My Next 'Nago; Project C6.0

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Well that's pretty. I too prefer the shallower wheelset on this build.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

But deep aero wheels are de rigueur! Right, wrong of indifferent - deep aero wheels look racey and they're pro.

I think aero bikes deserve deep aero wheels. For other bikes, wheels should compliment their intended purpose.

Why burden a WW climbing machine with 808's? Why put 32h open pro's on a Venge?

Then again, there's the LIGHT and DEEP rim choices that blow-up my "rules."

<><><><><><><>

IMHO and after my mindless rambling (see above), this C60 looks fantastic with either wheel sets.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Ha. I typically prefer riding deeper wheels but since I have a forced change in my riding behavior this year - I figured I should experiment. If the 58s were more compliant I'd probably never take them off.. But my purpose with this bike is to enjoy the ride!

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Finally had a chance to get out on the new wheels yesterday and was very pleasantly surprised by the ride quality and braking. Compared to my 58s, it felt like every road was just resurfaced! A little skittish on one 55mph descent though - first time I've ever had to sit up before the bottom.
Last edited by Imaking20 on Fri May 12, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nismosr

by nismosr

Imaking20 wrote:Got the 25mm Paves on and swapped out the Red 11/28 for a DA9100 11/30. Ride and shift quality is much nicer now and weight is up to 6.7kg. I'll put the Corsa Speeds in a set of 3.4s that live on my wife's bike and hope to be at 6.4-6.5 kilos when I feel like running the climber setup. These 58s will probably remain the primary wheels... I've got my eye on something a little more classic as well :)

love the look of that 9100 crank .. what's you saddle to bb measurement ?
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Imaking20 wrote:...55mph descent though - first time I've ever had to sit up before the bottom.

That's why we go up - to bomb down the other side.

Disheartening to hear that wheelset won't let you fly.

Reason enough to bin them. I wouldn't keep them. Really.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

@nismosr - saddle to BB is only 74cm. Tight hamstrings!

@Johnny - it is a little bit of a bummer, I definitely live for the downhill! But the weight, ride, and price is still working for me. Typical terrain around here is a lot of short, punchy stuff - so those speeds on descents aren't typical. If anything, I'm hoping maybe these replace the 3.4s :)

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Might have been a false alarm about the wheels. I found a little bit of slop in the steerer. Unfortunately, now I'm traveling for a week so I can't bomb any descents! The suspense may kill me...

TonyM

by TonyM

What kind of Garmin (?) mount are you using?

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Tillquist

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Added 12g with a dura ace cassette - well worth it for the better shifting in smaller cogs over the Red so far.

Shed a few grams with a new (to me) Berk List saddle though. I've always been curious about Berk's saddles so I'm excited to give it a go. If it feels good, I'll swap out the stem and bartape and hack off some of this seatpost.

I also yanked off the garmin mount. After a few months of no mount, I'm realizing that I've grown pretty fond of wearing a watch to keep track of data instead - then I'm not focusing on numbers during the ride!

The weight is down to 6260 now. I'd really like to get down below 6.2kg and think I should get there alright with function intact. I've got some 9100 pedals on the way that will add to the challenge - but this creaking from my Keos is driving me mad!

I'm now trying to have the lightest C60 on WW :)

wobbly

by wobbly

Imaking20 wrote:Some new wheels thanks to RyanH!

Now at 6355g. Which was exactly my original goal. But now I've got a few more bits to add.

That looks fantastic - even the glossy cranks complement the paint on this build :thumbup:

Still can't get used to the rear mech/cage shape and what it does to the chain line side view !

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Thank you! I don't seem to notice the RD so much in person. The crank shape is definitely what catches my attention - and I've grown pretty fond of the aesthetics in general. It would probably look more "at home" on something like a TMR though!

Got my 9100 pedals in the mail last night. I'll take the 45g penalty if it gives me some peace and quiet!

I may give some Ti axles a try.

Also, I've been getting along surprisingly well with the Berk saddle. Honestly, I'm surprised. My anatomy does NOT like Selle Italia and I figured the shape was mostly the same. I was wrong! New bar tape and stem on the way to finish some color swapping :)

Imaking20

by Imaking20

So the lightest C60 I've found on here is 6160g. I'm not sure I'll get there with DA cassette and pedals. I've got a black Kalloy stem on the way as well as some lighter skewers. Then seatpost collar and bolt tuning... but I'm not sure that will get me 100g+ :(

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Happy to report the wheels have redeemed themselves. The 50mph+ shudder was the slightly loose fork.

Edit: don't shoot, the black kalloy stem will be here tomorrow :oops:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com