Austria also got some Weight Weenies...

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Samy_Vienna

by Samy_Vienna

hey guys,

Spring last year i get infected with the weightweenie virus, unfortunately my old frame (a Look KG461) i bought used from a friend was not really light (1.8kg with fork and headset).

So for the upcoming season is decided to get something brand new,
the only limit was that the frameset should not cost more than 1000€, an noname taiwan frame? no thanks, not for me...

I wanted something with a name... luckily i found a very good offer at a bikestore in Salzburg (i am from Vienna, Austria). 1200€ for a brand new Cervel RS in size 51 with 3T Funda fork, Syntace P6 and a carbon CankeCreek Headeset. I think you can call it love at first sight... i wanted this frame... NOW... so waiting for transfering the money and get it sent by mail? ahm... NO...

Same week, saturday morning 9AM, get into the car for a short trip to salzburg (around 300km oneway...) the shop closes at 1PM... i arrive there at 12:50! After more then 7 hours i finally arived at home, with my new frame in the trunk and a big smile on my face.

The first fitting of the parts shows me, it was a very good investment.

In th next few days i will build it up with a 2007 record, a fulcrum rs, syntace parts, a schmolke sl handlebar and my frm fl-r23 carbonwheels...

right now only 2 parts are missing, the brakes (dont know, should i buy some kcnc or some record skeletons, what are you think?) and a new freewheel for the frm (last season i drove a ultegra sl)

so long, so good... hope my english is not that bad like i think :D

MEMBER OF THE LIGHT-BIKES RACINGTEAM

Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

Samy_Vienna wrote:...
So for the upcoming season is decided to get something brand new,
the only limit was that the frameset should not cost more than 1000€, an noname taiwan frame? no thanks, not for me...

I wanted something with a name... luckily i found a very good offer at a bikestore in Salzburg (i am from Vienna, Austria). 1200€ for a brand new Cervel RS

ah so you went with a named taiwan frame i see. Those bars don't look to comfortable though, in any position...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Samy_Vienna

by Samy_Vienna

bad wording... i mean some "wow superlight superstiff better than everything" frames on ebay for about 600€ or something like that...

i only try the bar for 1 or 2 rides on my old bike before disassembling it, for me it fits... ok the look is little bit strange...

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

To get one of my frames I rode my bike to a bikeshop after work as they were open till 8pm. Well that day they closed early :D and it was raining with 7 degrees for some 15km one way. The day after I called them to make sure the owner feels like staying till 8pm and went there again. Barely made it and almost had an accident on the way back with the frameset in my right hand and handlebar in the left. Your trip was not a crazy idea-we all are crazy in some way :D

Great frame and good luck with it. Think I might get a road bike this year.

Chris.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

micky

by micky

Welcome on board!

Did you finish to build up yet your bike?
Looking forward to some nice pics! :D

Samy_Vienna

by Samy_Vienna

micky wrote:Welcome on board!

Did you finish to build up yet your bike?
Looking forward to some nice pics! :D

still the brakes and the freewheel hub are missing :cry:
yesterday i just ordered a set of titan screws for ma f99 and i am thinking about getting some speedplay zero titans in white...

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

I would get Record skeletons. Just something about superlight brakes that scares me... :shock:
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Juanmoretime wrote:Light brakes are fine although everything becomes very critical. Brake pads, cables and housing must be correct. Housing needs to be stiff and cut square on the ends or better yet you really should use Nokon or Alligator I-Link to get great braking. The later is my favorite.

Thread hijack on:

Juanmoretime, you are absolutely right. I just expressed my own personal fear - I have never tried light brakes but don't think I could do it. Kind of like ultra-light stems (as in WW, not the brand). Those are two places I cannot see the reason to go very light.

Thread hijack off...
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

legs 11

by legs 11

Welcome Samy, nice bike you got there. :)
Pedalling Law Student.

jhamlin38

by jhamlin38

I have 'em and love them. I installed the new alligator i-link housing and cables and they're actually noticeably smoother and stronger than the regular campy cables. Plus they're uberlight compared to regular housing. and they look sensational.
nice build.
enjoy!

Samy_Vienna

by Samy_Vienna

ok, one of our teammembers also got the kcnc, about 90kg and he say they are working very well... so my 60kg should not be a big problem for these brakes...

today i just saw a extralite ebones set for about 500€... did anybody have some experience with this cranks? i think they will fit perfekt to the bike...

Samy_Vienna

by Samy_Vienna

its almost done... the pictures are from yesterday... today it got his white bartape...

only the *f##k* hub for the wheel is missing... so no testride at the moment :cry:

wheigt (with cassette): 6,241kg :D

EDIT: and because my local bikepartdealer sold his last record brake 5minutes before i call him he sold me a super record for the price of a normal record :D
Attachments
DSC_4075.JPG
DSC_4072.JPG

TheBugMan
Location: Seattle ZOO - AfterReceivingComplaints, MyAvatarIsNowChanged. IGiveYouMySexyMug.

by TheBugMan

Ooohh! That looks good (^_^)`slobber.
CLICK HERE to see my weenie

Click THIS to hear what happens when I see your and my weenie.

nichos

by nichos

now pump your tires and ride the thing!

nice bike, btw!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Hey Samy_Vienna,
Very nice build! Glad you were able to make the buying decision in under 10 minutes! :)

I'm in CZ but Austria isn't far. I did about 25 last year just North of Vienna in and around Poysdorf, Falkenstein etc. Riding to Austria is my favorite route- great roads, beautiful scenery, low traffic. I plan on riding to Vienna this summer... its long so I'm not sure if I will break it up into 2 days...

Are you doing any rides/races/radmarathons this year? I'm in the lottery for Oetztaler Radmarathon in late August... 238km, tons of climbing... it will be my first Radmarathon.

Cheers,
John