Clinchers -Zipp 202 Firecrest vs Fulcrum Razing Zero Carbon

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Multebear

by Multebear

sifi1975, what is your intended purpose for the Wheels? Racing, training, climbing? And what is your terrain? Lot of hills, flat? And what is the weather like where you live? And how much do you weigh?

You can't just decide between Wheels if those details aren't laid out.

My gutfeeling-reply would be neither of the three. I don't see any reason choosing Zeros, 202's or Bora 35's. But that's just me. If you're moving to carbon, I'd pick something deeper than 30-35 mm. But Again, one needs more info to give a decent advice.

stormur

by stormur

sifi1975 wrote:
Hey not at all, in fact the idea someone else suggested of campy bora one 35 seems like a better option for similar money as the Zipps. Any comments please ?

Consider these ( teams usage ) :

Corima 32mm "s" ( Astana )
Vision Metron ( Cofidis )
Ursus Miura (CCC)
DT Swiss RC 38C (IAM Cycling)
Fulcrum Racing Quattro Carbon / Racing Speed 35( Lampre Merida)

Life doesn't end on Zipp , even in that forum says so :)
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

If you are on Shimano/SRAM and want carbon clinchers then I would personally look away from Campagnolo/Fulcrum. Campagnolo is a brand clash and Fulcrum don't have a carbon clincher anywhere in the same league as the Boras

I'd look at Zipp and Vision, Roval etc

Strange that Shimano haven't brought out a full carbon clincher, or at least a black brake track DA24/35 variant given the market ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

lowside67

by lowside67

I am really torn... on the one hand, I am thinking I should get something lightweight, reliable, with great hubs for everyday/climbing/training and I honestly would have pulled the trigger on the Dura Ace C24s by now, they are so heavily discounted, but I really want a wider rim. Then I would supplement with a 45-50mm aero carbon wheel.

However, the reality is that I am really a "one wheel" kind of guy and don't really ride mountains, but I am also smaller and don't want a wheel that will push me around too much in cross winds. Hence, I settled that something in 30-35mm range is a good "compromise", especially since they are nearly the same weight as the completely non aero aluminum wheels. At first I really wanted Zipps but the more I read, the more I am concerned about the quality of the hubs, and frankly the wheels are fairly heavy for a 32mm rim...

I am holding off to see what the prices of the new 17mm Shamal Ultra looks like, if they are on sale out of the gate at something close to the older 15mm versions then I will pick a set of those up in dark label, brand conflict be damned, they are GREAT looking wheels!

Mark

mimason

by mimason

What are you waiting for? Get the BO35s and rest at ease. All around great wheel and ticks all the boxes. The brand mixing argument is for ballerinas. :beerchug:

lowside67

by lowside67

mimason wrote:What are you waiting for? Get the BO35s and rest at ease. All around great wheel and ticks all the boxes. The brand mixing argument is for ballerinas. :beerchug:

Just the price! I love the BO35s... but at half the price, I feel like I may not be enough of a rider to notice the difference with the Shamals.

Mark

mimason

by mimason

Starbike pricing still too high? Mine were rougly 1500US

sifi1975

by sifi1975

Multebear wrote:sifi1975, what is your intended purpose for the Wheels? Racing, training, climbing? And what is your terrain? Lot of hills, flat? And what is the weather like where you live? And how much do you weigh?

You can't just decide between Wheels if those details aren't laid out.

My gutfeeling-reply would be neither of the three. I don't see any reason choosing Zeros, 202's or Bora 35's. But that's just me. If you're moving to carbon, I'd pick something deeper than 30-35 mm. But Again, one needs more info to give a decent advice.

I get out most weekdays and have a couple of 60 km/40 mile routes that I do. One is mostly flat the other mostly hills. On the weekends I ride both days and like to get in at least one 100 - 150 km ride depending on my time. That is always a mixture of flat and hills. I do some bunch riding but no racing.

Wind is usually around on the flats and in the last week it has ranged between 15 km/9 miles and 25 km/15 miles. So with those winds I don't venture up in the mountains. We get our wet season over summer here, so the bulk of my riding is in dry weather. I weigh 75 kgs/165 pounds.

This set of wheels is for my Titanium frame. I went to the local and swapped out some wheels on the bike and the deeper profile wheels just didn't look quite right. I have never ridden carbon wheels, but as others have commented I see them as an alternative to alloys.

However, I must admit that from what I have read some of the other aero alloys such as HED C2+ could fit the bill and i have always wanted to have a set of CK hubs. Really I am open for any suggestion

Thanks all 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Such Is Life

sifi1975

by sifi1975

stormur wrote:
sifi1975 wrote:
Hey not at all, in fact the idea someone else suggested of campy bora one 35 seems like a better option for similar money as the Zipps. Any comments please ?

Consider these ( teams usage ) :

Corima 32mm "s" ( Astana )
Vision Metron ( Cofidis )
Ursus Miura (CCC)
DT Swiss RC 38C (IAM Cycling)
Fulcrum Racing Quattro Carbon / Racing Speed 35( Lampre Merida)

Life doesn't end on Zipp , even in that forum says so :)

:D
Such Is Life