The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
ooo

by ooo

Hub sound Carbon-Ti X-Hub MTB SL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R00vKP4-Ukc
'

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

I'm going to try to build my first set of wheels and I have a newbie question. I currently have a set of wheels; Chris King R45's with cxrays laced to Ambrosio F20 rims. I am thinking of converting to clincher and simply swapping out the rims for H Plus Sons TB14 rims. My question is do you think I can use the same spokes? The rim depths are 13 mm for the F20 and 14.1mm for the TB14

Thanks
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kervelo

by kervelo

The issue was already discussed in Powertap GS thread, but sharing it here too:

A clincher wheel is built and tensioned according to rim specs. When the tyre is installed and inflated, the wheel tension drops. Should the wheel be re-tensioned to the spec with the tyre on? I understand the drop in tension can also be compensated before the tyre installation, by using higher tension than the spec for the rim.

I have not seen this mentioned in the guides I have read, that is why I am asking.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Depends what the tension drop is. Check dish as well big tension drops probably mean the wheel is out of dish.

I rarely add tension after fitting tyres. I commonly tension rims to 1275n (some rims i stop at 1200N) average as after tubeless tyre installation even with symmetric rims there is more than enough tension to hold the wheel together. The tension limit is for spoke tension without tyres. Spoke tension drop varies from tyre to tyre and pedalling and braking (dis brakes). Re tensioning wheel therefore can be a bad idea.

kervelo

by kervelo

Thank you for the reply. I have not noticed any issues with my wheels after installing tyres, so I will not do any re-tensioning for them. I was just interested to hear the comments from the more experienced builders.

syplam

by syplam

hi i have a 2016 shamal ultra and would like to know if its possible to take out the rim and lace the hub into a FLO 30 rim? my understanding is that the shamal ultra uses campy record hub, is that compatible with non campy rims? Not sure if the g-3 geometry limits my choices if i want to change the rim/hub

Mackers

by Mackers

Are 21 hole Flo rims even available?
Are they compatible with the grouped 2:1 lacing of the Shamal hub?
Are the Shamal hubs only compatible with proprietary spokes or will they accommodate standard straight pull spokes?

syplam

by syplam

Mackers wrote:Are 21 hole Flo rims even available?
Are they compatible with the grouped 2:1 lacing of the Shamal hub?
Are the Shamal hubs only compatible with proprietary spokes or will they accommodate standard straight pull spokes?

good point, i have not thought about that haha

BoSoxYacht

by BoSoxYacht

A question for bm0p700f, but please feel free to comment if you have a strong opinion.

What spoke/nipple prep do you prefer?

I've been using Rock n Roll spoke lube, but now it's time to restock. What prep do you prefer, and why?

Miller

by Miller

Anyone got a recommendation for a Chinese road/disc/tubeless rim? Maybe 23, 25mm width, up to 50mm depth. Suggestions welcome.

Marin

by Marin

I'd check Light Bicycle 1st because I like their rims.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I use rock n roll but i am the uk importer so i am biased. I do find it easy to apply. Tried sapim nipple freeze it is expensive. There are not many options in the u.k.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Bike with no name. The tb14 has an erd of 610mm the f20 is 615mm therefore spokes cannot be resued.

I have a set of wheels abit like yours mavic gel280 rims 32 spoke laced with sapim race. When cornering i can feel the flex. These are wheels i rode gently.

BoSoxYacht

by BoSoxYacht

bm0p700f wrote:I use rock n roll but i am the uk importer so i am biased. I do find it easy to apply. Tried sapim nipple freeze it is expensive. There are not many options in the u.k.
I've always liked it too, but "somewhere" I read "something" bashing it as useless. It's worked well for me in the past, so I guess there's no need to change

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Hi guys,
never build a wheel before, but having a question in regards to Chinese carbon clinchers.

i bought some carbon wheels from Aliexpress. Wasn't really looking for wheels, but couldn't resist when i saw a pair of 38mm carbon wheels for 320$ including shipping and custom fees. They're built with Powerway R13 hubs and Mac aero 494 CNspokes.
I also have two other pairs of wheels (Cosmic Carbone and Getaway Criterium Tubulars) and they're both a lot stiffer than the Chinese wheels.

Now the question: is there anything i can do, to make the wheels stiffer? Would different spokes make a difference?
i know its weightweenies, but i wouldn't care if thicker spokes would add a few grams when the wheel becomes stronger in the end