Cryptic cycles

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

I was meaning new to me. I like to test and try all types of composite techniques and materials. Some of them may not even be useful for bikes. I've found several times that I discover a way to do something because of something unrelated. I also have built a tube to tube bike in almost every way possible. (Prepreg, wet lay, tow wrapped wet lay etc.). Not because I want to build them any other way but I feel that educating myself on the different techniques helps me explain to people why I build the way I do and to further educate myself on composite techniques.

I hope that makes sense. Kevin

Edit- KGT that's one of the things I'm trying out. Molded honeycomb tubing.
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nicrump

by nicrump

regarding the FRM tubes, nomex honeycomb core tubing is very intriguing. theoretical strength and stiffness to weight is through the roof.

take for example a normal tube wall of 1mm(T=.040"). divide that into 2 .5mm skins with a core of 3*T. mass increased only by ~6% yet is over 30 times stiffer and 10 times higher flexural strength. the FRM and others of the time took the approach of reducing thickness/mass of T substantially in an effort to produce a tube with equal or great properties at a much lower weight. it only sort of worked. while the bikes function just fine and hit all the marks stiffness and what not, their point impact resistance was horrible. as was radial compression. and they just didn't come out that much lighter f at all.

the problem is they are already able to make incredibly light frame given the nature of the trussed bicycle. T is already damn thin. It gets too thin in the application described above.

if the goal was say super stiff with less regard for weight, it would be great. but that's not what most people want. could make a killer match sprint bike.

you may recall in LAs hay day, trek used some nomex in a few bikes. localized in the BB area. Lance hated it. the bike were just too stiff.

I look forward to seeing what Kevin comes up with. The theory behind it is important to understand and can be applied in other areas in t-2-t frame construction.

jever98

by jever98

kevosinn wrote:I was meaning new to me. I like to test and try all types of composite techniques and materials. Some of them may not even be useful for bikes. I've found several times that I discover a way to do something because of something unrelated. I also have built a tube to tube bike in almost every way possible. (Prepreg, wet lay, tow wrapped wet lay etc.). Not because I want to build them any other way but I feel that educating myself on the different techniques helps me explain to people why I build the way I do and to further educate myself on composite techniques.

I hope that makes sense. Kevin

Edit- KGT that's one of the things I'm trying out. Molded honeycomb tubing.

@Kevin - that's a very cool approach, nice! Nothing like having tried things out.
----
No longer in the industry

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

The goal for the tubing is not to build something super light. I have some ideas to try. They may or may not work just have to do some testing and see. Like I said I enjoy trying things when I have the time. Always in the hopes to learn more.

Here is the frame coming together from a few pages back. This is all hand brushed with custom mixed colors. Clear is shot first and sanded flat, then brushed and a deep clear over that. It gives the brushed areas a floating look. This customer is getting a frame/fork, bottle cages, bar/stem combo and a seat/post combo. All the components with have small touches of color to tie it all together.

Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I can't wait to see more! Pleeeeeeeese let us see more. Since it is for a customer, you probably won't be putting components on it to take pictures :(
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

godzuki26 wrote:I can't wait to see more! Pleeeeeeeese let us see more. Since it is for a customer, you probably won't be putting components on it to take pictures :(

This one is Getting Etap so I mightttt build it up for pictures here then strip it to send to them.

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Here it is. UD cryptic cages on this as well as bar/stem combo with integrated garmin mount.

coppercook62

by coppercook62

Nice

AZR3

by AZR3

Love weightweenie forums! We get to see some amazing bikes and get a little knowledge from carbon gurus too!

McGilli

by McGilli

The Hand painting looks :thumbup:

rekhyt

by rekhyt

Frame looks great, handlebar-stem joint is too massive imo.

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Thanks for the kind words! . The bar and stem were the customers choice.

godzuki26

by godzuki26

:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

ATMOS

by ATMOS

Very impressive! What is the weight for the frame?

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

This one is 730 grams

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com