Any other suggested upgrades?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

discolite

by discolite

Hi, I'm halfway through doing up my Merlin Ti to something rather lighter. I've attached a table detailing what I've got (mostly estimated weights, haven't been faithfully weighing, but the total is very close to my actual bike weight) and what I intend to swap out... does anyone have any suggestions for what else I could change to drop a couple more grams?

Please note that it's a project bike, as much Ti parts and full 1st generation XTR where possible, so I'd like to leave a lot of such parts there if removing them only saves a couple of grams. Oh and I neeeed my Koobi saddle! :)

So... any suggestions? Bring 'em on!
Attachments
Merlin Weight breakdown
Merlin Weight breakdown

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stylomilo

by Stylomilo

Good English...Bravo 10/10 .Why you like titanium so much ah? Forget about XTR . Xtr Very heavy leh. Try DT hugi 240 if u really want lighter lah.... :lol:

jer

by jer

How much do you weigh? If you are heavy enough to need the durability of crossmax wheels you will probably regret that Ti BB. Square taper Ti BBs tend to flex a lot under heavy riders causing increased friction and premature bearing failure.

If you are light enough to get away with the Ti BB (imho about 175lbs or less--160 or less if you are real aggressive), then go for Stan's 355 gram rim or the new lightweight wheels from american classic. (I would get the am classic wheels built with DT Revos on the front and non-drive side rear instead of the 14/15s that they list.)

stans: http://www.notubes.com/wheelsetstires.htm
am classic: http://amclassic.com/MTB_350_Wheels.html

discolite

by discolite

Stylomilo wrote:Why you like titanium so much ah? Forget about XTR . Xtr Very heavy leh.

Well, that's why it's a project bike, I'm trying to do it up using a certain series of components and with weight in mind. Also, XTR may be heavier but IMHO the difference in performance is usually well worth the weight.

Jer: good advice, thanks, although the rims you suggested are both not distributed in my corner of the world, which is a shame cos I'm really looking into those AC 350s right now. Ti BBs won't be a problem, I'm just 65kg which is... uh... carry the 2, minus the 8... umm... I dunno exactly, but under 175lbs fer sure!

masterskier

by masterskier

Get the Egg-Beater Triple Titanium pedals, and also get the Easton Monkeylite Riser. Both are light and function excellently.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

masterskier

by masterskier

Get Sapim spokes for the wheels. Nothing is better or stronger!! :!: :!:

http://spinlitecycling.com/

This guy kows ho to build wheels! If you don't trust him, just get the spokes from there. Get the lightest spokes, and alloy self-locking sapim niples. It kicks @%# !!!!