My new Giant XTC 2. Help?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

AdyM

by AdyM

Hi, I recently (this evening) received my Giant XTC advanced 2 (27.5)
http://www.shopgiant-bicycles.co.uk/379 ... cification
See link for specification, hopefully I'll upload some photos soon!
(Well it's actually a 3 upgraded to the spec of the 2, apart from the forks and giant's own brand cockpit)

Anyway it's an XL frame and is a weighty 24lbs (10.9kgs) with all stock parts.
The only thing that isn't stock are the wheels I have Hope pro 2 on ZTR Crests :)

What are the quickest and hopefully cheapest ways to trim that weight down, to at least below 10kgs. Bars/stem/seatpost/saddle?
I am about 78kgs so will probably be right on the 85kg limit of some WW parts with camelbak etc on long rides.

Weight Weenies, do your worse. Thanks in Advance :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

24 lbs is not that heavy for a geared MTB with a fork that weighs around 4 lbs. The easiest way to lose weight is to compute the grams per dollar and do the things that offer the most grams per dollar but I can tell you it will probably cost a lot to get to 10 kgs.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I think 10.9 kgs is quite heavy with those wheels installed. The frame should be quite light I think. Are you using tubes?

Also, I can't believe that a Fox CTD 27.5" 100 mm fork weighs 4 lbs. That sounds very heavy, even by Fox standards.

But yeah, otherwise I would probably be looking at new handlebars (something like Truvativ Noir T30 10S), new stem and seatpost. Probably a new saddle as well, but that's a matter of personal preference (saddles that are flat seen from the side, such as the Tundra 2, doesn't fit me).

Which pedals are you using?

AdyM

by AdyM

The forks are actually RS Reba RL's due to the huge pain in the *rse at giant. So I think they are about 1600g.
I'm really fussy about saddles too, I spent many weeks deciding on the new saddle for my road bike, settled on the arione vs, but the tundra saddles are very flat with no cut out so probably won't suit me.

The pedals are XT race and if I changed them to non-shimano it'd be a huge pain as I use shimano pedals on all my bikes with one pair of shoes!

Quite surprising you think the wheels are heavy, I know they won't be the lightest set available, but then again I'm not the lightest guy so would have to go carbon to get serious weight off and my wallet won't stretch that far. Atm they are running tubes but that will change very very soon.

So far I've seen a ritchey bar/stem which is 180g + 103g at good prices which itself will save about 300g and is over 2g/£. Plus when I change the bars I've got some ESI racer grips to fit for another 50g saving over the lockons.

As for saddle, I've seen the syncros carbon railed ones at half price, so 160g for £59.99! And then will need a suitable carbon friendly post, probably a thomson MP/Elite depending on the state of my finances and if the 330mm MP post will be long enough.

So those 4 items, bar, stem, saddle, grips, will save 500g (approx) for £200, sounds like a good deal to me.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Yeah, that sounds like a good deal. How heavy is that wheelset?

I still find it hard to believe that it weighs almost 11 kgs. Are you using a reliable scale?

AdyM

by AdyM

I haven't weighed them, I think they should be 1550-1600g, the scale was just the one from the bike shop when I collected it.

I have ordered ritchey bars (180g) and stem (103); syncros saddle w/ carbon rails (160) and seat post (205 for 400mm) to keep things matching and the syncros post was half price making it the same as the thomson, only carbon and 80g less. All or £256, not bad if you ask me. Then I'll also fit the ESI grips for another 50g saving.

When the parts have arrived and fitted I'll take it to a bike shop for a weigh in to see what's what. Also hope to weigh the parts when they arrive. (I'm a Materials Science student, so can weigh parts accurately in the labs)

Excited!

Thanks guys, stay tuned...

Colin

by Colin

We've got a couple XTC 2's at my work that came in around that weight, so I'd guess it's probably pretty accurate.
Formula R1's can be had cheap if you look, and would shave a fair amount off. I'd also look at Xpedo or Ritchey pedals. Way lighter than your XT's and work with Shimano cleats.

You won't loose much (probably nothing), but I would swap those tires. Racing Ralph's are great tires, but the ones on that bike are the low end Performance model which don't grip that well, don't roll that well, and are not very puncture resistant.

It is a sweet bike, I really like the new XTC frames!

