Wavy Spring Washer for SRAM Cranks

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
js

by js

I'd put aside a crank to use on a 'cross build and now that I'm finally building it up, I'm missing the wavy spring washer that sits on the driveside, between the crank and the BB. I searched through the SRAM docs for the replacement part and it doesn't seem to be there... Google searches reveal nothing as well.

Can someone please tell me how I can go about getting this bit - I can not believe that my expensive crank is useless because I'm missing the £0.02 washer!!

by Weenie

athletic91

by athletic91

my red crank that came from crc did not have the wavy washer

Tibber67

by Tibber67

there should be an aluminum spacer ring for the drive side, and a threaded ring with a set screw to provide bearing preload on the non-drive side. No wavy washer needed.

Acbike

by Acbike

Is this a bb30 crank? Because they do need a wave washer.

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

If its BB30 I think they all generic, you can use Cannondale/FSA etc. I got a 'Dale one knocking around if your stuck.
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

js

by js

Thanks guys.

Sorry for missing the BB standard - it's not a BB30, just a regular Rival crank. I've had three Rival cranks and one Force put onto bikes and they've all come with the wavy washer - I've obviously just misplaced this one when I put the crank into storage.

I appreciate the link to the FSA one, though I'm not sure it's quite the same size. The SRAM one is definitely a thicker ring (bigger diff - ID vs OD), but the more concerning issue is that I think it's probably a bit wavier, so I'm not sure this FSA one would take up all the slack to keep the seals in place.

I still can't believe that SRAM doesn't stock this as a replacement part.

athletic91

by athletic91

Does the wavy washer come with the Crank or BB.?

Now im alittle worried as there is no washer in mine, using a token BB with a red GXP crank here
Last edited by athletic91 on Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

js

by js

I'm really starting to wonder if I've got this all a bit confused then. The last few BB's I've worked on (SRAM at least) have been BB86's, which have had and do require the wavy washer. I checked a regular GXP at work today and there isn't one there, but the guy who's bike it is isn't 100% trustworthy on maintenance matters.

I'm going to have to double check my wife's 'cross bike to see if I have in fact gone completely mental - I'll let you guys know what I find, as I don't want to cause concern with others if this is just a BB86/BB30 required part that has no place on a regular GXP.

athletic91

by athletic91

Thanks JS for giving me the opportunity to open my Red GXP crankset to clean out some junk also today:)
(besides checking for the washer haha)

js

by js

Well yes, it appears I've been found out - I really was just trying to get you all to service your poor, neglected BB's. :D

Or option B is that I had simply been popping open my BB86 set-up so often (about once a month this summer to keep creaking at bay), that I completely forgot what previous set-ups were like.

So yes, the wavy washer is only needed for BB86 & BB30 set-ups - if you're running a normal GXP BB, then you don't need a wavy washer and apparently shouldn't have one anyway. Sorry for the confusion guys, but thanks for helping to set things straight.

Group hug?

Cento

by Cento

so how's your crank works? any dragging or rubbing on the drive side arm? assuming no washers both sides?

js wrote:Well yes, it appears I've been found out - I really was just trying to get you all to service your poor, neglected BB's. :D

Or option B is that I had simply been popping open my BB86 set-up so often (about once a month this summer to keep creaking at bay), that I completely forgot what previous set-ups were like.

So yes, the wavy washer is only needed for BB86 & BB30 set-ups - if you're running a normal GXP BB, then you don't need a wavy washer and apparently shouldn't have one anyway. Sorry for the confusion guys, but thanks for helping to set things straight.

Group hug?

nitropowered

by nitropowered

The wavy washer is needed on BB90. The standard english GXP bbs don't need the wavy washer

Cento

by Cento

My sram force crank was rubbing on the drive side,Im installing it to my Trek 1.5,,I was just wondering maybe its not compatible,anyone knows the BB shell width of the trek 1.5? I just noticed too that my new sram BB comes with two black spacers,do I need to use those? thanks for the help.

nitropowered wrote:The wavy washer is needed on BB90. The standard english GXP bbs don't need the wavy washer

by Weenie

nitropowered

by nitropowered

no you dont need those 2 black spacers