Scott Addict R1 Single Speed 3.39kg or 7.47lbs(FINISHED pg6)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

DavidG

by DavidG

Or, you could use a low-weight platform pedal. It's a city bike, after all. Why limit your usage of it to a single pair of shoes? Kind of defeats the purpose...

My AEST Magnesium-Titanium pedals ($50 including shipping on you-know-where) weigh 156g. They started off at 165g and removing the spikes saved 9g; with a bit of tuning they could easily shed a few more grams.

The AESTs are comfortable and sensible and offer great bang for the buck for a city bike solution. They are probably quite a bit heavier than the Ultralites (which weigh how much BTW?), but they will enable you to actually use your bike, which is what it's all about.
Last edited by DavidG on Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidG

craciunptr

by craciunptr

I second the Aest pedals you can find some at 140g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Think of how much lighter flip flops are compared to cycling shoes

DavidG

by DavidG

craciunptr wrote:I second the Aest pedals you can find some at 140g

Interesting... Can you point me in the direction of a pair of these?
DavidG

godzuki26

by godzuki26

KCNC Knife pedals with titanium spindles are 137 grams.
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

DavidG

by DavidG

Yup, I checked out the KCNCs when choosing pedals for my urban/commuter bike. I decided against them for a few reasons:
* Very small platform (50x60mm; the AESTs are 80x80mm)
* The sharp corners could potentially severely maim my (or someone else's) shins
* Ugly as sin :shock:

Last but not least, the KCNCs offer much less value for money than the AESTs. The latter weigh only 16g more (after a quick and easy tuning) at circa one fifth the cost ($192 vs $42). My goal was to build a very light bike bike within the boundaries of a strict budget, so cost was a prime directive. Choosing good value for money components like the AESTs enabled me to end up with a 4.85kg/10.7lb bike with 9x1 gearing at a cost of under $2,500.
DavidG

godzuki26

by godzuki26

This bike just sits in my garage and has not been touched. The reason for this is the inconvenience of the clip in pedals. So, the lightest platform pedal out there that I can find are the KCNC Knife Titanium pedals. These work out perfectly because the black spindles and the gold end caps complement the accents on this build. 137 grams for the pair is light.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I am saving a ton of weight here too. With the lightest clip in pedals out there (Cirrus Ultralite Ti) and decently light shoes (Mavic Huez) with cleats, the pair come out to 269x2 = 538 grams. With the Knife Pedals and some flip flops the pair come out to 141x2 = 282 grams. So my new system saves me 256 grams. I can tune the sandals further by hole punching them too.

ImageFelt AR FRD

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

godzuki26 wrote: With the Knife Pedals and some flip flops the pair come out to 141x2 = 282 grams. So my new system saves me 256 grams. I can tune the sandals further by hole punching them too.

Imagine all the eyeballs you'll be getting if you ride this LW wheelset bike with hole-punched flip-flops to the coffeeshop... So crazy but I love crazy

BmanX

by BmanX

I love it when people do crazy sh!t
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

mlee6050

by mlee6050

not sure if there a price some where of what this build cost but from me estimate a build £2k would mean about 4kg (estimate as in I added in 300g, 500g, 1kg and 1.5kg on parts or group parts like crank with bottom bracket about 500g)