Canyon Endurace cf slx : first experience with disc's (update 25/11/2016)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Delorre

by Delorre

Now winter month's are coming, it's time to give the Scott some rest and use something other. But, my 'old' Canyon don't feel right anymore, especiallly after loving the great handling and responsivness of the Scott : to twitchy and not stiff enough front end (not what you want for winter training...), and overall less great feel.

So, time for something new, and I though : why no disc's? Problem: a lot of the new disc race bikes are on dispay for shows, but are only available beginning 2017. After I read some great reviews (to take with a serious grain of salt, as my previous Canyon proved me), some geometry analysis, the hope the handling would be a little more tame, as it's more of an indurance bike, and, being in stock, I puled the trigger for the new Endurace, size M, DA Disc.

Few day's after the order, the box was already at home.

Bike in the box:

After 30' build up and rough setup, it looked like this:

Thing weights exactly 7,3 without pedals as shown

The reach of the frame being shorter as my 2 other bikes, and with the stock 10cm combo, the overall reach was way to short. Time to re use the 1 1/4 12cm stem of the previous Canyon, together with a temporary longer reach Ritchey Evolution handlebar I had laying around to see how it turns out. Result : almost perfect! As I was busy changing parts, I also changed the porky post and sadle combo for a trusty Superlogic / Toupé combo, the 28mm tyres and matching big innertubes were also swapped for 23mm conti's (came out to almost 26 mm on the 18mm internal wide rims) along with some latex inner tubes.

Result : a little under 6,8kg as shown.

Took it out for a short spin for a first validation of the position and I'm more than happy with my choise : bikes feels planted and stable, yet very responsive out of the saddle. All I wanted. Of course, I have to put some serious rides on it, but first impressons are very positive. Only negative, but easy fix : I hate that DA 11-28 cassette with it's huge gear gaps.

Later this week, bike will be finalised in this iteration. To do : Deda bartape, steering tube will of course be cut a few cm, Barfly incl DI2 mount to clean up the wiring (same as my Scott) , expander removal (never used one on my previous Canyon), Edco monobloc 12-25 (should arrive tomorrow...) and the DT swiss through axles will be replaced with some lighter ones. Final weight with everything on (bottle cage, garmin mount + 520 + speedplays) will be around 7kg I guess. Oh yes : any tips to remove the grafics of the stem? I've tried some different stuff, such a nail polish remover from the wife, without succes :?

If the bike really meets my expectations, I will change the handlebar to a matt UD one and shorten the brake housings and get rid of the easy mount couplers at the same time.
Last edited by Delorre on Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

upside

by upside

Nice build and I am hoping when Canyon come to the USA that I can pick the same bike up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattyNor

by mattyNor

If you're looking to sell the post let me know!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Silver coloured components don't go on a black bike. Or any bike for that matter.

Delorre

by Delorre

Took the bike out today for it's first real ride. Only 60 km, just to be sure everything is OK for tomorow's club ride. And all I can say, it's that i'm more than happy with the choise. Here some tought's, pluss and minus.

+ : Really stable and predictable ride, without the feeling of riding with a truck or something. Corners very well but goes straight when it has to.
+ : Just as my first Canyon, the filtering of the road buzz is really good, a lot better as my Scott. Bigger impact's remain, but that's a result of only using 23mm Conti's (26mm in reality @ 90PSI)
+ : With the 120mm stem and longer reach bar, riding position is spot on. Only the drop of the bars (130mm) is a little to much for my linking compared to the really compact handlebar on the Scott. But, as this is a temporary handlebar, I'll take that into account when bying a new one
+ : Total weight with everything on (Garmin, speed sensors, bottlecage, Stages) is a few gr under 7,1kg. Not bad for disc's and aloy wheels.
+ : Disc brakes, once you adapt to it compared to rims brakes, are really fine in use : enough power, good modulation. All good.
- : The only real gripe I have are the shifters. They are 'no gruppo' level and really heavy. You feel that weight every time you go out of the saddle and rock the bike. Here again, with the light DI2 DA shifters on the Scott coupled with a 180gr handlebar, the difference is huge. The new DA hydro shifters are on my bucket list. Also, both downshift leavers rattle a little to much. Nothing you can do about it as far as I see. And, the brake levers have a little to much stroke before you actually begin braking. Something to become a habit I suppose, but stroke on my rim brakes is a lot shorter.

Some random thought:

* The Edco monobloc cassette is light : 167 gr for a 12-25. Shifting is good, but not as smooth as a DA or Campa. Nothing wrong, really, just a bit lesss refined. You also have a little more noice. Has to do with the complete hollow and monobloc construction. I have heard the same 'complained' from Red users
* After almost 25 years on a 50T outer ring, going to a 52T outer ring will take some time to use to. I used the same sprockets at the back as I always do on my usual training roads, and of course, sometimes, the gearing felt a little big. My mind and habits have to adapt. Or I re use the 50T of my Scott. Time will tell.

