TPI Cartridge Bearings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

probertsqbe

by probertsqbe

All,

I have been offered a set of TPI cartridge bearings as a replacement for some failed bearings.mI've done some research and can see that they are based in Taiwan and supply bearings to a number of manufacturers.

I understand that they are also included within some of the bitex hubs.

As someone based in the UK who rides all year round in any weather I have previously had bad experience with Enduro bearings lasting less than 1000 miles. After further research everyone was recommending SKF bearings which I purchased and have been much more robust and given me several thousand miles without issue.

I did a search on this forum which has lots positive feedback on SKF bearing but not TPI bearings.

The main driver is that I can get the TPI bearings about 40% cheaper than the equivalent SKF and as I do all my own mechanical work then time is not an issue for me.

Has anyone got any direct experience of TPI bearings in wet conditions such as the UK?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

If you want a known quantity, go with SKF and pay the price (I did for my Bitex hubs).

On the other hand, if time is not an issue, try TPI and maybe swap them more often. You can also open the inside facing seal and re-pack them before install - some people do this on Shimano and Sram BBs before they install them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Miche use TPI bearings in there Primato hubs these are well known to do high mileage in horrid conditions. I'd say they are fine but it not the quality of the bearing that is critical but the alignment of the bearing seats, size of the bearing and is there enough grease in them who actually makes it does not seem to be that critical.

Personally I have tried SKF bearings in some hubs and have not noticed a difference in longevity but it is difficult to tell really a conditions are never the same.

kavitator

by kavitator

Bitex rear NDS bearing has bad protection against outer water dust...

TPI will be good as Enduro in Bitex
Or try EZO

probertsqbe

by probertsqbe

Thanks I didn't realise that TPI bearings were included with the Miche hubs which I had read good reports about. I'm going to give the TPI bearings a go.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

SKF steel bearings cost hardly anything. Not sure what you are on about regarding price.

@kavitator; you mean the design of the hub itself, or the bearing they use?

All bike bearings are LLB type seals, which offer pretty much bugger all real protection anyway, so whatever bearing you get is not going to be resistant to water or dust.

kavitator

by kavitator

TheDarkInstall: design of hub

Original Bitex hub has Enduro bearings - if you ride in rain; soon NDS bearings will need replacment. EZO 2 RS bearings was no better.
But it was one or two bearings in seassion - not big deal.

Novatec has same issue with rear NDS bearings

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

I agree that Enduro bearings are lame. Especially the hybrid ceramic type which are a recipe for disaster

All LLB bearings are never going to last that long on a bike though, really. And that is every single bearing on your bike.

Just get cheap Japanese steel bearings (NTN, NSK, SKF, etc) and replace them when they get killed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

probertsqbe

by probertsqbe

@TheDarkInstall thanks for the advice. that's the conclusion that I come to. From my experience SKF bearings have lasted at least three times as longer than the equivalent Enduro LLB in poor conditions.