Wheels for C60 - Hyperon or Corima?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Luften

by Luften

I'm looking for a second set of wheels and trying to decide between:

Campagnolo Hyperon Ultra Two Tubular
Corima 32mm S+ Tubular

Has anyone ridden both, and how would you compare them? I can get a good enough price on each, not too far apart so it's not a factor in the decision.

Thanks!

NB. Here's what they'll be paired up with - just built a few months ago!

Last edited by Luften on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

micky

by micky

Right now Im using a pair of Hyperon but as clincher (not tubular) and they are faboulus.
I had the chance to find a mint condition pair and I wanted to give a try; couldn't be happier.

As for Corima I would guess the product would be as good as others, but maybe I'd go for Hyperon for the lower profile rim.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrgray

by mrgray

hyperon's (tub) in my experience are extraordinary wheels. however corima are more exciting and exotic to me. i would go the corima. with thick tubes the 32 mm will look a little nicer too.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

As lovely as the Hyperons are, you could build a set of very similar wheels with something like CronoF20 rims on Record hubs for about 1/6th of the price.

nismosr

by nismosr

I have a first gen Hyperon Tubular and after almost 10 years of using them, they still out spin my 2014 Bora one, the bearings on these old wheelset are bulletproof and outstanding, for a low profile rim .. they hum like a high profile ones. I've only broken 1 rear spoke.
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

fogman

by fogman

The Bora One or Ultra 35 tubular would be more comparable to the Corima 32 S+ in rim profile than the Hyperon Ultra Two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

C36

by C36

Zakalwe wrote:As lovely as the Hyperons are, you could build a set of very similar wheels with something like CronoF20 rims on Record hubs for about 1/6th of the price.

You wouldn't be near from a stiffness point of view. Need to dig into my archives I had stiffness comparison. As far as I remember the Hyperion rim is also lighter (tbc)

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Sure, a little lighter and a little stiffer, but to get that little bit extra you're going from about £350 for the rebuildable wheelset to £1800 for the Hyperon. I'd rather spend that sort of dosh on Boras.

kgt

by kgt

I would prefer Campagnolo on a Colnago.

Luften

by Luften

I'm not looking at the Bora's or building any other wheels. Not putting any of the others down, but I'm really trying to understand the differences between these two. Also my current wheels - Belgium C2's laced to Record Hubs, 32 spokes - are close to a clincher equivalent of the Crono's. Ish. :)

Yes the Corima's are a bit deeper but they're still not an aero wheel and it's their shallowest, lightest wheel available. It's about 100g lighter than the Hyperon, but also has fewer spokes and different hubs so I'm not sure how the rim weights compare. Do we know the rim weight of the hyperon tub? I couldn't find it anywhere.

And thanks for the responses so far! Seems the Hyperons are in the lead at the moment.

Luften

by Luften

NB. I think (hope) I fixed the image at the top. It didn't like Flickr - switched to imgur.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Out of those two options, Hyperons for me. Sweet bike btw, looking forward to getting mine out the box and building it in a couple of weeks

clm2206

by clm2206

Buy Campagnolo wheels, they will be with you for many many many years. You will have to have an excuse to get rid of them.

Enviado desde mi SM-E700M mediante Tapatalk

C36

by C36

Zakalwe wrote:Sure, a little lighter and a little stiffer, but to get that little bit extra you're going from about £350 for the rebuildable wheelset to £1800 for the Hyperon. I'd rather spend that sort of dosh on Boras.

That I can't deny! The cost different will be there. Let me look at numbers but the Hyperion is a really stiff wheel. Hyperion will also be more aero (less spokes).

chiumomo

by chiumomo

C36 wrote:
Zakalwe wrote:As lovely as the Hyperons are, you could build a set of very similar wheels with something like CronoF20 rims on Record hubs for about 1/6th of the price.

You wouldn't be near from a stiffness point of view. Need to dig into my archives I had stiffness comparison. As far as I remember the Hyperion rim is also lighter (tbc)

The weight of Hyperon rim, not much lighter than Crono F20

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com