Bora vs R-SYS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BugsBunny7788

by BugsBunny7788

I own both sets of wheels. The Bora One 50 tubs (2015 version) with Conti competition tubs and R-SYS clinchers (2015 version) with Conti GP with latex tubes.

Now recently I switched over to the Boras after a long time on the R SYS.

Here's something interesting I found with the R SYS.

They are very very comfortable and compliant on rough surfaces. I know tired and tire pressure play into it. But I really think they are really good in this regard. It's not until you ride them back to back against something else will you notice and see the value in this. I suspect it has to do the softer alloy rims and carbon spokes. It's very noticeable on both front and rear wheels but more obvious on the front.

Anyone else share similar thoughts?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The R SYS has carbon spokes and I assume the spokes would absorb quite a bit of vibration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BugsBunny7788

by BugsBunny7788

Yeah might be that or conversely that deep carbon rims are just much more firmer?

kgt

by kgt

+1
Low profile rims are in most cases more comfortable.

BugsBunny7788

by BugsBunny7788

Could it be also that alloys are "softer" than carbon?

For example, if we had two low profile wheels - one made of aluminium alloy (R-SYS) and one made of carbon (e.g. Campag Hyperon or similar), then all things being equal - would the R SYS ride more comfortable?

We seem to have many WW on deep profile wheels but very few with low profile carbon wheels.

Would be good to hear how well low profile carbon wheels feel in terms of ride comfort.

upside

by upside

The Mavic's may ride nicer.. but the total build is much nicer in the Bora's. The hubs alone are several notches above the Mavic's and quality of the rim goes to Campy

Sosan

by Sosan

Bora, except for wet conditions.

Bora is still comfortable to ride, with some aero benefits and looks nicer.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I've had previous generation Boras and have had R-SYS SLR tubulars for a couple of years. I'm 75 kgs and do tend to have issues w/ wheels flexing on me so take it all with a pinch of salt if you're under 70 or so.

R-SYS were great for the first year, stiff/comfy/quick response/great braking. Since then though I've found that they've become pretty flexy even after a spoke tightening back up courtesy of Mavic in Annecy. They're passable now but I reserve them for wet days or sportives which will only have climbing and descending and usually on crummy roads, they're great for this. The hubs, well enough has been said about Mavic hubs, Campag kills them here.

The R-SYS are very comfy but I think it's a combo of a few things in my case
1- mine are tubular with nice 24mm cotton tubs, tubular rim in this shape and alu will always flex a touch more radially than a clincher of the same as well
2- carbon spokes to a degree
3- sideways deflection is taking up some of the brunt as well which isn't necc a great thing

Boras I never had any issue with in any regard and will probably pick up the new gen One's at the end of this season.

sawyer

by sawyer

ultyguy, I'd have thought that for much of your riding the Bora One 35 tubulars are pretty much the perfect wheelset
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

ultyguy

by ultyguy

sawyer- yeah but at the end of the day the weight difference 35/50 is tiny (read somewhere here they had to beef up 35 rim a bit vs 50?) and the aero advantage and rear stiffness will be higher w the 50's. Most of the differences I can make on the road in events are at higher speeds.

sawyer

by sawyer

ultyguy wrote:sawyer- yeah but at the end of the day the weight difference 35/50 is tiny (read somewhere here they had to beef up 35 rim a bit vs 50?) and the aero advantage and rear stiffness will be higher w the 50's. Most of the differences I can make on the road in events are at higher speeds.

Fair enough.

well I've just picked up a pair of 50s to joine my 35s and my er, older style 50s, so I#;; report back - first ride tomorrow!
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

swissphil

by swissphil

Hi, I was never happy with the mavic r-sys. They are light ok. But in the flat they don't roll pretty well. The front wheel with the carbon spokes which are in my opinion quite thick. Try the mavic ksyrium slr! They are much more faster in the flat and also pretty nice for climbing the mountains. I prefer the ksyrium one...