Here a pic of the complete bike, taken before the ride of today:

MoPho

by MoPho

This may help with the lever rattle http://www.bikeradar.com/au/road/gear/a ... ere-41888/ Scroll down to the bottom
My levers rattle a little under certain conditions, but haven't been bad enough for me to do something about it yet.
I also painted the covers on the levers black, looks way better

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

It's nice to see more road disc builds here. 785/685 shifters were surprisingly porky, I wonder how Shimano managed to cut 510g ST-R785 down to 360g of ST-R9170. My plans also include a new pair of shifters, albeit mechanical. Too but prices are quite steep and I'll have to get FD too.

Delorre

by Delorre

MoPho wrote:This may help with the lever rattle http://www.bikeradar.com/au/road/gear/a ... ere-41888/ Scroll down to the bottom
My levers rattle a little under certain conditions, but haven't been bad enough for me to do something about it yet.

Thx for the link, will have a look at the leaver and do a test. Thing is, most of the rattling comes from the downshift lever I think : at the top, there a small screw and washer to allow the lever to pivot, and there is play on that pivot. I should try to unbolt it, and play with very tiny washers or rubbers to eliminate the rattle, but of course to still alow the lever to move freely.

As I already have a can of plastidip at home, I will give it a try and see it black covers looks good or not.

MoPho

by MoPho

Delorre wrote:
MoPho wrote:This may help with the lever rattle http://www.bikeradar.com/au/road/gear/a ... ere-41888/ Scroll down to the bottom

Thx for the link, will have a look at the leaver and do a test. Thing is, most of the rattling comes from the downshift lever I think : at the top, there a small screw and washer to allow the lever to pivot, and there is play on that pivot. I should try to unbolt it, and play with very tiny washers or rubbers to eliminate the rattle, but of course to still alow the lever to move freely.

As I already have a can of plastidip at home, I will give it a try and see it black covers looks good or not.

I used plastic-dip as well on mine, really helps de-emphasize the size of the levers.

Delorre

by Delorre

After around 500 miles, it was time for a first update. Major one was the definitive handlebar instead of the old ( and crashed years ago) 42 cm Ritchey Evolution. In the end, the reach on the hoods was a tad too long and the 130mm drop was a little too agressive, + I got used to more compact bars for the last few years. Off went the Evolution, a Superlogic Logic II in 40cm taking the place, weighting only 185gr instead of 210 for the Evoution. Fit seems perfect now. I order to compensate as much as I could for the heavy hoods, the steel stem bolt were replaced by Ti one's. Stock expander (only 15 gr's :shock: ) and topcap were ditched and replaced by the hollow Canyon topcap from the Ultimate. All in all, 55gr less weight. Grand total is 7030 gr now. Steerer needs to be cut, but that's for a little later. And if I have lots of time left this winter, the brake liners will be shortened, the DI2 cable routed completely along the rear brake liner in order to enter the frame in one place instead of 2 now, and the easy couplers will be binned.

Here some pics taken today after the swap :

View of the cockpit and the hollow topcap:

Build list, with some estimates, such as frame and fork, but most of the weights are veryfied.

mannequinforce

by mannequinforce

That looks like the perfect winter training bike. How are you getting along with the disc's?

boots2000

by boots2000

Great looking bike-
Can you answer a couple questions?
Is their stack and reach on their geometry chart accurate?
What is the actual size of the stock top cap?
You used an aftermarket top cap- just a stock 8mm cap?
What is the actual stem angle on the bar/stem combo?
Is the reach on the bars of the bar stem combo really 70mm?

Thanks-

Delorre

by Delorre

boots2000 wrote:Great looking bike-
Can you answer a couple questions?
Is their stack and reach on their geometry chart accurate?
What is the actual size of the stock top cap?
You used an aftermarket top cap- just a stock 8mm cap?
What is the actual stem angle on the bar/stem combo?
Is the reach on the bars of the bar stem combo really 70mm?

Thanks-

For me, their géo chart seems correct. Reach of the the frame is rather short, stack is spot on. The stock topcap is 15 mm. I us the lower 5 mm one that i ordered from Canyon à few years ago for m'y ultimate. Combo is about 10 degré with à short reach. With the 12 cm ritchey stem and 77 cm saddle height, i have 10 cm drop. Hope this temps.

Roel W

by Roel W

Why didn't you swap the default stem/bar combo to the right size from the beginning when ordering the bike?
I ordered a longer stem on my Canyon's without any problems (had to pay some additional costs).
Now you're highly advanced and expensive carbon stem/bar combo is not used and laying around.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Delorre

by Delorre

Roel W wrote:Why didn't you swap the default stem/bar combo to the right size from the beginning when ordering the bike?
I ordered a longer stem on my Canyon's without any problems (had to pay some additional costs).
Now you're highly advanced and expensive carbon stem/bar combo is not used and laying around.

I ordered à 12 cm combo,. but it is 42 wide ( i'm used to à 40 now ) and the 70 mm reach with the extra 1 cm sweep back is really to short. As I use the stem of my previous Canyon, i Will use the 12 cm combo on that one to sell it. Same for the seatpost.