CAAD12 Project - 6.32kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

Greetings!

After having some fun and already being burnt out with my daily 6.8KG 2016 Scott CR1, I have decided to pursue my Aluminati obsession and build up another daily rider. I always wanted a CAAD10 though at the time I could never afford a back up bike. Thankfully, I came across a good deal on this CAAD12 frameset and figured it would be a good time to have some more fun :thumbup:.

Below are some photos of the frame and an unboxing video.

I had to chase the FEDEx driver down because my Wife didn't hear the door bell!! :noidea:

https://youtu.be/JNjC3fHs_Q8

I am very impressed with the quality of the frame and the fork and love the metal flake portion on the fork. Initially I planned to strip it down and polish it up like some of my old BMX builds but I think she is way to pretty to do that right now! :lol:

I weighed the frame with seat post clamp and other small bits at 1160 grams and the fork was 370 grams uncut. I am planning to spend a couple of months on this build and I have not decided which components and direction I am heading in other then not wanting to spend to much $$.

I already have a set of 38mm Carbon Clinchers that weight 1350 grams and I perhaps I will use a combo of a Red 22 and Force 22 groupset to stay within my budget.

Please let me know If anyone has good advice or ideas on components, I think my ultimate goal is to be around 6.8kg.

Last edited by FLtrooper on Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
:beerchug:

Sizzler

by Sizzler

Nice choice, it's a great color, should look really good built up!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

evan326

by evan326

I don't feel as worried about the weight of my fork now. Mine is 358g and I thought it was supposed to be much lighter.
Hylix seat post and kalloy stem from ebay are good cheap, light starts. Mine has the same flake in the black. I like the red of yours better though

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

evan326 wrote:I don't feel as worried about the weight of my fork now. Mine is 358g and I thought it was supposed to be much lighter.
Hylix seat post and kalloy stem from ebay are good cheap, light starts. Mine has the same flake in the black. I like the red of yours better though

I already have a 120mm or 110mm Uno depending on fit, carbon 40cm bar, and plan to order the hylix zero offset to go wth the new Shimano Pro Stealth saddle I ordered from Germany. I'm thinking force derailleur and red cranks/shifters.

What's the part number for that super light expander you have? I haven't weighed the one that my bike came with but I'm sure it's nothing special.

Sizzler wrote:Nice choice, it's a great color, should look really good built up!

evan326

by evan326

It's the KP017L
That's the cheapest place I've found to buy it. They go in and out of stock, I would grab one quickly if you're thinking about it.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

^^ get one quick!! When they're gone they tend to be gone for quite a while. Qwerty are great, that's where I ordered mine from a while ago.

kervelo

by kervelo

gerryc89

by gerryc89

Amazing color! Where did you pick the frame up?

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

gerryc89 wrote:Amazing color! Where did you pick the frame up?

I scooped her up on Fleabay from a shop in Michigan.

evan326 wrote:It's the KP017L
That's the cheapest place I've found to buy it. They go in and out of stock, I would grab one quickly if you're thinking about it.

I just weighed the expander that came with my frameset.. It seems pretty light?

:)

evan326

by evan326

That is the one I have, the same one I linked to.
There isn't any point in changing from that one unless you're going to something like the ultrastar or tune. $70 isn't worth another 8g to me though.

gsindela

by gsindela

Great frame. Thought the following video might help you: (Talks about pieceing together a SRAM group for best price/performance)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFUcSrmIcKk&t=6s
2015 Storck Scenero G3, Force 22, Ultegra wheels, Zipp AL bars, stem, post

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

evan326 wrote:That is the one I have, the same one I linked to.
There isn't any point in changing from that one unless you're going to something like the ultrastar or tune. $70 isn't worth another 8g to me though.

Ok great.. I just need the 5mm spacer and I'm all set! I was surprised this was the expander that came with my frame, I figured I would of had the 40+ gram basic one.

gsindela wrote:Great frame. Thought the following video might help you: (Talks about pieceing together a SRAM group for best price/performance)

Thanks and Sweet.. I just recently noticed that video and it seems like a perfect recipe!

Do you know if I piece the set together, do all (brake and shifter) cables typically come with the shifters? If not, what is a preferred setup for ease of install and WW?

:)

evan326

by evan326

Guess you got the hookup
With the shimano shifters I'm looking to buy, they have an option to include cables or not. What crank are you planning to use?
Last edited by evan326 on Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gsindela

by gsindela

gsindela wrote:Great frame. Thought the following video might help you: (Talks about pieceing together a SRAM group for best price/performance)

Thanks and Sweet.. I just recently noticed that video and it seems like a perfect recipe!

Do you know if I piece the set together, do all (brake and shifter) cables typically come with the shifters? If not, what is a preferred setup for ease of install and WW?

:)[/quote]
Unfortunately, I do not know. You are welcome!

Edit: ran across this regarding WW cables: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=143906
2015 Storck Scenero G3, Force 22, Ultegra wheels, Zipp AL bars, stem, post

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

evan326 wrote:Guess you got the hookup
With the shimano shifters I'm looking to buy, they have an option to include cables or not. What crank are you planning to use?

Great.. I will do a little more research into it.

My plans for the group are as follows..

Red22 Crankset
Force22 Rear Derailleur
Red22 Front Derailleur
Most likely Force22 Shifters (this is a budget build.. haha $$)

I hope that setup will yield a pretty light setup for the $$.

gsindela wrote:Unfortunately, I do not know. You are welcome!

No problem! Lots of great help on this Forum, I'm sure when the time is right someone will chime in :)

I went ahead and snapped some photos of a couple of the parts I have laying around for this build..

120mm Uno Stem

Deda Bar Tape and caps (uncut)

I also have a new Asia carbon bar that needs some sanding work, it's currently about 250 grams which is on the heavy side! :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com