easy and quick to swap lenses and they're compatible with the Sutro Lite Sweep lens as well if you like that look.