The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Slagter

by Slagter

pashax wrote:Rims : DT Swiss R460
Spokes : DT Revolution or Sapim Laser
Spoke count : 24/28 or 28/32
Hubs : DT Swiss 350
Nipples : Sapim Polyax (alloy)
28/32 build should be bombproof, innit?

No need for 28/32.

I'm 191 lbs at the moment, and my Bitex hubs laced to Kinlin XR19W are doing just fine in a 24/28 config after 8.000 km.

The DT 460 are both heavier and wider than my Kinlins. 24/28 is more than enough for you with that config.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Thinking of gathering parts for a daily bad roads/gravel/occasional non-serious CX race disc clincher / possibly tubeless wheelset for my new CX bike.

Out of 3 rim options in order of personal preference (Hed Belgium+, Pacenti SL25, Stans ZTR Grail) it looks like I eventually might be getting Stans because the former 2 are not easily available for me (or cost 2x as much as Stans if shipped from abroad)

I'm a 75kg guy already for 10 years, and probably will remain there.

From hubs, nothing original at all, as good budged as possible, thinking of DtSwiss 350

Would 24F/28R be good for such a build? Most appropriate lacing pattern?
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

pushstart

by pushstart

mrlobber wrote:Would 24F/28R be good for such a build? Most appropriate lacing pattern?

I would suggest 28/28, if disc, as your braking forces concentrate up front (common to run a larger rotor up front too).

2x/2x or 3x/3x. I like the aesthetics of 2x the angle of spokes wrt radial torque is slightly better with 3x; in practice, it doesn't matter (at least it hasn't for me).

I have a set of 28/28 Grail wheels I use for CX (singletrack). Grails are really nice rims. They built up so nicely, easy to mount tires (easy to seat tubeless), have been bomb-proof. (I also weigh around 75kg.)

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Ok, thanks. Good point on the rotor difference too, easily to forget if running carbon road machines all the time.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Agree with same spoke count front and reaf for disc brake wheels. For road though i always spec 160mm front and rear rotors as the brake brake is quite useful when decending and it helps it not overheat.

pushstart

by pushstart

Yeah, I would use 160/160 if my frame would fit the 160. In practice the 140 in back with a good rotor (I found Avid HSX rotors to be a lot better with my Spyres than the TRP rotors) has worked fine for me, though.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

I have some Pacenti SL25s 32h 3x on Novatech 771/772. If the worst you'e going to ride is some graded roads, then 28h 2x is probably fine at your weight. The advantage of more spokes is that a loose or broken spoke has a less dramatic effect on the overall wheel operation. If you take the bike off-roading out in the sticks a long way from help, then this might be of concern to you. If you taco a wheel in a cross race, it's not really a problem.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

pushstart

by pushstart

Yeah, it really depends on riding style and terrain. I have no qualms riding my 28-spoke wheels on pretty rooty/rocky east-coast (US) single track. But I ride with 38c or 42c tires now to avoid pinch flats on said terrain. I am sure you could taco these wheels, though I also feel a lot more confident on them than my 28-spoke Stans Crest wheels they replaced (for reasons of hub change/thru-axle, not that anything bad happened to the Crests).

Derf

by Derf

What are people liking for budget-level track hubs? (~$50) Miche, Formula, BHS (Bitex?), Novatech, etc?

32sp--training wheels that will be actually used on the track. Double threaded would be nice (can keep both a warm-up and a hard-effort cog on the hub).

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Miche make the best hubs of that lot. 62mm flange seperation compared to 54mm for the novatec.

M

Derf

by Derf

Thanks bmOp700f!

kavitator

by kavitator

Question for more experienced - how do you tesnsion sppokes on that kind of lacing?

Is same tesnion for all spokes on one side or same tension for each second spoke?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Is not that 2x lacing. Same tension on the spokes.

kavitator

by kavitator

It is 2x on both sides

but spokes are not over/undr, they go direct from flange to rim.
In picture you can see big variation in "geometry " on same side.

So i was thinking spokes closer to center must have higher tension from spokes on outer holes of flange.

Marin

by Marin

I would tension them so that the rim is centered and leave it at that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com