The Holy Grail : Colnago C40 B-Stay Mapei World Champion

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Really nice! But ya gotta find, or paint, the fork to match the frame. You have to. You just have to :)
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

Calnago wrote:Really nice! But ya gotta find, or paint, the fork to match the frame. You have to. You just have to :)

First of all, I have to send the frame to shoopdawoop for proper drilling ...
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

ahhahahha
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

PSM

by PSM

SalsaLover wrote:@PSM

to many yes the C40 is the best bike in history, and this one is the Oscarito WC one !!!!1!!1

Still don't understand why it is "the best". How is this frame compared to a C59 or a Super Six? Educate me. Please.

I'm afraid there is too much emotion and myths here. :wink:

STILL LOVE THE FRAME!

LionelB

by LionelB

PSM wrote:I'm afraid there is too much emotion

When you build such a bike this is what it is all about. The C-40 is also a comfortable all day ride.

PSM

by PSM

Like an Alfa Sud from 1979. Best car EVER! ;)

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

Sure there are frames that exceed what the C40 offer in many aspects

some are lighter
some are stiffer
some are more aero

But the C40 IMHO embodies the most balanced frame of the carbon era. Steel, that is another story.

beautiful, elegant, slender, light, comfortable, great geometry.

what more can you ask ?

The C50 is lighter and stiffer, yes. the C59 I bet even more. But the C40 has comfort for all day while still being a performance racing frame.

... and I will not mention the history, the tradition, the emotion and the myth about it

Mythical. That's the word for it.
Hucken The Fard Up !

PSM

by PSM

Now I understand that I understood. Thanks ;)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes @PSM, you understand. When you talk Colnago, there is a lot of emotion and history tied to the brand. Although, that is fading as I think the molded Colnagos from Asia do not have that same cachet. My first carbon Colnago was in fact a C40. I wouldn't trade any of my current Colnagos for it, whether it be based on ride or aesthetics. I think when anyone says "best frame ever" or "best car ever" you have to take that with a grain of salt. However, I think the particular color scheme of the frame @Salsalover just scored is one of the prettiest of that era. I would love one. But I would not rest until I had the matching fork.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

PSM

by PSM

Calnago wrote:Yes @PSM, you understand. When you talk Colnago, there is a lot of emotion and history tied to the brand. Although, that is fading as I think the molded Colnagos from Asia do not have that same cachet. My first carbon Colnago was in fact a C40. I wouldn't trade any of my current Colnagos for it, whether it be based on ride or aesthetics. I think when anyone says "best frame ever" or "best car ever" you have to take that with a grain of salt. However, I think the particular color scheme of the frame @Salsalover just scored is one of the prettiest of that era. I would love one. But I would not rest until I had the matching fork.

My M10 is a faded Colnago. :lol:

Trying to convince my self to uppgrade to a C59. But it is difficult. M10 is the best road bike I ever ridden. Last 3 frames were R3:s. "Worlds best frames" at the time.

I would love to try a C59. But they are seem to be pretty rare in Stockholm.

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

I am still undecided about the C59, this year I sold lots of stuff to finance the Master AD10 and a C59 with the new AD10 paint

I have the money on the paypal account and I the plan was to order it in January so I can have it as a birthday gift in March, and would be ready to be ridden come next spring.

But the fact is, I am so fully satisfied with the Master and the C50 that really I don't see the need of a new bike.

This one showed up on the radar and couldn't pass on it. But you never know, maybe I got on the next days before I build it a PM with an offer that I can't refuse and I could change my mind. Just like happened with my NOS Bianchi full celeste lugged 928L, somebody bought it from me for twice what I paid for it still new in the box. Sometimes I have regretted that sale, but really my Colnagos were so superior to that one that I consider the best Carbon Bianchi ever, so there was not such a loss.

For years I have been looking to get a NOS C40 on a 56 without luck, so this one was unavoidable. couldn't make up any excuse to not buy it.

Time will tell , in the moment I am plenty happy with the frame and I am waiting for the remaining parts to arrive.

@PSM, you owe yourself to try a lugged Colnago someday, get a C50 or a C40, in traditional geometry, superb bikes, the C50s still can be had new at almost affordable prices, the new C40s are a lot more rare.
Last edited by SalsaLover on Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hucken The Fard Up !

PSM

by PSM

Invite me to Swiss next summer an we might swop bikes for awhile. :)

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

Sure, well now we are having what we call the "Indian Summer" so many sunny and warmer autumn days, but soon will be dark and gloomy and the roads are already covered on yellow leafs... it will be time for the Cyclocross bikes soon...

Spring here is beautiful but very rainy, you could have bad luck and have continuous rainy days during your visit :P, summer is a sure bet.
Hucken The Fard Up !

PSM

by PSM

You should ses Stockholm in November. :?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@PSM... nothing wrong with the M10's... just that to me they look like so many other molded frames out there, especially the graphics. Although, can't say I'm too thrilled with the graphics and colors on the newest C59's either. The quality is still very high on either however and the geometry is sound. The biggest thing about any bike is how it fits you. And with the lugged Colnago frames, you can get them in one centimeter increments for a perfect fit, generally speaking. That is of course, you know what your perfect fit is, which can take a lot tries sometimes before you really find it, or think you've found it. Plus I really like the more traditional horizontal or close to horizontal top tubes on a bicycle. Sloping frames can be hit and miss in the looks department. Actually, so can traditional frames. All depends how you set them up.

So, Not really sure that a C59 would be a significant "upgrade" if you already have a nice fitting M10. Guess you'd have to try one and see. I have not ridden an M10 so I can't really say how one feels compared to the other.