Emonda ALR build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

golfsierra

by golfsierra

Last May, something clicked and I got the urge to buy a road bike, did a little research, rode a few bikes, ended up with a 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 5 in "Waterloo Blue"
And all kind of went downhill from there. I used to tune and work on cars, so I'm taken to a bit tinkering and "upgrading."

Anyways, here's my bike.

Frame/Fork
-2016 Emonda ALR
F/R Derailleur
-DA9000
Crankset
-DA9000 53/39
-Gen2 Stages DA9000
Brakeset
-DA9000
-Swisstop Black Prince EVO
Wheelset/Tires
-Boyd 44mm Carbon Clincher
-Gatorskins and Bontrager Butyl Tubes for off season
-Schwalbe One and Michelin Latex Tubes for on season
-Dura Ace 9000 Skewers
Shifters
-105 5800 (thought I would put off buying the DA9000 until the summer incase I crash)
Handlebar
-44cm Bontrager Race VR-C
-Lizardskins 2.5mm
Stem
-FSA OS168
Computer
-Garmin 520 w/OTF Mount
Seatpost/Saddle
-S-Works Toupe' 155
-Generic Carbon post
Pedals
-105 5800
Bottle Cages
-Ebay "XXX"

Rough weight is about 7.71kg/17lbs, haven't gotten it on a proper scale yet.
Short term plans are to get a lighter bar and seatpost, and a new wheelset, longer term plans are to get it closer 6.8kg/15lbs.

Hoven

by Hoven

Great build, love the color! I'm on my way to lighten my emonda ALR to 6.8kg aswell :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hlvd

by hlvd

Nice, can't get that colour in the UK.
I've one built up from a frameset with 6800, comes to 7.2kg without pedals and cages.
I still can't believe how stiff and comfortable the bike is, it rides like a carbon frame!
Last edited by hlvd on Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Beautiful -- if your fit is dialed in you can knock a few grams off by cuttin' the steerer!

I'd think the 44mm Boyds are pretty light, decent all-around wheels. What are you planning on switching to?

golfsierra

by golfsierra

Appreciate it guys, and glad to hear there are some other ALRs floating around on here, I couldn't be happier with mine.

@jbaillie
Still not 100% on the fit, but will chop the steerer when I've settled on it.
IDEALLY I want to get a set of Bontrager Aeolus 5s if I can swing a team discount from my LBS, but more likely I'll be getting some farsports tubulars for race season.

hlvd

by hlvd

How are you finding the ride?

golfsierra

by golfsierra

hlvd wrote:How are you finding the ride?

Well I'll be the first to admit I don't have much experience with road bikes, so I can't really comment on the intricacies of frame materials and their effects on ride quality, buuuut I have absolutely no complaints about the bike. Feels quick to turn and lean in, and stable on descents and at higher speeds, and with 25mm tires running 90ish psi I haven't been rattled to death even when riding on gravel, dirt, etc

Also, just read that about no Waterloo blue in UK, that sucks! I wasn't crazy about the color when I first bought it, but it's since grown on me, and if I got another Trek, I'd seriously consider paying for a Projectone just so I could have another Waterloo blue

hlvd

by hlvd

golfsierra wrote:
hlvd wrote:How are you finding the ride?

Well I'll be the first to admit I don't have much experience with road bikes, so I can't really comment on the intricacies of frame materials and their effects on ride quality, buuuut I have absolutely no complaints about the bike. Feels quick to turn and lean in, and stable on descents and at higher speeds, and with 25mm tires running 90ish psi I haven't been rattled to death even when riding on gravel, dirt, etc

I've also an SL and what struck me when I rode the ALR was how similar these frames ride, very comfortable and very stiff, a total revelation, every time I ride it I keep thinking wow, it's pretty good considering it's aluminium.

Christono

by Christono

Good to see another ALR on here, real nice colour too.

Looking to get mine from 7.36 to sub 7 so I'll be following this thread

golfsierra

by golfsierra

So not much of an update, but I've been trying to do more core exercises so I can slam my stem like all the cool, "kids," and after a few longer rides to try and get a feel, went ahead and trimmed the steerer down, saved all of 12g off the fork, plus 23g off the bike from removing spacers.

Looking to order new bar and seat post soon, but to maintain the same fit reach wise I'll need to get a longer stem as the stock Bontrager bars that come with the bike have a relatively long reach, so I'll need new stem as well, likely a kalloy, unless I can get a good deal on a Bontrager XXX stem from LBS.

Also, Trek/Bontrager were having a pretty killer sale on their XXX LE road shoes, so got myself a pair, and took off some more total, "system," weight.

golfsierra

by golfsierra

Another small update, but got a new headset cap and gave the stem a proper slamming. LBS had a tougher time than expected finding a cap that actually fit, ended up having to swap out part of the headset bearing to get a flush mounting of cap over the bearings. And got a more scientific weight from a park tools scale on the bike, came out to 7.747kg or 17.08lbs with pedals, cages, garmin mount, etc...and a gatorskin and butyl tube on back (was running on the trainer)
Hoping to get new skewers and bars on so I can get around 16lbs before first race next month.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

That bike looks sweet! I'm loving how these ALR's are starting to make their way to enthusiasts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

golfsierra

by golfsierra

So, made a few build purchases, namely one of those knock-off Bontrager XXX integrated bar/stem combos and an ee cycle works expander/top cap set. Still trying to decide which budget skewers and seat post I should get.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

What headset did you end up getting? I have a friend with the same bike, and he's trying to slam his stem, but doesn't know what the part number is. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grumpus

by grumpus

Great color. Great bike. Trek has some impressive offerings these days.

For budget skewers, give planet x a look. The hylix seatposts seem to get mostly good reviews too.

What's your thinking for butyl training tubes? I've heard latex is more puncture resistant (I guess a little more expensive to replace if they do pop though).