Stronglight ti MTB cassette?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Dave

by Dave

Anyone tried this cassette yet? Has the TiNi treated cogs, has ramps and all on the teeth, but does it shift well?
Attachments
stronglightTiNicassette.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

King Weel

by King Weel

I was questioning this myself; when I cleaned mine, this cassette looks very similar to my XTR, shifting aids, half teeth etc., so I hope it will probably shift the same. There will not be that much difference in weight either, since the 4 largest sprockets of the XTR are already made out of Ti.
Specialized S-Works Allez (the shiny one :) )
Turner Czar custom
Working on a new S-Works Tarmac custom!

Adri

by Adri

Weight difference can be more than you think.
I have a Kocmo full titanium 12-34 cassette which weighs 205g (it also costs 205 € !)
Shifting isn"t as crisp as XTR and it makes clinky noises when shifting (same as with the Dura Ace cassettes) which I think is due to the light weight and flimsy structure of the sprockets.
The TiNi coating wears off on the sprockets after a while , but I have about 2.5 years on that cassette now and it's still going strong.
Attachments
Kocmo4000_1.jpg
Auribus teneo lupum

Dave

by Dave

On this Stronglight cassette all cogs are titanium with the titanium nitride coating. The weight for a 12-32 is listed at 205 grams.

I e-mailed Kocmo and they said they stopped producing their ti cassette 4 years ago.

I know the XTR shifts well, but am trying to get something lighter that lasts.....I know the 4 or so smaller cogs on the´XTR are steel.

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

Dave,

I have a cycle-dynamics ti cassette and love it. I've had it two years now and it works great. Going from an XTR cassette to the CD cassette I hardly noticed any difference in performance. The CD cassette might not be quite a crisp, but again, nothing that made any real difference.

Adri

by Adri

Dave wrote:I e-mailed Kocmo and they said they stopped producing their ti cassette 4 years ago.

Well, mine is from a batch of seven they made in early 2001, so thats less than 4 years ago.
the fact that it is still on (one of) my bike(s) proves it to be long-lasting.

How did they explain that they are still selling them on their website
Auribus teneo lupum

mt_jr

by mt_jr

A friend of mine was ridding it some time ago. The shifting is superb, but it wears off fast. On the other hand the little ones are compatible with xtr.

Andy

by Andy

Xterra Racer wrote:Dave,

I have a cycle-dynamics ti cassette and love it. I've had it two years now and it works great. Going from an XTR cassette to the CD cassette I hardly noticed any difference in performance. The CD cassette might not be quite a crisp, but again, nothing that made any real difference.

I can confirm this good experience with the cycle-dynamics ti cassettes. My two setups: 11-26 (8-speed) : 134 gr. and 11-30 (8-speed): 184 gr.
Depending on the exchange rate EUR / U$ I paid about 85-100 EUR, really a fair price I think... Btw, you can get single spare-cogwheels, if they are worn out...
Need for speed ;-)

Dave

by Dave

I went back through my e-mails, it was Stronglight who informed me they stopped producing these 4 years ago, not Kocmo.

Today I spoke with the U.S distributor for Stronglight, and Zefal told me that they just didn't move the product as people didn't want to pay what it cost. They did say the product was made in Russia, where titanium production is popular.

Cycle Dynamics has not returned my e-mail.....

If I got a Cycle Dynamics cassette I would want to send out the cogs for TiNi or TiAlNi surface coating.

YetiRacer

by YetiRacer

wow shiny :)

any of these ti cassettes would be fine if they were just on a pair of race wheels, used about once or twice a week during the season, right? i hate buying new cassettes every year.

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

Yeti - the ti cassettes last much longer than standard ones. I have had my Cycle Dynamics cassette on for two years and it looks almost brand new.

tremor

by tremor

I have the Stronglight...202 g real weight in 11-32, shift very good!!

King Weel

by King Weel

Thats only 38-40 g less than my XTR at double the costs. I can think of more efficient ways to save some weight without sacrifying performance. Although the gold TiNi coating looks nice... :wink: !
Specialized S-Works Allez (the shiny one :) )
Turner Czar custom
Working on a new S-Works Tarmac custom!

Tippster

by Tippster

Xterra Racer wrote:Yeti - the ti cassettes last much longer than standard ones. I have had my Cycle Dynamics cassette on for two years and it looks almost brand new.

Instead of quoting "I have had my Cycle Dynamics cassette on for two years and it looks almost brand new." It would be more helpful to have an estimate of the milage doen one the cassette and under what type of conditions. e.g. dry and dusty, wet and muddy, etc etc

Some riders may only do 500 miles a year while others do 5,000 miles. Big differences.
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

IanB

by IanB

Tippster wrote:Instead of quoting "I have had my Cycle Dynamics cassette on for two years and it looks almost brand new." It would be more helpful to have an estimate of the milage doen one the cassette and under what type of conditions. e.g. dry and dusty, wet and muddy, etc etc

Some riders may only do 500 miles a year while others do 5,000 miles. Big differences.

The longevity of a cassette (steel or ti) will also depend on how often you change the chain once it starts to become stretched.

I realise this misses the original point of thread, but as far as cost efficient weight savings are concerned, surely DA 12-27 is the way to go? - as discussed here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3448

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com