Wheel & power meter choice help?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fuzzydunlop

by fuzzydunlop

Hi all,

New to the forum. Trying to decide which way to go here. I'm looking for a new set of wheels for my SL4. Basically I've got it narrowed down to enve 3.4s or zipp 202s. My question is partially about the wheels and partially about power meters. I don't have a meter currently, so I'm wondering if I should buy at the same time (e.g. powertap hub) or buy wheels separately and wait until I can save up enough for the power meter. I have a campy groupset w/ s-works cranks, so seems like my crank-based power meter choices are limited. Some possibilities:

- Enve 3.4 clincher w/ powertap hub for around $3k
- Enve 3.4 clincher w/ DT 240 hubs for around $2.8k
- Zipp 202 clincher for around $2.3k

Campy Bora Ultras Clinchers are also in the mix.

I'd like to get into training with power (never used it before) and the extra 200 on top of the DT240 enves seems like a good way to do it. What would you do? Thanks!

Grill

by Grill

Get a Power2Max and Reynolds Aero wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bombertodd

by bombertodd

What are you looking for in wheels? Light? Aero? Cool factor?

I'd look into the Power2Max power meter or the Pioneer since prices are dropping. The Zipp 202 is an odd wheel to me. It's not light enough or aero enough for the price.

fuzzydunlop

by fuzzydunlop

Mainly looking for a light, stiff wheel. Cool factor is definitely a plus. Aero is not a huge consideration, and I don't want to go with too deep of a wheel to get screwed when I ride in crosswinds. The 3.4s seem to fit the bill on all of these factors, which is why they're currently top in my running.

The main reason I was considering the powertap is because (i) it'd only be $200 more and (ii) I wouldn't have to change out my cranks. Is there that much of a benefit to going to crank-based power as opposed to in the hub?

davidalone

by davidalone

I'd agree with the power2max suggestions. Campy boras top the list for me. most balanced wheelset of them all, and build quality ios excellent. will last you a loing while.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Power2max has a PM for the S-works cranks. I think Quarq too. Just replace the spider.
For your wheel requirements the Bora 35 seems the perfect fit.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Get the Boras. Save your money for a crank based PM if you can't afford it now. Instead of considering how an extra $200 now will get you a powertap, consider that $200 as the first chunk of you savings towards s power meter that doesn't limit your wheel choice in the future. The best wheels will not be laced to a powertap. I had one and they are hard on spokes but it was mostly the fact that if I wanted the power data I was locked into that wheelset that was very frustrating. And it was very clunky looking.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Geoff

by Geoff

I'm the other way on that: get an SRM and get the wheels when you have more dosh. You will have the SRM for a long time.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

True, I just assumed his first priority was wheels first then PM when funds permitted. But it would strongly recommend the crank based PM ... Campy SRM is superb but I realize it's not for everyone's pocket book.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Geoff

by Geoff

Agreed, the Campagnolo SRM is expensive, but there are alternatives, including a good, used one. I just think that more effective training will reap more benefits than aero wheels. I will admit that aero wheels look more cool...

fuzzydunlop

by fuzzydunlop

Thanks guys. I think I might just invest in the power meter first. Quarq/p2m seem like a good way to go so then I can wait and get some wheels later. I like your point, Geoff, that effective training will help me more at this point than fast wheels

Geoff

by Geoff

It will make a material change in your training. No more 'monkeying-around', all business. I don't know where you are located, but before you get the Quarq/p2m, check-around for a used SRM.

fuzzydunlop

by fuzzydunlop

Why is an SRM so superior? I read the guide on dcrainmaker, it seems like it's not really that much better, esp for the price. And he warned from buying used ones. I did find a used one w/ cranks and rings here for $1200, so it's getting close to the p2m price, but I'm worried about something being wrong with it.

Geoff

by Geoff

For me, it is the day-in, day-out reliability of the things. They don't care if it is raining or snowing, if it is hot or cold, dusty or muddy. They just keep on working. The off crash, no problem. They really are that tough. My oldest system is about 15 years old now, still going strong (so is the PCIV that goes with it, for that matter).

The repeatability and reliability of the data is fantastic. I have only ever lost one file, and I am pretty sure that was somehow my fault.

The PCV was not that hot because of its battery life and the fact that sometimes parts of the screen go down. The PC7, though, is fantastic.

With respect to new vs. used, I have had both. Both types have been just fine (well, I had an internal reed switch go last season in a Shimano SRM, but they fixed that for free). To be honest, as much as I like the wireless Shimano, Campagnolo and Rotor systems, I am just as happy with the old wired systems. I would not hesitate to recommend an older, wired SRM.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bombertodd

by bombertodd

In my opinion the cost of the SRM isn't worth it. If they were that much better than other power meters all the pro's would be using them. Many people on this board seem very happy with their Power2Max.