Do I need Stan rimstrips for my 2002 Crossmax UST?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Robin

by Robin

Hello

I run 2002 Crossmax UST and would like to start using ordinary tires because of the weight saving. I was planning to run Hutchinson Phyton Airlights, or the NewPhytons with Stan sealant and a Stan tubeless valve for easier addition of sealant. But on the Stan home site they recommend using a specific rimstrip, but this would add weight and be more expensive, is it necessary? Without the rimstrip would I risk that the tire could roll of the rims?
I weigh 70kg ride xc/ competition

Thank you

Rickyfirst

by Rickyfirst

Robin wrote:Hello

I run 2002 Crossmax UST and would like to start using ordinary tires because of the weight saving. I was planning to run Hutchinson Phyton Airlights, or the NewPhytons with Stan sealant and a Stan tubeless valve for easier addition of sealant. But on the Stan home site they recommend using a specific rimstrip, but this would add weight and be more expensive, is it necessary? Without the rimstrip would I risk that the tire could roll of the rims?
I weigh 70kg ride xc/ competition

Thank you

It is not necessary, but you have to take care of not using too old tyres (already used with inner tubes) because in this case tyres are too flexible and could rip off the rims.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hottessa

by hottessa

I changed to Schwalbe Racing Ralphs (670g) and they immediately "felt quick"
I have yet to puncture having ridden 400km's on them. But if weight is your objective!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
www.almendral.com - luxury road & mtb holidays

hottessa

by hottessa

oh, i weigh 64kg's
www.almendral.com - luxury road & mtb holidays

ico

by ico

Anyone tried to use a Michelin comp s light /non ust/ on Crossmax with Stan s system?
Thank s

mpap89

by mpap89

well on the stans website it says that you shouldn't use michelin because the bead is too wimpy. here's a list of the good and bad tires. i'm going with nokian nbx lite 2.0's.
http://www.notubes.com/recommend.htm

ico

by ico

Yes, thank you, I was just wondering if someone tried it or use a new 05 model with dual compound tech. where the beads should be harder.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com