Extralite E-Bones W ?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mep
Posts: 524
Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 4:11 pm

by Mep

Been trying to find some opinions and reviews of this relatively new crankset but to no avail.

I'm aware that some on these forums, like Giant05 and Morris presently own these cranksets. How do they perform ? I've seen the gorgeous pictures but what matters more is their shifting precision and stiffness.

Also, do the weights tally ?

Thanks in advance.

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



dlight
Posts: 431
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:37 am
Location: Colorado

by dlight

I've been waiting for the same also. Please give us your opinion on the ride of the cranks.

User avatar
tremor
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:54 am
Location: Milan - Italy

by tremor

Real weight 497g ....

For the performance, just wait a few days...

User avatar
roadrunner_gs
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:26 pm
Location: Berlin/Germany

by roadrunner_gs

Here is a opinion in german.
http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showpost.p ... stcount=18

translation:
"Yesterday I participated in a race. The weather was more terrible than i ever experienced. On climbs the chain was transportated on the smallest chainring an stucked between this and the frame - don't know if this is due to the wear of chain.
This morning i disassembled the crank from my bike and oh god there was a huge lake in the bottom-bracket. The mud was also in there. Both bearings are worn now and maybee crap soon. It seems that the seals weren't working. Also the crankarms look heavily used now, the anodization is heavily worn.

conclusion: Very light crankset but if they are good for raceconditions is to be proven by further test. Both bearings have to be replaced soon for sure (that gona be expensive!).

I wrote the report to Sergio Riva. Now the customer support of Extralite would reveal to us.

http://www.tatendrang.ch/Bike/ebones-w_crank/index.html "

But bear in mind: This is only one test from one person!
Don't transport over to other pieces of this crankset!
Last edited by roadrunner_gs on Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
tremor
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:54 am
Location: Milan - Italy

by tremor

On the scale :
Attachments
E-BONES W 3.jpg

dlight
Posts: 431
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:37 am
Location: Colorado

by dlight

@ Tremor: What do you think of the seals on the bearings? Does it look fragile?

User avatar
Tippster
Posts: 2520
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:11 pm
Location: Frederica (Denmark)

by Tippster

Any chance of some first ride feedback???
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

User avatar
Cyco
Posts: 1903
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2002 4:49 am

by Cyco

That black and gold colour scheme looks awesome.

Does the rest of the bike have a matching colouration?
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

User avatar
Tippster
Posts: 2520
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:11 pm
Location: Frederica (Denmark)

by Tippster

Cyco wrote:That black and gold colour scheme looks awesome.

Does the rest of the bike have a matching colouration?


Chris King do some nice gold coloured hubs and headsets...
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

User avatar
roadrunner_gs
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:26 pm
Location: Berlin/Germany

by roadrunner_gs

Tippster wrote:Any chance of some first ride feedback???


Look at my post. :roll:

Ole
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:29 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

by Ole

roadrunner_gs wrote:"Yesterday I participated in a race. The weather was more terrible than i ever experienced. On climbs the chain was transportated on the smallest chainring an stucked between this and the frame - don't know if this is due to the wear of chain.
This morning i disassembled the crank from my bike and oh god there was a huge lake in the bottom-bracket. The mud was also in there. Both bearings are worn now and maybee crap soon. It seems that the seals weren't working. Also the crankarms look heavily used now, the anodization is heavily worn.


If you have a pool of water and mud in your BB shell, it's most likely entering the frame somewhere else than through the BB bearings. I noticed in some other pictures you posted on mtb-news.de that you have a Spezialized Epic with a Extralite seatpost. The cradle part of the head of that seatpost has a huge hole in it. There's also a smal gap between the back of the cradle and the post that needs to be sealed with silicone after the seat is adjusted to the correct angle. If you left both of these holes open, the water and mud that splashed up underneath your seat had direct access into your frame. And since the Epic has a standard seat tube, all that mud and water ended up right into your BB.

Don't blame the BB if you didn't seal your frame properly. Also, always drill a hole at the bottom of the BB shell, water will ALWAYS find a way into a frame. Just taking the frame out into colder weather will suck moist air in through bottle cage bolts, headset and seatpost.

As for the anodizing being worn, that always happens with anodized cranks. Sand/mud is much, much harder than anodizing, and will wear through it in no time. The only way to keep the finish good is to order silver cranks, or protect the part of the crank where your shoes will rub. I guess you can tell exactly where that is...

Sorry you had problems, though, that's not fun when you've spent all that money on nice parts. Buy new bearings, seal your frame, drill the BB, and you should be good to go.


Ole.

User avatar
tremor
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:54 am
Location: Milan - Italy

by tremor

dlight wrote:@ Tremor: What do you think of the seals on the bearings? Does it look fragile?


No, it doesn't. I think that are high quality bearings, more than shimano's...

User avatar
tremor
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:54 am
Location: Milan - Italy

by tremor

Ole wrote:
roadrunner_gs wrote:"Yesterday I participated in a race. The weather was more terrible than i ever experienced. On climbs the chain was transportated on the smallest chainring an stucked between this and the frame - don't know if this is due to the wear of chain.
This morning i disassembled the crank from my bike and oh god there was a huge lake in the bottom-bracket. The mud was also in there. Both bearings are worn now and maybee crap soon. It seems that the seals weren't working. Also the crankarms look heavily used now, the anodization is heavily worn.


If you have a pool of water and mud in your BB shell, it's most likely entering the frame somewhere else than through the BB bearings. I noticed in some other pictures you posted on mtb-news.de that you have a Spezialized Epic with a Extralite seatpost. The cradle part of the head of that seatpost has a huge hole in it. There's also a smal gap between the back of the cradle and the post that needs to be sealed with silicone after the seat is adjusted to the correct angle. If you left both of these holes open, the water and mud that splashed up underneath your seat had direct access into your frame. And since the Epic has a standard seat tube, all that mud and water ended up right into your BB.

Don't blame the BB if you didn't seal your frame properly. Also, always drill a hole at the bottom of the BB shell, water will ALWAYS find a way into a frame. Just taking the frame out into colder weather will suck moist air in through bottle cage bolts, headset and seatpost.

As for the anodizing being worn, that always happens with anodized cranks. Sand/mud is much, much harder than anodizing, and will wear through it in no time. The only way to keep the finish good is to order silver cranks, or protect the part of the crank where your shoes will rub. I guess you can tell exactly where that is...

Sorry you had problems, though, that's not fun when you've spent all that money on nice parts. Buy new bearings, seal your frame, drill the BB, and you should be good to go.


Ole.


Yes!!! I think the same...

Macros_&&
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:22 am
Location: South Africa

by Macros_&&

roadrunner_gs

http://www.tatendrang.ch/Bike/epic_part ... age21.html

Does your S-works weigh 1696g with the shock?

User avatar
roadrunner_gs
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:26 pm
Location: Berlin/Germany

by roadrunner_gs

It is not mine epic!
If you would have read carefully on www.mtb-news.de you would have noticed that i have mentioned the to-low weight there too!
And if you look closer you would notice that the Specialized Epic-frame ist standig on the ground with one chainstay and on the scale with the other. :roll:
And drilling a hole into a 2000 Euro frameset scares the hell out of me. :shock: I wouldn't even do that to my 160 Euro frame!

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



Post Reply