AdyM

by AdyM

I didn't know the xpedo pedals could be used with shimano cleats, are the 8 ti's good for winter weather? Also do you know if they have a weight limit on the spindle?

I might change the tires when I go tubeless, possibly to RoRo Evo, as I probably need the extra grip for the riding I do, I ran Nic/Ralph on my old bike which is a really good combo IMO.

Other than that, really loving the new frame and it's my first time with a QR15 and 142x12 and they really seem to be working well. Also I'm hoping the new bits will be arriving tomorrow :D

Colin

by Colin

They won't work as well as Eggbeater's, but they'll work just as good as any Shimano pedals. They have a 180lbs weight limit, although I've known a couple of guys who've run them and been heavier than the weight limit, YMMV.
Rocket Rons sound like they may be a pretty good compromise for you, then!

AdyM

by AdyM

Ok, new parts are fitted.
Ritchey WCS Carbon 2X bar, 710mm, 190g from 319g
Ritchey C260 Stem, 110mm, 111g from 176g
Syncros FL 1.0 Seatpost 400mm, 246g from 337g
Syncros RP 1.0 Saddle, 181g from 316g
ESI Racers Edge Grips 45g from 99g
Bar plugs 6g from 8g

Total Weight saved 476g! Over a pound just because the giant stock kit is really really heavy. Surprised to find the post as heavy as that, but then if it's strong I don't care. Saddle looks similar to fizik antares but narrower, will see how I get on with that, I ordered the XR 1.0 which looks like a SLR but they sent the wrong one! Nevermind.

Bike feels noticeable lighter, especially at the front end so can't wait to get out and try it later tonight!

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Your bike has Performance level Schwalbe tires, right? You should ditch those and get a pair of Pacestar level tires instead (without snakeskin and tubeless-ready). 27.5 x 2.25 Rocket Ron Pacestar is 490 g. Racing Ralphs (also 2.25 wide) are 530 g each according to Schwalbe.

I can't find 27.5 x 2.1 Racing Ralph Performance. But 27.5 x 2.25 RaRa Performance are listed at 585 g on Schwalbe's website.

So my guess is you could shave off some weight there. No matter what, I'd take tires 2.25" wide.

AdyM

by AdyM

Yeah the tires will be next to go, probably 2.25 RoRo, or maybe go the conti route for some x king or mountain king, they have some good prices for them on BikeDiscount.de First race on this bike on Sunday, can't wait to get a number strapped to it and blast it around :)

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

If you take a pair of 2.25 RoRos and go tubeless I reckon you'll save more than 200 g. They (bike manufacturers) normally include very(!) heavy tubes.

AdyM

by AdyM

Yeah, just give the bank balance a little while to recover and that will be next, along with those pedals, if jejames still have stock :)
The bike is feeling light, no problem lifting the front end over little obstacles, obviously helped with the extra wheel size over my old 26". I can see why this WW stuff is so appealing ;)
The saddle was surprisingly comfy too, yes firm, and stiff, but no soreness or numbness over a 2 hour-ish ride.

So I think we're done for now, next step will be the tires, as I don't want to be messing with punctures.

Also I think more than 200g could be saved, around 50g saving per tyre, plus another 200g (guess) saving per tube, then around 60-80ml sealant and however much tape weighs. So could be close to 200g per wheel! (Unless that's what you meant). That would be an incredible weight saving.

AdyM

by AdyM

Ok, So I am now running tubeless! I went for Nobby Nic 2.25 in the end, seeing as I have had great experience with them in the past and the horrible weather here in the UK shows no sign of becoming any drier anytime soon. Changing the tires also gave me a great excuse to line the tire and rim labels up :D

So what comes next? The obvious option would be a 1x10 setup, however I don't think I can do this because my riding is far too varied with some road sections to get to the trails, then the trails themselves vary an awful lot. I can run a 36t 1x10 comfortably on the trails close to home, but not when I'm in a race/the trails near me at university. I could need as small as a 30t on the horrible muddy climbs.

Any ideas? I also hope to get the bike weighed soon, although I don't think the tyre changes will have been a huge difference opting for grip over weight.

Should also add, my girlfriend is currently travelling in Argentina and I would quite like to visit her over Easter, so I need value for my weight savings (hence the 1x10 argument)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com